1.    #1  
    Now with the 750v announcement, its dimensions are confirmed. So the 750v uses miniSD (for which there is no 4GB card yet), has a smaller battery, less internal memory (48MB TOTAL based on pics leaked earlier), IS ALMOST THE SAME SIZE (millimeters different), and cannot be used with an unlimited data plan.

Seems to me the wx should be considered Palm's flagship WM product. The only things the v has are voice and data simultaneously and no external antenna. I was waiting for the 750v announcement before taking the wx for a trial (hoping for a significantly thinner body), but it looks like I need not wait any longer.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    So the 750v uses miniSD (for which there is no 4GB card yet), has a smaller battery, less internal memory (48MB TOTAL based on pics leaked earlier), IS ALMOST THE SAME SIZE (millimeters different), and cannot be used with an unlimited data plan..

SanDisk Introduces 4GB miniSDHC Flash Card
    Hot on the heels of Samsung's 64 GB CF and SD card announcement SanDisk announced the first 4GB miniSD cards. MiniSD had previously only been available up to 2GB, which has inhibited many from upgrading to never devices which only accept this format. This should be welcome news then, except these cards are SDHC cards, which means they will only work in devices with updated firmware, and these are not currently very common.

Read SanDisk's full press release here.
    http://www.clieuk.co.uk/wm.shtml

There are inherent advantages in the GSM version, especially Quadband GSM, Tri-band UMTS. Its really a world phone.

Surur
  3.    #3  
    GSM advantages aside. For the US user who rarely travels internationally or wants urban 3G NOW, it seems like an unlocked v would have nothing to offer over the wx.

AD2P and the messaging app should be hacked and on wx's across the US in a month.

I SERIOUSLY doubt this PALM device will support SDHC, so the SD/miniSD argument still stands.

I assumed that miniSD and a smaller battery meant a thinner body. But if not, why bother with these 2 changes? Be honest-would GSM users not prefer a GSM-based wx w/o an antenna?
    Last edited by skfny; 09/12/2006 at 03:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    I assumed that miniSD and a smaller battery meant a thinner body. But if not, why bother with these 2 changes? Be honest-would GSM users not prefer a GSM-based wx w/o an antenna?
    This is of course seriously true. Why, after all those big changed, did they only lose 1mm in thickness. Its really ridiculous, especially with all the superthin competition.

Surur
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Hmm, I was begininng to understand that GSM/UMTS use less battery juice than CDMA/EvDO. If that's true, then a smaller battery and case would make sense. Time will tell, but I think the 750v (or its form factor) will be the flagship because it seems to have found the sweetspot between smartphones that are too big to carry in your pocket and those too small to be productive. For now, it's the flagship in Europe since GSM is its standard. When Cingular releases the 750v in the US, many 700p, w, and wx owners will be drooling.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by daver42 View Post
    Hmm, I was begininng to understand that GSM/UMTS use less battery juice than CDMA/EvDO. If that's true, then a smaller battery and case would make sense. Time will tell, but I think the 750v (or its form factor) will be the flagship because it seems to have found the sweetspot between smartphones that are too big to carry in your pocket and those too small to be productive. For now, it's the flagship in Europe since GSM is its standard. When Cingular releases the 750v in the US, many 700p, w, and wx owners will be drooling.
    1) If it uses less juice, using the same sized battery would be an even better idea to provide excellent battery life.
    2) The form factor is VIRTUALLY THE SAME. ONE MILLIMETER DIFFERENCE IN THICKNESS and no antenna. So the wx is as pocketable as the v. Both hit the sweet spot.
    3) I truly doubt you'll see many WX owners drooling at the similarly-sized but lower-specced v when it hits the US. Count me among the droolers for a much thinner Treo, but not for 1 mm.
    Sounds like 2nd best to me. It must mean that their won't be a GSM wx. Otherwise who would this phone appeal to? Does that phone target a different category of users, aside from the GSM reason?
    The changes they made probably had to compensate for the larger GSM UMTS modem. Or the sim card reader, which may be different now because of the UMTS. Who knows. But the specs are give and take. Less RAM, a2dp capable. Shows some advances here, some there. Doesn't make sense to us, but it seems like Palm needed a device to sell INTERNATIONALLY for a decent price. Save a few bucks on the battery, mini-sd was a cheaper option than the SD, perhaps they used some memory units left over from old phones. Whatever it may be it sounds like they were looking to cut some corners to make it affordable, BUT NOT OBSOLETE at the same time.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    The changes they made probably had to compensate for the larger GSM UMTS modem. Or the sim card reader, which may be different now because of the UMTS. Who knows. But the specs are give and take. Less RAM, a2dp capable. Shows some advances here, some there. Doesn't make sense to us, but it seems like Palm needed a device to sell INTERNATIONALLY for a decent price. Save a few bucks on the battery, mini-sd was a cheaper option than the SD, perhaps they used some memory units left over from old phones. Whatever it may be it sounds like they were looking to cut some corners to make it affordable, BUT NOT OBSOLETE at the same time.
    So Palm did what they had to do for the GSM market, but in the process made a device that won't leave 700wx owners envious.
    The antenna might make wx users envious. However, there is someone here that's about to offer 650 replacement antennas that are smaller. They plan on 700 antennas at some point. However, the 650 replacement antenna might work on the 700 series. They will test it out once they have their stock in.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=117934
    Last edited by stroths; 09/12/2006 at 05:02 PM.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    That replacement antenna looks really good. Hope they get them out soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    mini-sd was a cheaper option than the SD, perhaps they used some memory units left over from old phones.
    I bet they get some kind of rebate for using miniSD from SanDisk et al.

Surur
  13.    #13  
    If you look at the Treonauts preview, you see the battery is almost 50-70% slimmer. Unless the UTMS radio is a behemoth compared to the EVDO radio, I can't see why the v is ONLY 1 mm thinner than the wx/p/w/650.

http://euro.palm.com/uk/en/products/...artphones.html