Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Folks, I was reading a thread here about skype, and attempted to download it to my 700W, but it wouldn't install on either the storage card or the device. What version works, if any, where can it be found, and how well does this work? I read that it had to have a processor of 400 mhz or greater, and ours is 312 mhz. Thanks so much in advance for your help!
    Skype works great on my 700wx using version 2.00.51 (NOT THE BETA VERSION). I downloaded it direct from my 700 to the storage card via this link: http://www.skype.com/download/skype/.../download.html Make sure you pick the second one "Download Skype for 312 MHz CPUs" and pick "get it directly to mobile" and what I did was save the cab file to my storage card and ran it from there using file explorer. Easy install and a awesome mobile application for evdo users!
    -Proud Treo 750V (UMTS), 700WX (EVDO) and PPC-6700 (EVDO) owner on the go...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/oly/sets/72157594244138528/" target="_blank">OLY's GADGET PHOTO BLOG</a
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Thanks so much, Olywogle, I will download it from there and give it a whirl!
    I didn't even realize that there was a Skype 2.0 for slower CPUs, and had been using the 2.1beta, which supposedly requires a 400MHz processor or greater. It appeared to be working fine for me, but I'm going to remove it an install version 2.0 for slower CPUs just to be safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by denik View Post
    I didn't even realize that there was a Skype 2.0 for slower CPUs, and had been using the 2.1beta, which supposedly requires a 400MHz processor or greater. It appeared to be working fine for me, but I'm going to remove it an install version 2.0 for slower CPUs just to be safe.
    please report if you find any differences...I'm have 2.1 beta installed too and I'm curious if it's better/worse than 2.0 for slow cpus.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Well, I gave Skype 2.0 for slow CPUs a quick try, and have decided to stick with Skype 2.1beta. The UI on Skype 2.1 beta is much better optimized for Windows Mobile 5.0. Sound quality and performance appears to be the same on both versions.

I haven't used either enough to know how stable they are. So far, from my very limited use, neither have crashed or locked up my Treo wx.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Can you get sound from skype out of the earpiece, instead of the speakerphone?
    Quote Originally Posted by porcaccio View Post
    Can you get sound from skype out of the earpiece, instead of the speakerphone?
    The earpiece works great on my treo 700wx using skype beta and the included stereo headset.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I meant, if I don't use the headset, can I tell skype to direct the sound to the earpiece? It seems to direct it to the speakerphone, and I can't find a preference setting to redirect it to the unit's earpiece.
    Does the sound come through to a BT headset? can you do both skype to skype calls as well as skype out?
    I believe when using Skype, you can either have it come out through the speaker, or use a wired headset. With a wired headset, the Treo is essentially directing all sounds from the speaker to the headset.
    Quote Originally Posted by porcaccio View Post
    I meant, if I don't use the headset, can I tell skype to direct the sound to the earpiece? It seems to direct it to the speakerphone, and I can't find a preference setting to redirect it to the unit's earpiece.
    Nope. Only wired earpiece's, not the built-in one.
    I've decided to switch to Skype 2.0 (for slow CPU) from Skype 2.1beta. I'm using WiFi now, and noticed that Skype 2.1 has more jitters when on a call. I guess the WiFi and Skype 2.1 are too demanding on the Treo 700's CPU.
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    Nope. Only wired earpiece's, not the built-in one.
    i thought now it works with BT headsets? no?
    You can boost your cpu using PocketHackMaster or XCPUScalar if you want to get rid of the jitters. The 700w and wx should work fine at 512Mhz. It makes a significant difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by athreya View Post
    i thought now it works with BT headsets? no?
    I haven't tried using a bt headset with skype yet, but I doubt it will work since Skype uses the pda audio and Treo's don't support pda audio over bt.

If you really need that feature you can get a Jabra A210 dongle which does support pda audio and voice dialing over bt. I have one and it works great.
    Can Skype be used to make international calls? Thanks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinomon View Post
    Can Skype be used to make international calls? Thanks!!
    Yes but be careful Skyperates are often higher than your carrier if you are calling a mobile phone overseas. they have rip off surcharges.

It costs more on skype to call a mobile phone in Europe than sprintpcs charges if you have their international plan.
    I have been calling Italy and Scotland for only $.07 per min from my cell phone using the SprintPCS International plan which in only $4 per month.
    I've been trying to use Skype with my treo 700wx and I can't seem to get a good connection. It is either I can hear them well and the other person cannot hear me. Then I get the opposite situation and same thing.

I've tried to overclock the cpu to 512 MHz, with limited luck. I'm not so sure that program works very well. It is the Xpscaler or something like that.

I couldn't find the old lo-cpu version on their website anymore. The only choice is what they offer now, which I think is 2.5.

I've even bought the palm wifi card, but that makes it even worse! The EVDO network seemed to be more reliable.

Any solutions???? I'd love to use this skype as I would like to call family in London and Hong Kong.

Thanks for your help.

GregC