Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by baby_arm View Post
    can someone post the details of how to configure/set up the connection on the mac? I'm a ex-pc guy and new to mac. i already have pda net on my treo 700p from my pc....i just want to tether it via BT on my mac, but I'm lost.

...only had mac for 3 days so forgive me.
    I could also use this... I've installed PDAnet (unregistered) on my treo, and set up my bluetooth connection. xxxxxxxxxx@vz3g.com for username, and vzw for password. #777 for number to dial. The treo pairs with my macbook pro for about 4 seconds (says "connecting..." in the menu bar), then it disconnects, and I get an error on the mac that says "modem error occured, please check settings and try again". Oh, and I'm using the verizon script.
    I second that... Can someone provide instruction for how to do the bluetooth pairing on the mac? I'm new to this thing.

Thanks!
    Folks, you don't need PDAnet and jump through all of these hoops. You also don't want to use bluetooth for tethering, as it will throttle your speeds.

Go to Mobile-Stream and download USBModem for Windows Mobile. Run and activate the application, tether to your Mac via USB, install the proper modem driver (included in the download, either GSM or CDMA), go to Network Preferences and you will see a new connection will automatically get added.

You can follow the Mobile-Stream provided documentation the rest of the way to get your connection going. This is the fastest, easiest way to get your 700w/wx to tether to a Mac. It works with USB and bluetooth, but you'll want to use USB for maximum speed.
    Actually with the a2dp hack, but before the 1.15 update, i could use Bluetooth DUN with my iMac without any other software.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Exactly. This works fine....

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyS View Post
    Folks, you don't need PDAnet and jump through all of these hoops. You also don't want to use bluetooth for tethering, as it will throttle your speeds.

Go to Mobile-Stream and download USBModem for Windows Mobile. Run and activate the application, tether to your Mac via USB, install the proper modem driver (included in the download, either GSM or CDMA), go to Network Preferences and you will see a new connection will automatically get added.

You can follow the Mobile-Stream provided documentation the rest of the way to get your connection going. This is the fastest, easiest way to get your 700w/wx to tether to a Mac. It works with USB and bluetooth, but you'll want to use USB for maximum speed.
  6. K21
    I've had no luck getting USB modem to work on a mac. I've tried it on several Intel Mac laptops with no luck (USBmodem works fine under windows on the same and other machines) I use this workaround with PDAnet:

start parallels 3 running XP. Make sure you are using 'shared networking', security medium
    connect your treo or other phone via USB
    activesync will start automatically (make sure it is loaded)
    connect to the internet with pdanet
    in a command box type ipconfig/all
    You should get an parallels IP address of 10.211.55.3 , or something like that which is the IP address of your Windows XP virtual machine under parallels.

I haven't tried this under Vista, but it should be similar

On your Mac - apple- system preferences- network
    select Location:Automatic
    select SHOW:PARALLELS NAT
    select TCP/IP
    Configure IPv4
    IP address: 10.211.55.6 ( or another address in the same subnet as your WinXP parallels IP address)
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Router: 10.211.55.3 *the WinXP parallels IP address
    DNS Servers: 4.2.2.2 *The public DNS server(s) of your choice

Parallels WinXP machine defaults to the same address so you shouldn't need to change the address on your MAC unless you are running multiple VM's. The Mac is very smart, it will route your IP traffic through parallels if another connection is not available.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    ^^I know for sure it works on the PowerPC mac. Not sure about intel. Very easy to set up though. I was up and running after a soft reset...

Sounds like too much work for PDAnet.
    I'm not sure about the bluetooth tethering on the Mac, but USB works perfectly. Have you tried that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooose View Post
    Is this on a Mac or on a PC? The OP was interested in Macs and DUN. FWIW, I used Windows XP on my Macbook Pro to activate PDAnet and then switched to Tiger and paired my 700wx with my MBP (from the MBP). I entered the number (#777). You can put anything in the user name and password part. Set the modemscript to Sprint Vision Modem. For Verizon people, there is a Verizon modemscript available (PC5220?). I then had no problem dialing from the Mac using BT with PDAnet.
    I've setup as described with my Treo 700wx, PDA Net and paired successfully with my MacBook Air choosing the service to share the device's internet connection. I also use Verizon Wireless and filled in the following:

Number: #777
    Account Name: XXXXXXXXXX@vzw3g.com
    Password: vzw

When I click Connect it shows Connecting... for a few secs (Treo lights up and sees a BT connection) and then Disconnecting and eventually an error msg "A modem error occurred. Please verify your settings and try again."

Anyone have any thoughts?
    Well... I read one the posts saying that Verizon users need to call customer support and "activate" DUN. It's an extra $15/month. I have to figure out how to tether it to the Mac as the drivers that VZW gives you is for Windows only (www.vzam.net)... although I do see some references to Mac OSX on that site, but the customer service rep who activated my DUN said it's Windows only and they don't support Mac Drivers for the Treo 700wx.

Any idea where to find the drivers? Any idea if PDA Net should work without this activation (without paying $15/month)?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12