Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I thought they were available for the US?
    Not sure what "they" refers to but unlocked gsm Treos have been available in other countries before they were offered for sale here. I think that it was the 600 that I ordered from Singapore after Palm reneged on atwo different promised shipments to a US distributor.
    People in this thread still think a new Palm OS is coming? Why?
    They are like Perry; they "believe." Go figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    .........such as that it has USB 2,
    The Palm interview video at http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/906-1.htm explicitly says BT 1.2, in part because there are not many devices to exploit BT 2.0.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Their record of leaks, rumors, speculations, ambiguous public statements, slipped schedules, and preferring one class of customer over another does not justify it.
    I don't think we have many leaked pics of actual Treos that did not turn out to be real models. I can't think of one and I've been here since 2002. That's why I don't understand the paranoia. This isn't slinky we're talking about here. We've seen leaks of a GSM POS Treo 650 "successor". It will be here by year's end. It's one thing when Palm makes an ambigious comment to TC staff. It's another if they tell Wall Street to expect two new Treos. Rest assured, there will be a new POS GSM Treo this year SOMEWHERE in the world.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    The Palm interview video at http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/906-1.htm explicitly says BT 1.2, in part because there are not many devices to exploit BT 2.0.
    USB 2.

Surur
    People in this thread still think a new Palm OS is coming? Why?
    1) Ed Colligan told Wall St there will be two new GSM devices this year.
    2) POS Treos are still selling strong (whether that remains the case in the next 3-6 months remains to be seen).
    3) They have a monopoly on this market and would be foolish to abandon it.
    4) We have seen the pics and rarely are leaked Treo photos not followed by actual products.

There will be a new GSM POS Treo this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    1)
    There will be a new GSM POS Treo this year.
    Sounds just like Perry.
    1) Ed Colligan ......
    Has no street cred.
    1)
    4) We have seen the pics and rarely are leaked Treo photos not followed by actual products.
    How do you tell the difference between a "leaked" picture and a forged one?

What does a leaked picture tell you about timing?

How does one identify the OS from a picture of the device?
    Last edited by whmurray; 09/14/2006 at 06:03 PM.
    How do you tell the difference between a "leaked" picture and a forged one?

What does a leaked picture tell you about timing?

How does one identify the OS from a picture of the device?
    The leaked pic showed Palm OS. There have been very few faked Treo pics at all (the mytreo.net attempt at a WM Treo several years ago comes to mind). But it would be more difficult to forge a 320x320 pic on a 240x240 screen.
    Has no street cred.
    If the CEO of Palm (who has avoided giving any exact dates on pretty much anything in the past) tells Wall Street that there will be two new Treos by the end of the year that will help Palm in global markets, I believe. If he said to expect a new version of POS by next September, I'd have reason for doubt. But there is no techincal reason they can't pull off a GSM POS Treo running Garnet. The fact that he's making this statement in September about a potential November release tells me the design is mostly finalized.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    The people at the Nokia store in L.A. told me that if I buy an E61 from CompUSA online there is Nokia factory warranty. A bit safer than importers, if true.

That's cool!! The only thing I hate is they want almost double what the importers charge.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Not sure what "they" refers to but unlocked gsm Treos have been available in other countries before they were offered for sale here. I think that it was the 600 that I ordered from Singapore after Palm reneged on atwo different promised shipments to a US distributor.

Actually, I thought you meant the 650.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    The leaked pic showed Palm OS. There have been very few faked Treo pics at all (the mytreo.net attempt at a WM Treo several years ago comes to mind). But it would be more difficult to forge a 320x320 pic on a 240x240 screen.
    The rumored Nitro? I saw that. But it still runs Garnet. That's not a new Palm OS.

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    That's not a new Palm OS.
    There isn't a new PalmOS, well not one that's usable now. Maybe in a years time we'll have an ALP or whatever Palm's working on device, until then it's Garnet or nothing as far as PalmOSes are concerned.
    The rumored Nitro? I saw that. But it still runs Garnet. That's not a new Palm OS.
    No, it's not. I don't think anyone knows with certainty that there will be a new Palm OS. It makes sense for Palm to continue to capitalize on a captive audience, but Palm doesn't always do things that are in their best interest. But I think it's safe to assume that we'll see more Treos based on tweaked FrankenGarnet.
  17. Wiz
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by troutman View Post
    Didn't anyone notice how much smaller the 750 is? The screen is only 2/3 the size of the 700p.

I can confirm the screensizes actually are identical. I have a 750v here (I am the author of the exensive review at http://www.pocketinfo.nl/artikel/6520 and ordered Treo 700 screenprotectors from Brando. They are a perfect fit.
    Their Treo 6xx/7xx USB sync&charge cables also work seamlessly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiz View Post
    I can confirm the screensizes actually are identical. I have a 750v here (I am the author of the exensive review at http://www.pocketinfo.nl/artikel/6520 and ordered Treo 700 screenprotectors from Brando. They are a perfect fit.
    Their Treo 6xx/7xx USB sync&charge cables also work seamlessly.
    Hey, your English is pretty good. How about a translation? Outstanding sounds so much better than standing out (which is what Babelfish does with Dutch).

Surur
    I really don't mind Garnett as an OS, but I just wish they'd fix all the little stability niggles.
  20. Wiz
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Needless to say, with a final judgment of outstanding, they definitely came back from their review impressed. Read a Babelfish translation of the article here, or if you want to take on the Dutch version read it directly here.

Via Jason Langridges Mobile Weblog

Surur
    I can tell you that although I frequently alternate between Palm and WM devices, after having written this review, I had good reasons to be impressed by the Treo 750v. I have always been amazed by the usability and inuitivity of the PalmOS but always stuck with WM because of the multitasking capabilities, the sheer horsepower and the fact that in less than 3 years, the number of WM applications far outran the number of Palm applications. Also, document synchronization never was straightforward and always had to go through some sort of 3rd party.

The reason why I was so "awed" by the Treo 750v is the fact that Palm and Microsoft clearly combined the best of both worlds (within technical limitations) which means that the usability and intuitivity that always characterized PalmOS based products now has rubbed off on at least one WM device. Of course many of the improvements will have been protected upfront by Palm through at least some form of intellectual property or patent, but it should and most likely will influence the way OEMs, manufacturers and hopefully Microsoft look at the usability of smartphones and pda's.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast