Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    I found him. He seems depressed but still hoping for the 900P. Unfortunately, the 900P is not simply farther away, but as the Treo fragments more and more, it becomes less and less likely and predictable.

800p getting skipped by Perry? Unless he thinks the 900p will have the new Palm OS?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I could never go back to a non-multitasking OS. I also need an os that supports direct push with my corporate exchange environment. Without these two features theres no reason to even consider a return to the POS.
    While I do not care about either of those two things, I can appreciate your position.

However, having settled on WM, Treo now becomes just one more choice among many. I did not choose my Treo 180 because it was a cool phone but because it was a logical migration from my Palm Vx/Omnisky. Once I decide that POS is dead and I have no choice but to move to WM, then there is no longer a reason for me to prefer Treo. Might still choose it, but far less likely than to choose a POS Treo.
    But surely that is right and proper also. They should live and die by how good their phone is, not by some outdated OS lock-in. So far they have done a very good job of bringing the unique features of the POS Treo to WM, and building on the inherent features of the OS, such as the today screen. They managed to slim WM5 down so much it all fits into <16 MB, and their device is fast and stable even on a slow 300 Mhz processor.

Sure, I bash Palm for not pushing the hardware envelope, but they have done an excellent job on the software. Maybe if WM5 isnt enough PalmOS for you, maybe you should make a list of changed you want to make and mail it to Palm. I'm sure they would be delighted to move more POS customers over to their latest devices.

BTW, I believe ALP is going to run most of the tim in 240x320 (which is starting to become a standard smartphone resolution) so waiting for a 320x320 screen in anext-gen device may not fly.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    But surely that is right and proper also. They should live and die by how good their phone is, not by some outdated OS lock-in. So far they have done a very good job of bringing the unique features of the POS Treo to WM, and building on the inherent features of the OS, such as the today screen. They managed to slim WM5 down so much it all fits into <16 MB, and their device is fast and stable even on a slow 300 Mhz processor.

Sure, I bash Palm for not pushing the hardware envelope, but they have done an excellent job on the software. Maybe if WM5 isnt enough PalmOS for you, maybe you should make a list of changed you want to make and mail it to Palm. I'm sure they would be delighted to move more POS customers over to their latest devices.

BTW, I believe ALP is going to run most of the tim in 240x320 (which is starting to become a standard smartphone resolution) so waiting for a 320x320 screen in anext-gen device may not fly.

Surur
    I'm not convinced that Palm is giving up on Palm OS just yet. More likely, I think HP/HTC will incorporate Palm's usability improvements into their next gen WM devices, and then Palm will either have to innovate with more usability improvements or push the next-gen Palm OS.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    But surely that is right and proper also. They should live and die by how good their phone is, .............
    Well, one might well argue that POS resulted in a better phone.

The WM strategy has a poisoned pill in it. It has not produced the sales that the carriers expected and it has a tiny share of the WM phone market. I ask again, if one is a WM phone user, why would one ever choose a Treo?
    "Palm will either have to innovate with more usability improvements or push the next-gen Palm OS. "

But thats the point, isnt it. On WM they have to innovate or die, on POS they can sit quitly milking the captive population. I know which one I prefer.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    I'm not convinced that Palm is giving up on Palm OS just yet............
    That seems to put you in the minority. One late and grudging POS phone in a series of highly promoted WM phones tells its own story. It is the same story as one gsm offering in sea of CMDA offerings tells. The carriers seem to have made their choice. At some point, whether or not Palm "gives up" becomes irrelevant.

Perry has abandoned TreoCentral; wake up and smell the coffee.
    Last edited by whmurray; 09/14/2006 at 01:55 PM.
    I ask again, if one is a WM phone user, why would one ever choose a Treo?
    There are better specified WM devices, true, but Palm seems to do the whole package better than most. Whether thats enough for you is up to you.

Surur
    That seems to put you in the minority. One late and grudging POS phone in a series of highly promoted WM phones tells its own story. It is the same story as one gsm offering in sea of CMDA offerings tells. The carriers seem to have made their choice. At some point, whether or not Palm "gives up" becomes irrelevant.

Perry has abndoned TreoCentral; wake up and smell the coffee.
    Perhaps we need to keep count better. Sounds to me like we'll have a Sprint, Verizon, and Cingular WM and Palm OS Treo at the end of the year. Ed Colligan himself said there will be a new phone that will give them pricing power. The interview on mytreo.net says they acknowledge their strong POS base state side. Three WM phones and three POS phones seems kind of neutral to me.

As for the sea of other companies' WM phones, I never said that POS will attract a crowd. It has had only Palm's support in the past few years and is still selling strong. It only needs Palm's support in updating the OS. And they will if the Palm Treos sell anywhere near as well as the WM Treos. Now if Palm says 6 months from now that the wx is outselling the p by a 2-to-1 ratio, then yes, it's time to say good night.

Having said all that, I will probably be using a wx early next year. But I will always keep an eye on the next POS and may switch back 12-18 months from now if and when it is available.

As surur mentioned above, why would Palm give up completely on a captive audience when the alternative is to fight for your life in the WM battlefield? If Palm puts itself entirely at the mercy of MS, then they might be gone in a few years.
    Last edited by skfny; 09/14/2006 at 01:53 PM.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    There are better specified WM devices, true, but Palm seems to do the whole package better than most. Whether thats enough for you is up to you.

Surur
    If I were ready to give up on POS and move to WM, I would do business with a vendor who is willing to sell me an unlocked GSM/UMTS. Is that Palm? Indeed, I could have done that weeks ago and avoided all this aggravation.
    That might be harder than you think, I tried. For example, HTC does have an unlocked TyTN but they don't sell it in the U.S. You have to get it from an importer and then if there is a problem, you have to ship it overseas for service. Same with the Nokia E61. Same with the Sony Ericsson P990. So, while I agree with you in principle, it's harder to do than some think. The unlocked 650 that I have Palm is the only unlocked GSM device I've ever (not counting the 600) been able to buy and get supported directly by the manufacturer in the U.S.

If I were ready to give up on POS and move to WM, I would do business with a vendor who is willing to sell me an unlocked GSM/UMTS. Is that Palm? Indeed, I could have done that weeks ago and avoided all this aggravation.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    People in this thread still think a new Palm OS is coming? Why?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    That might be harder than you think, I tried. For example, HTC does have an unlocked TyTN but they don't sell it in the U.S. You have to get it from an importer and then if there is a problem, you have to ship it overseas for service. Same with the Nokia E61. Same with the Sony Ericsson P990. So, while I agree with you in principle, it's harder to do than some think. The unlocked 650 that I have Palm is the only unlocked GSM device I've ever (not counting the 600) been able to buy and get supported directly by the manufacturer in the U.S.
    Refusal of the US to support unlocked versions of many advanced phones(I'm guessing because of carrier objections) make us resort to importers. Thankfully some Nokia models can be serviced through Nokia now(stores are open in the US), if officially authorized for US use(E61 is not one though). There's an importer here in Chicago on Devon too, if anyone is interested

Perhaps we need to keep count better. Sounds to me like we'll have a Sprint, Verizon, and Cingular WM and Palm OS Treo at the end of the year.Ed Colligan himself said there will be a new phone that will give them pricing power. The interview on mytreo.net says they acknowledge their strong POS base state side. Three WM phones and three POS phones seems kind of neutral to me.

Well, if we are going to count things that have not happened yet, there is not much sense in counting at all. Here at TreoCentral, we have learned not to count on anything from Palm until they are shipping all orders within 24 hours. Their record of leaks, rumors, speculations, ambiguous public statements, slipped schedules, and preferring one class of customer over another does not justify it. It is difficult to know whether your apparent confidence is the result of, or part of, this sleazy record

As for the sea of other companies' WM phones, I never said that POS will attract a crowd. It has had only Palm's support in the past few years and is still selling strong. It only needs Palm's support in updating the OS. And they will if the Palm Treos sell anywhere near as well as the WM Treos. Now if Palm says 6 months from now that the wx is outselling the p by a 2-to-1 ratio, then yes, it's time to say good night.
    One must judge Palm only on what they have done. That record is somewhat tarnished.

Having said all that, I will probably be using a wx early next year. But I will always keep an eye on the next POS and may switch back 12-18 months from now if and when it is available.
    There is no chance that I will ever use a Treo that is not POS, gsm, and unlocked. There is no chance that I will buy another one that is not UMTS. Silly Season has already gone on almost a year; there is still no upgrade available for the 650gsm/POS. I am not Perry; I do not "believe." I will still have some doubt left when I hold one in my hand. Fortunately for me, I am happy with my 650. Part of the reason that I do not expect Palm to announce anything to address my requirements is that, until Cingular commits to UMTS, there is no urgency. I can wait at least until then but that is only a matter of time. This time next year I may have reluctantly moved to WM but the chances that it will be Palm are somewhere between slim and none.

As surur mentioned above, why would Palm give up completely on a captive audience when the alternative is to fight for your life in the WM battlefield? If Palm puts itself entirely at the mercy of MS, then they might be gone in a few years.
    You said it. Go figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    I have already imported unlocked Treos from Singapore because Palm would not sell them to me in the US. Why not some other brand?
    Here's a WM users review of the Treo 750v

PocketInfo.nl has published a lenghty and detailed review (in Dutch) on the new Treo 750v, and have come away impressed. Many interesting details about the device is revealed, such as that it has USB 2, and that despite appearances its surprisingly small and good looking.

I have reproduced the conclusion of the article in English here.

Pros:

Compact, easy to put away and carry
    Good quality and robust construction
    Small but bright and clear screen
    Tight and elegant look & feel
    Built in antenna
    Good long stylus from one piece, not collapsible
    Good sound quality
    The core functionality of WM5 has been adapted and smartly improved
    Service has improved very intelligently, with the eye towards one-handed usage
    UMTS, EDGE, Bluetooth and GPRS present
    HSDPA prepared
    Voice dialing, also over Bluetooth headset
    Threaded SMS and integration MMS

Cons:

Charging and synchronization not incorporated in one cable
    No mini-USB
    300mHz processor, sometimes too slow for Skype
    1200mAh battery, other Treo's have 1800mAh
    Screen on the small side for navigation
    Keyboard is just too too small for two hands
    Screen brightness control not separated between mains and battery
    Threaded SMS mean no SMS synchronization with Outlook
    No cradle, no case
    No WIFI
    For HSDPA first still a ROM upgrade is necessary
    1.3 mpx snapshot camera
    MSN are not provided standard and must be bought separately

Score:

Use: Outstanding
    Design: Outstanding
    Functionality: Outstanding
    Connectivity: very good (no WIFI, however, HSDPA)
    Most suited for: Agenda, phone, e-mail, SMS, 3G modem
    Total judgment: Outstanding

Needless to say, with a final judgment of outstanding, they definitely came back from their review impressed. Read a Babelfish translation of the article here, or if you want to take on the Dutch version read it directly here.

Via Jason Langridges Mobile Weblog

Surur
    I have already imported unlocked Treos from Singapore because Palm would not sell them to me in the US. Why not some other brand?

I thought they were available for the US?

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Refusal of the US to support unlocked versions of many advanced phones(I'm guessing because of carrier objections) make us resort to importers. Thankfully some Nokia models can be serviced through Nokia now(stores are open in the US), if officially authorized for US use(E61 is not one though). There's an importer here in Chicago on Devon too, if anyone is interested
    I think I might have bought a Nokia phone from there last year.
    The people at the Nokia store in L.A. told me that if I buy an E61 from CompUSA online there is Nokia factory warranty. A bit safer than importers, if true.
    When they first came out it was a few months before the 600 was available unlocked in the U.S., the 650 came out unlocked about the same time as the locked ones.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I thought they were available for the US?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast