Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 141
  1. #41  
    Palm did not forget. They served their biggest current customers (CDMA, Verizon and Sprint) first, then went after the biggest new market opportunity for them (Europe - Vodaphone), and hopefully will address their next biggest customer, Cingular, next.

    I just don't see the reason for anger. I've been wanting a new US GSM model also, but it could happen with the next two months. Still a long time but not forever. Their customers are the carriers and all their actions make sense from that standpoint. Nothing that any other vendor isn't doing. I know let's get the cool Nokia E61 or HTC TyTN. Guess what, you can't get them either unless you go through an importer (I know, I've done it). I can understand frustration, but Palm's not doing anything that doesn't make sense from a business perspective which is what they are.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Yet they fell all over themselves to please European GSM customers.
    If they can take that big of a business gamble with almost unknown customers, that's not really a good excuse for them to use. There's no real guarantee that Europeans won't see this Treo as just another smartphone in their huge line-up they have access to already. Yet in this country where we NEED more GSM smartphones because we usually only get 2 types(3 if you count BB) for each carrier, Palm just "forgot" about us.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  2. #42  
    New models for everyone but US GSM is enough to make me unhappy with Palm AGAIN. Could happen in 2 months? Another thing that could happen in 2 months, GSM users who want to spend the money go to the importers, including Nokia(they have opened US shops) and get what they need. Palm thinks we're supposed to keep waiting on them or something? GSM isn't like CDMA, unlocked phones are a free market. We don't need to wait on a few manufacturers to get their butts moving! If one isn't ready with products, NEXT!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3. #43  
    Don't be so sad guys. At least you have the 700p and 700w/wx to tide you over. I am still stuck with the 650 GSM since that is still the latest release to hit Australian shores. We do have a Vodafone network here but no word on if we are getting the 750v any time soon.
    I still love my 650....it just lacks in memory.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Response to Surur: meaning they can appear locked on US carriers. I'll pass for now.
    I'll just buy the locked Cingular version and get them to unlock it for me once I get it. I have had no problem, based on my international travel, getting Cingular to unlock my phones so I can use other SIM cards.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers View Post
    I'll just buy the locked Cingular version and get them to unlock it for me once I get it. I have had no problem, based on my international travel, getting Cingular to unlock my phones so I can use other SIM cards.
    I agree with you
  6. #46  
    I dont remember anymore, maybe someone can tell me, how long did it take somebody to figure out how to unlock a cingular locked treo 650? It can be done right?

    Vodafone is notorious for locking their phones and making it difficult to unlock.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/906-1.htm

    Its only EU exclusivity. It should be in USA soon.

    Surur
    do you really belive that or do you know that for a fact? cingular will be carrying this device and last time i checked, it took cingular 7 months to approve the v3i. the v3i is not as complicated as the 750v, so technically the 750v should take about more time than two months to be approved
    Naveen

    Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

    Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Yet they fell all over themselves to please European GSM customers.
    If they can take that big of a business gamble with almost unknown customers, that's not really a good excuse for them to use. There's no real guarantee that Europeans won't see this Treo as just another smartphone in their huge line-up they have access to already. Yet in this country where we NEED more GSM smartphones because we usually only get 2 types(3 if you count BB) for each carrier, Palm just "forgot" about us.
    the reason palm is trying to please the european customers first is because the share of ppc phone users is almost 40% versus 10% of americans carrying smartphones. but what is sad that though the 750v looks very nice i think palm kind of short changed us with the specs of the device
    Naveen

    Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

    Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God View Post
    the reason palm is trying to please the european customers first is because the share of ppc phone users is almost 40% versus 10% of americans carrying smartphones. but what is sad that though the 750v looks very nice i think palm kind of short changed us with the specs of the device
    Why do you say that? With the exception of WiFi, which btw becomes less of factor when you have 3G, what specs are "shortchanged"? The Samsung 300 processor is a great balence between speed and power, the device has BT 1.2 (2.0 not supported by WM5) and A2DP, MiniSD is pretty much ubiquitous, etc.

    I have WiFi B/G on my K-JAM with an EDGE connection. I can count on one hand the number of times I have really HAD to use it outside of my home network. If I should not have it in my next device (ala Treo), UMTS/HSDPA on my PDAConnect plan will suffice.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God View Post
    do you really belive that or do you know that for a fact?
    Its from the TC review. Ask them....

    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    Why do you say that? With the exception of WiFi, which btw becomes less of factor when you have 3G, what specs are "shortchanged"? The Samsung 300 processor is a great balence between speed and power, the device has BT 1.2 (2.0 not supported by WM5) and A2DP, MiniSD is pretty much ubiquitous, etc..
    In Europe the lack of wifi will be a big deal. Download one podcast - give Vodafone $100!

    Surur
  11. #51  
    if it is the carriers that determine what will be disabled (wifi), why do some phones that the carriers make available to their customers have it, and some don't.
    Just call me Berd.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God View Post
    do you really belive that or do you know that for a fact? cingular will be carrying this device and last time i checked, it took cingular 7 months to approve the v3i. the v3i is not as complicated as the 750v, so technically the 750v should take about more time than two months to be approved

    7 months is ridiculous!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God View Post
    do you really belive that or do you know that for a fact? cingular will be carrying this device and last time i checked, it took cingular 7 months to approve the v3i. the v3i is not as complicated as the 750v, so technically the 750v should take about more time than two months to be approved
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Its from the TC review. Ask them....
    Our latest information is from the video, where they basically say that US availability is going to be a ways down the road (my personal guess is Q1 2007) - but at least there's no hardware roadblocks.

    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    if it is the carriers that determine what will be disabled (wifi), why do some phones that the carriers make available to their customers have it, and some don't.
    I am willing to bet that not including WiFi was a palm decision.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers View Post
    I'll just buy the locked Cingular version and get them to unlock it for me once I get it. I have had no problem, based on my international travel, getting Cingular to unlock my phones so I can use other SIM cards.

    You're lucky. They refuse to lift a finger here, but at least they won't complain if you get it professionally unlocked somewhere else.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    I am willing to bet that not including WiFi was a palm decision.

    I think he even said that in the interview. I'll look at it again, but I think that's what I heard. They used the excuse of how WM utilizes wifi, claiming that because it's always searching for a spot, the battery will be drained.

    It only searches when it's turned on and people will only have it on when they need it.. Excuses, excuses.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  16. #56  
    Diva, while you are right in a respect that wifi is only on when it is used, apparently the reasoning is that when it is on and hopping (one aspect of wifi on WM that I personally cannot stand) that it kills the battery. Lest an update comes that stops WM's beautiful ability to hop to and from signal to signal, I dont think that Palm will skillfully consider wifi for a WM Treo, lest it is as plump as a W/WX.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

    Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  17. #57  
    And in Europe where data is really high, the 750v could fail. They didn't even mention if a card could be used to get wifi.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  18. TazUk's Avatar
    Posts
    689 Posts
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    #58  
    The high data costs in Europe wont affect the 750v any differently to the other 3G smartphones out there
  19. #59  
    Arrrrgh!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    Our latest information is from the video, where they basically say that US availability is going to be a ways down the road (my personal guess is Q1 2007) - but at least there's no hardware roadblocks.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    The high data costs in Europe wont affect the 750v any differently to the other 3G smartphones out there
    Many of those include wifi though. So what will make lots of Europeans flock to the 750v? I looked on the UK VF site, WAY more phones than what we EVER see with the US carriers! With that kind of choice, the 750v has to make a bang to get people's attention.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions