Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Can you do it with the 750v? I did not see a confirmation from Palm's interview. All they did was make excuses as to why it wasn't built-in. I know cards work on the other 2.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    If Wi-Fi is so important then why don't people just buy a Wi-Fi card for their 700w/wx/750v
    For the 750v:
    1) The card would stick out and I doubt that the door would shut. A real mess.
    2) To the best of my knowledge there are no miniSD Wifi cards that are also memory cards. You want to spend your days swapping cards in and out and shuffling files you've downloaded or want to upload between device memory to card memory?
    More of this wifi nonsense.

Usually, for me (and likely many others), if I'm near a hotspot, I have my laptop if i want to take advantage of it. For everywhere else, such as a taxi, the train, at the store or mall, or just generally out, having a cellular data radio is all I need. The Treo should serve my needs nicely.
    Wifi is NOT nonsense and I'm really tired of people telling those who want the choice of wifi what they should do, just because they do it. I don't want to carry my laptop everywhere! Now please stop trying to think for those of us who aren't like you!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    there are some of us Treo owners that live in areas where paved roads and cellular coverage are miles from our home. Having wi-fi built into a device for me adds a good deal of convenience. I currently have a tytn and wx. For me there are +&- for both.
    I don't care about Wifi, but I sympathize with those who do. For me, the 750 is pretty much the device I was hoping for and that I want, but I think it speaks volumes about Palm that here is a feature that many people want, and that most of the newly released, top-end premium smartphones that the Treo competes with have, but yet the Treo doesn't have it, and Palm can't give a REALLY good reason why.

But, on the other hand, maybe this is a situation where you can never please everybody, because there isn't a device that I can point to and say that, all things considered, it is better than the Treo. Sure, the Tytn has everything in terms of specs, but I personally hate the sliding keyboard that pretty much rules out one handed use. The HP 69xx has Wifi, but it isn't 3G. The SE P990 again, has it all specs-wise, but its an ergonomic nightmare. The Loox 810 may NEVER come to market, and if it does, it looks unattractive and only has a tri-band GSM radio. There is NO device that is perfect for all users, but yet it seems with every Treo release, that is what people are expecting. Granted, there is no denying that Palm is a bit of a technology laggard, but at the same time, I think expectations that folks around here have for them are a little high.
    Considering other companies have not had a problem including wifi on their phones, that's not too much to ask from Palm.

I think there was a thread sometime back w/ a poll asking 'what do you want on your next treo?' Does anyone remember where in the poll wifi landed?
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    More of this wifi nonsense.

Usually, for me (and likely many others), if I'm near a hotspot, I have my laptop if i want to take advantage of it. For everywhere else, such as a taxi, the train, at the store or mall, or just generally out, having a cellular data radio is all I need. The Treo should serve my needs nicely.
    This thread is about the 750v. The 'v' is for for 'Vodafone'. Vodafone charges astronomical sums for data delivered over their network, hence the interest from some of us in Wifi as a means of reducing data costs. In general I'd agree with your point that data delivered by the cellular radio is sufficient - if this data doesn't cost you an arm and a leg, but on Vodafone that isn't the case. 'Having a cellular data radio' may be all you need but I'm guessing your not paying 2.35 per MB.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Wifi is NOT nonsense and I'm really tired of people telling those who want the choice of wifi what they should do, just because they do it. I don't want to carry my laptop everywhere! Now please stop trying to think for those of us who aren't like you!
    ... and don't have your data plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDs10e View Post
    I don't care about Wifi, but I sympathize with those who do. For me, the 750 is pretty much the device I was hoping for and that I want, but I think it speaks volumes about Palm that here is a feature that many people want, and that most of the newly released, top-end premium smartphones that the Treo competes with have, but yet the Treo doesn't have it, and Palm can't give a REALLY good reason why.
    Couldn't agree more. 'It uses too much power' - paraphrasing Mase in Michael Drucker's interview:

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/906-1.htm

As far as I'm aware a Wifi radio uses no power when turned off. Is it really beyond them to let the users manage this for themselves? Sure, customising the battery warnings might be a good idea - 'Your battery is at 40% and if you don't turn Wifi off it'll be dead by teatime' - as would an auto-off feature, but c'mon Palm give your customers a little credit. We're not completely stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDs10e View Post
    But, on the other hand, maybe this is a situation where you can never please everybody, because there isn't a device that I can point to and say that, all things considered, it is better than the Treo. Sure, the Tytn has everything in terms of specs, but I personally hate the sliding keyboard that pretty much rules out one handed use. The HP 69xx has Wifi, but it isn't 3G. The SE P990 again, has it all specs-wise, but its an ergonomic nightmare. The Loox 810 may NEVER come to market, and if it does, it looks unattractive and only has a tri-band GSM radio.
    Sadly, I agree with all of this too. What are we to do? I'm seriously considering either going with a keyboardless device (HTC P3600 looks good) or just sticking with the 650 until someone gets it right or until I can get an unlocked 750 and use it on a UK network with decent data plans.
    WiFi is important for me for two reasons. I travel quite frequently and basically use WiFi for Skype and Email access. While GPRS can be used roaming (with astronomical charges) for email, Skype wont work over it and 3G/roaming is not available for me, for now.

-a
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbas View Post
    WiFi is important for me for two reasons. I travel quite frequently and basically use WiFi for Skype and Email access. While GPRS can be used roaming (with astronomical charges) for email, Skype wont work over it and 3G/roaming is not available for me, for now.

-a
    Exactly! Same here...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    I didn't say that wifi is nonsense, I'm saying that we're back on this topic regarding wifi. These conversations never get anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    This thread is about the 750v. The 'v' is for for 'Vodafone'. Vodafone charges astronomical sums for data delivered over their network, hence the interest from some of us in Wifi as a means of reducing data costs. In general I'd agree with your point that data delivered by the cellular radio is sufficient - if this data doesn't cost you an arm and a leg, but on Vodafone that isn't the case. 'Having a cellular data radio' may be all you need but I'm guessing your not paying 2.35 per MB.
    I really know nothing about cellular service abroad, so my apologies. However, I have been gearing most of my replies toward the USA users, which is also where I reside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbas View Post

-a
    That makes sense for me as well. However, even though it is very inconvenient, as least you do have the option of using a miniSD wifi card when needed.

Before everyone starts to think I'm anti-wifi: I think wifi is a great technology. I would love to have it on all of my PDAphones. However, my wifi useage is usually fairly low. I think that a PDAphone without an unlimited data subscription cripples the device FAR more than a PDAphone without wifi. Of course, there is the cost consideration, even here in the US where it is cheaper than overseas. But, as cellular technology progresses, will wifi still be as popular as it is today? Will companies/carriers still design/build devices that include wifi?
    First they need to expand high speed, then they need to get reasonable data rates for everyone worldwide, before they can dump wifi. Wifi is now a current standard for high end smartphones.

Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    There is a nice Vodafone Flash-based sales presentation here:
    http://palm.breezecentral.com/treo75...lestrainingie/

Am I the only person here who is actually in the UK and thinking of ordering one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post

Am I the only person here who is actually in the UK and thinking of ordering one?

sweet link, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post

very nice information, thank you
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast