Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach View Post
    Also UMTS allows voice and data, whether the 750 will is up in the air I think still, but that would make even more of a reason, since EVDO Rev 0 doesn't support this.
    It does. A review confirms you can get push e-mail while on a phone call.

Surur
    It is available in some areas. I tried an HTC TyTN a month ago with tri-mode UMTS and was able to get UMTS in quite a few locations near Portland Oregon. Coverage was not as good as Verizon but I'm not surprised. I've been a looong time customer of T-Mobile just finally turned off my phone line there. It's clear it's going to be a long long long (did I mention long?) time before they have any 3G data (Wifi doesn't count, I don't live in Starbucks).

Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Perhaps. However, until Cingular or T-Mobile deploy UMTS in the US, I am not ready to give up POS or a high resolution screen for it.

In any case, that is not a decision that I will have to confront in 2006.

Perry, where are you?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I'm 34 years old. Why do you ask?
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    I think he was implying that it will take a long time to get to the US and can you wait at your age.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    They may have also changed to the 750 number for accessory reasons. Being the unit is a different size, the 700 accessories may not fit...
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Oh OK. Got it. Hey Phone Diva, are you also Lady Treo?

To keep on topic, I believe the 750 is appropriate simply due to the different form factor.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    See spec here:
    http://euro.palm.com/uk/en/products/treo750v/specs.html

There is no much that's better than the 700wx is it?

Compare to the 700wx, the different is smaller memory slot, smaller battery, probably shorter talk time, comparible data speed.

What's new are A2DP, video ringtone. Does 700wx have mp3 ringtone? I am not sure. So why is it a 750v, instead of a 700v? I think Palm is pulling a fast one here.

edit: and why does get a separated subforum.
    There are some big differences between this and the 700 line. MiniSD, tri-band UMTS, support for bluetooth stereo headsets, no antenna, international adapters.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl View Post
    I'm 34 years old. Why do you ask?
    You have time. I am 72; every month counts.
    To keep on topic, I believe the 750 is appropriate simply due to the different form factor.

Busted!

I'd like to see this Treo in the unlocked version. How long did it take them to get out the unlocked 650, after it went to the carriers?

Her new Avatar aint as Hot.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    How long did it take them to get out the unlocked 650, after it went to the carriers?
    In the UK the unlocked version was out before the Orange branded one Guess that says alot about Orange's commitment to the T650
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    It is available in some areas..........
    Yes, and unless you live in one you will not know. If you go to their web site, they will tell you only one zip code at a time. That is next to useless.

At the price, one has to use it, as Verizon and Sprint promote EVDO, as a replacement for most other net access. To do that, one has to be sure that, like Verizon and Sprint, it covers most major markets.
    True, but other GSM carriers didn't get exclusives. I would guess that there won't be an unlocked until after the Vodaphone period ends (whatever that is). I would have to guess that you won't see an unlocked until at least the beginning of 2007. I really hope a Cingular one comes out by November. If it doesn't, we probably won't see anything in the U.S. until Q1 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    In the UK the unlocked version was out before the Orange branded one Guess that says alot about Orange's commitment to the T650
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    True, but other GSM carriers didn't get exclusives. I would guess that there won't be an unlocked until after the Vodaphone period ends (whatever that is). I would have to guess that you won't see an unlocked until at least the beginning of 2007. I really hope a Cingular one comes out by November. If it doesn't, we probably won't see anything in the U.S. until Q1 2007.
    Perry laughed at me when I suggested 2007. Perry, where are you?

Ok so does cutting off the antenna count as a different form factor?? It's still gonna be a big bluge in my pocket
    Here are the current Cingular UMTS coverage maps. People keep talking about Cingular 3G as if it doesn't exist yet, but as you can see, they've got quite a bit of coverage now.

http://www.cingular.com/business/3G_cov_maps_pop
    [HTML]explain to me why it's a 750v, not a 700v?[/HTML]

In defense of the naming convention is the fact that the circuitry of the PDA, new memory factor, "slimmer" antennaless design, and remember the GSM/GPRS/EDGE/UMTS radio must be of significantly different design in order to pass the new euro radiation laws. Not to mention do without aid of an external antenna.

From a performance standpoint, this is another Palm egg laying exercise. But from a physical design standpoint, it is significantly different. Basically the frontal shape, color schemes, keyboard, screen, athena and OS remain basically unchanged. I'll give em' "750" for changing that much.

OTOH ...

I probably won't give em' any money for one though. After waiting all of last year for the big announcement. And finally yawning profusely for 3 of the 4 (the 680 is a sleeper) announcements when this year finally has arrived, I am coming to the conclusion that Palm is never going to lead again in the smartfone arena. HTC, Moto, and Nokia are all speeding by from design and feature standpoints. If I'm going to be saddled with WinMollasses in the end, I'm sure not signing up for inferior hardware to run it on.

It is becoming increasingly clear to me that a Hawkinsless Palm Inc has little if any innovation to offer. The little one handed and integrated refinements are (Palm experience) appreciated, but those too are being closely duplicated by the others. She's little more than a marketing company now it seems.

<End: Rant>
    Patrick Horne
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDs10e View Post
    Here are the current Cingular UMTS coverage maps. People keep talking about Cingular 3G as if it doesn't exist yet, but as you can see, they've got quite a bit of coverage now.

http://www.cingular.com/business/3G_cov_maps_pop
    Thank you for the url. I was unable to find those maps.

16 out of 50 states, half of those sparsely populated, is not "coverage."
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I think I'm just happy the antennae's finally gone.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    It does. A review confirms you can get push e-mail while on a phone call.

Surur
    Correct
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast