Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    It is a truly hateful thought. Not only does one have to learn a new system, its configuration, interface, controls, and ideosyncrocies but find, pay for, install, and learn a whole new set of applications. The idea is about as attractive as chewing glass.
    Really? I tried POS to PPC 2002 and then POS to PPC 2003SE, and yes both were unpleasant. On the other hand I really enjoyed the XP to OSX transition. The difference is that (for me) POS and the POS devices were better than the two PPC OSs those devices but OSX is better than XP (... for me; I don't want to start a war of words about this). The problems I had with PPC 2002 and Toshiba e730 (slow, big, terrible battery life, bad synchronisation) and 2003SE and the i-mate Jam (bad usability one-handed) seem to be fixed in WM5 and I'm really looking forward to giving it a go.
    I'd move to OSX permanently if most things supported it. Almost(not always) every time I go to some site for a download, it's XP only this and XP only that!! GRRR...
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Palm abandoning their own OS, plus caving in to MSFT, never clued you in?
    All right. You win. I am a slow learner.
    No, you're loyal to Palm. Those loyal to Palm always have hope. I just have a feeling when they caved in to MSFT, they may not be devoting too much time to their own OS. I could be wrong, but since they went so far as to tweak WM5 like the Palm OS, that doesn't look good to me.

When they went to WM, that's when I lost MY loyalty to Palm. They are no longer committed to the Palm OS. Garnet could use a major retool, all we get are little updates with decimal increases. I'm not giving them another $400-$500 for another phone with barely any software updates(the 680/Nitro). Even if the phone does have UMTS.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I'd move to OSX permanently if most things supported it. Almost(not always) every time I go to some site for a download, it's XP only this and XP only that!! GRRR...
    Hand on heart, I can't think of a a thing I could do on XP that I can't do with OSX. That's not to say that every XP app has an OSX version, of course they don't, but I've been able to find alternatives (often much better ones too) that have the same or similar functionality. Of course others may have very different experiences depending on what they need from a computer, gamers in particular are not as well catered for with OSX. The iMac I'm typing this on is dual boot (OSX/XP) so that my son can play Half-Life 2. Also, as I plan to switch to WM5 soon I maybe playing a somewhat different tune. Installing those WM5 apps that come only as .exe files will need dual boot or virtualisation software.
    That is definitely going to be a conflict. WM doesn't play very nice with OSX. They really need to release AS for Mac. I guess they think Mac users won't use WM. Or maybe they just want to make things harder for Mac users(this is probably likely).

Another thing I hate, I don't think I can play DRM music on a Mac. I don't think Rhapsody works on Mac, does it? That's another problem for me. Music subscriptions are inaccessible on Mac. At least from what I remember seeing in system requirements. And of course, the iPod won't take WMA, so that's a no go too. I'm going to be burning music to CDs and then hope I can rip MP3s from them so I can then play ALL my music on my iPod.

Rhapsody is stupid too, though. What uses .rax files??? I only bought from them because their store actually has more dance music than iTunes(yes, Apple does NOT have it all). More CD burning for me. Everybody is so proprietary!

7. Wiz
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    When they went to WM, that's when I lost MY loyalty to Palm. They are no longer committed to the Palm OS.
    What if you look at it from a different angle? Let's take the operating system out of the equasion. I'd say they are commited to usability regardless of the platform. With the Treo 750v Palm has brought many much needed improvements to the WM platform, and most likely have patented them in the process (hopefully they at least were that clever

Microsoft has done wonders with the WM platform, but mainly from the perspectives of standardisation and flexibility (anyone can develop anything as long as they stick to Microsoft's rules) and the perspective of performance (true multitasking). From a usability perspective, the WM interface always has remained very spartan and suffered from not-so-carefully-thought-through decisions.

Over the years however Palm has sort of lost control over their own PalmOS by giving into manufacturers such as Sony who always demanded to be able to customize the OS until deep into the core. That is why a Wifi card for instance would function properly on one particular device while it would be useless on another one, even within the same OS revision.

What Palm always has excelled at however was the user experience. Whatever device they'd bring out, you could at least expect it to be easy and intuitive to handle. That is what Palm has been adding to WM5, and frankly, I admire Palm for that. Of all the WM devices I owned, the Treo 750v provides the best user experience. And that's only because key usability features already available on the Palm-based Treo's have finally been brought to the WM platform. What Microsoft did not manage for the last 5 years, Palm did in less then one. Now that is what I call a feat!

I for one would not neccessarily want to see Palm abandon the PalmOS, but I sure as hell want to see them keep improving the WM platform
    ---------------------------
    The one and only Treo 750v
    ---------------------------
    This is where the problem lies though. Palm had an incentive to keep loyal customers. Palm OS users needed to go to Palm. MSFT users can choose to go anywhere. Palm has lost(more like gave up) it's incentive. Even with improvements to WM5, the 750 may not sell well due to other factors Palm fell short on.

I would like to know why Sony and Samsung quit using the Palm OS also. Did they know something we didn't at the time? Like that Palm decided to dump it themselves?
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 09/17/2006 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiz View Post
    What if you look at it from a different angle? Let's take the operating system out of the equasion. I'd say they are commited to usability regardless of the platform..............
    Perhaps. Perhaps they have abandoned both the roots of their success and their most loyal customers.
    You guessed it IMO! Have fun tweaking MSFT, Palm!

When I went back to Palm OS from WM5, I could see how stagnant Palm OS is becoming. Thanks again Palm, for not working on your own system!

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Thanks again Palm, for not working on your own system!
    But it's not their own system, Palm license PalmOS in just the same way as they license WM. Sure you could argue that they were naive or stupid to split the company in the first place.
    Palm has added to PalmOS, but its a shaky foundation to build on. NVFS was Palmsource's devil work, but the CDMA phone stack was Palm, so EVDO support was probably their work too. The added pocket tunes and kinoma in ROM, so now POS Treo's could also have streaming media. They made the bluetooth stack multi-threaded, so now you can connect to multiple device simultaneously. I'm sure they made a huge number of other changes, probably mainly in the area of one-handed use.

There is only so much one can expect a licensee to do to some-one else's OS. Rewriting the kernel is not one such thing.

Surur
    I still view it as their's basically, but I know what you mean.

Yeah, that made no sense to me why they did that. And it was so confusing for a while. When people said Palm, who were they talking about, Palm the manufacturer or the now Access-owned software? I had to keep figuring that out, because many people were like me and used Palm for both.

Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Palm has added to PalmOS, but its a shaky foundation to build on. NVFS was Palmsource's devil work, but the CDMA phone stack was Palm, so EVDO support was probably their work too. The added pocket tunes and kinoma in ROM, so now POS Treo's could also have streaming media. They made the bluetooth stack multi-threaded, so now you can connect to multiple device simultaneously. I'm sure they made a huge number of other changes, probably mainly in the area of one-handed use.

There is only so much one can expect a licensee to do to some-one else's OS. Rewriting the kernel is not one such thing.

Surur
    I do keep forgetting that now we have to wait for Access to fix the Palm OS, because Palm's dumb self sold their own OS!!!

Then crawled into bed with MSFT! again!!

[COLOR="Navy"]That is definitely going to be a conflict. WM doesn't play very nice with OSX. They really need to release AS for Mac. I guess they think Mac users won't use WM. Or maybe they just want to make things harder for Mac users(this is probably likely).
    Well for simple data sync I'll just use The Missing Sync as I do now for the Treo 650. I've used Hotsync and Activesync and TMS is easily the best for what it does. As I said the only problem is .exe installation files for WM5 apps (TMS handles cab files just fine). I could boot into to XP but I'll have a look at Parallels and see if that solves the problem (the latest versions are supposed to support Activesync). Either way, it shouldn't be a major problem - it's not like I'll be installing apps every day and a fair proportion come as cab files anyway.

Another thing I hate, I don't think I can play DRM music on a Mac. I don't think Rhapsody works on Mac, does it? That's another problem for me. Music subscriptions are inaccessible on Mac. At least from what I remember seeing in system requirements. And of course, the iPod won't take WMA, so that's a no go too. I'm going to be burning music to CDs and then hope I can rip MP3s from them so I can then play ALL my music on my iPod.

Rhapsody is stupid too, though. What uses .rax files??? I only bought from them because their store actually has more dance music than iTunes(yes, Apple does NOT have it all). More CD burning for me. Everybody is so proprietary!
    Personally I won't use DRM music whatever flavour of protection it has (Apple, Microsoft or anyone else) until I absolutely have to. I hope the day never comes when I can't buy a CD other format from which I can rip standard, unprotected files at the bit rate I choose for playback on any device I want to use (now or in the future).
    The main reason I like DRM music: I can't find the CDs of some of the stuff they offer. Old school house music was on records mostly. Compilations got transferred to CD, but then try finding the CDs!! I wish I had the time or resources. We have music stores, but they all carry newer music first and foremost. What I need is time to go to DJ and used CD places and start searching, It's just easier to get the music online in one place.

Another reason: I can also sample new albums before buying them. I used to get a CD, then find only 2 good songs on it.

It's got it's benefits.

I do keep forgetting that now we have to wait for Access to fix the Palm OS, because Palm's dumb self sold their own OS!!!

Then crawled into bed with MSFT! again!!
    The best thing Palm has done is adding MSFT to its portfolio of devices.
    Palm is now just another WM smartphone maker, among so many others.

For a whle they were touting iPod and mac support but it was more of an unofficial thing.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast