Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Palm is rumored to be working on their own Linux kernel OS, they just said it in an interview with PalmAddict.

http://gadgetsonthego.net/2006/09/ed...about-pdn.html

"The first thing I asked Mike was why ALP was so conspicuous by its absence from the press release? Mike told me that Palm’s first concern was with the companies developing for the operating systems being used on existing Palm devices. Regarding, ALP, he told me that “…Palm will continue its negotiations with PalmSource/Access”…and that “…Palm has been collaborating with PalmSource to develop a new OS that has a Linux Kernel.”

For the time being if you want multitasking on a Palm get a Windows Mobile Treo.
    Jimmie Geddes
    OK that looks hopeful, but how long before we see some progress, samples, etc.?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    “…Palm has been collaborating with PalmSource to develop a new OS that has a Linux Kernel.”
    If that's true it's pretty surprising news, but am I the only one for whom it doesn't quite ring true? They're collaborating to develop ALP but are are still in negotiations? What could be their input into the collaboration and what are they negotiating exactly (rights to use the OS they're helping develop?). I'm not saying the report is wrong, the quotes seem to be direct attributions, just seems a bit odd to me.
    No, I think what they're collaboarting on isn't necessarily ALP. Before PalmSource got purchased by ACCESS they had already finished Cobalt, and halted all devlopment on Garnet and Cobalt to focus on Palm OS for Linux. They probably were already deeply into Palm OS for Linux when they got bought by ACCESS, but also had been working with Palm Inc. In that same interview Palm Inc. also says they have licensed Garnet until 2010, in the past it was 2009. If you listen to the 1src podcast last week you get some ideas on what might be happening. I'm surprised that someone from Palm Inc. has come out and stated they were working with PalmSource on a new OS with a Linuxx kernel, they lead you to believe it's ALP, but many believe Palm is building their own Linux OS. Take a look at this editorial.
    http://www.1src.com/?m=show&id=1683
    Jimmie Geddes
    Jimmie, perhaps I'm misunderstanding you. I can believe that Palm is building its own Linux-based OS but are you suggesting that Palm is collaborating with Access to build a Linux-based OS that isn't ALP? So Access is building two OSs, ALP (which it's doing on its own) and something else (which its doing with Palm)? My first thought is that that would make Access its own competitor, but I guess that's not necessarily so if the two OSs are different, have different target markets etc. All seems rather odd though and I'd be grateful for any further insight you can give.
    I think Palm "might" be licensing parts of ALP that they were already using in "Palm OS for Linux" before if got turned into ALP, it sounds like there are some legal things going on. Palm Inc. won't even say ALP, but they'll say

“…Palm has been collaborating with PalmSource to develop a new OS that has a Linux Kernel.”???
    Jimmie Geddes
    Palm trying to get what they think they're owed and Access doing their best not to give it away? Sounds like a marvelous collaboration!
    Yup, it sounds like there are definitely some "legal" things going on. Remember a few months ago when Palm filed this?

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8...r-next-gen-os/

"We have a license agreement with PalmSource which extends through December 2, 2009. Our license of the Palm OS from PalmSource is critical to the operation of many of our products. We rely on PalmSource to provide the operating system for all of our handheld and a significant portion of our smartphone products.

[...]

Contemporaneously with the license agreement, we entered into a co-development agreement with PalmSource to develop a next- generation Palm OS for use in future Palm products. PalmSource did not timely meet certain of the milestones under the co-development agreement, relieving us of our obligation to make minimum royalty payments under the license agreement after calendar year 2006. We are presently in negotiations with PalmSource to expand our development and distribution rights to the current version of the Palm OS. If we are unable to successfully conclude these negotiations, it may adversely affect our ability to develop and distribute new products based on a next- generation version of the Palm OS. Regardless, we will continue to release new products based on the current version of the Palm OS. "

Now Garnet is licensed through 2010? They won't even say the word ALP. I am thinking that they have more involved with the linux kernel OS they were collaborating with PalmSource (not ACCESS). Isn't it strange they refer to them as PalmSource? I could be wrong, but there's something more to the story, and the fact that Palm won't even say ALP says something.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Can anyone who has used the 750 and the 700 or 650 give us any indication if the loss of the antenna has caused a reduction in signal quality? I must admit that I have a strong suspicion some of us who live in some of the weaker signal areas may be pretty unhappy with this hardware change.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Contemporaneously with the license agreement, we entered into a co-development agreement with PalmSource to develop a next- generation Palm OS for use in future Palm products. PalmSource did not timely meet certain of the milestones under the co-development agreement, relieving us of our obligation to make minimum royalty payments under the license agreement after calendar year 2006.
    That's referring to Cobalt is it not?
    No I don't think that's Cobalt. I agree with some of the previous comments, Palm seems allergic to the word ALP, so IMHO they have no intention of licensing it. Why then do they need to work with Access? Palm OS compatability. Even if they built their own Linux OS from the ground up, they can't legally make it compatible with existing Palm OS apps since Access owns all that now.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    "Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive." Not even MS, at its most machiavellian, could top these guys.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234