Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After following the Vodafone links posted around here in the last few days, it struck me again that there are no unlimited data plans. Reading around the web, it seems this is the case for Europe in general. So, what do heavy data users do?

If I'm limited to 100MB/month, do I need 3G so I can burn through that in one hour? I realize lots of people use Treos without data plans, but I would imagine that among heavy data users, WiFi is a bigger deal for European users than it is for US users who DO have unlimited data plans. So, for the heavy data user confronted with no WiFi and no unlimited data plans, what's the point of the 750?
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Who needs WiFi? It uses too much power. That's why nobody wants it in a mobile device.
    Patrick Horne
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post
    Who needs WiFi? It uses too much power. That's why nobody wants it in a mobile device.
    Did you read the post above?
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    So, what do heavy data users do?
    Pay

Unlimited data plans are appearing now but they're designed for people using laptops with 3G/GPRS data cards rather than smartphone users
    This is perfectly true, and a reason why this device will not sell well, even to business.

T-Mobile in UK is finally offering a very cheap unlimited data package. On my last bill I transferred 243 MB, and only payed 7.50.

If Vodafone offered an unlimited package at even double the price I would be using them, as their coverage is a whole lot better than T-Mobile, but on Vodafone I cant use my device the way ant to. Its their loss.

Surur
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers View Post
    Did you read the post above?
    Apparently he did not. I personally picked up a Treo 300 and switched to Sprint in 2002 ONLY for the the newly announced reasonably-priced unlimited data plan. It was the first time this was available in the US (with the exception of the unlimited Sidekick data plan in summer 2002). I can't imagine NOT having the option in 2006. It seems to me a lot of EUROPEAN power users who DO NOT HAVE UNLIMITED DATA depend on WiFi and are not even going to conisder the 750.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    This is perfectly true, and a reason why this device will not sell well, even to business.

T-Mobile in UK is finally offering a very cheap unlimited data package. On my last bill I transferred 243 MB, and only payed 7.50.

If Vodafone offered an unlimited package at even double the price I would be using them, as their coverage is a whole lot better than T-Mobile, but on Vodafone I cant use my device the way ant to. Its their loss.

Surur
    Ok, good to see the rates are becoming more reasonable. I thought I used a LOT more data than 250/month, but my 700p shows only 1600MB data transfer (since about the start of June).
    Thats still half a gig per month, which 6 months ago would have bee inthinkable in UK. T-Mobile has a 2 Gig fair use limit, which I dont see crossing very soon. I dont stream radio or TV, I only use logmein.com a lot, but it obviously adds up.

On Vodafone my 243 MB would have cost me 1200 !!

Surur
    Data Rate is Europe is not cheap, because the carriers paid too much for the bandwidth.

In general, business users tend to be less price sensitive to the monthly charges since they are mostly paid for by their employers. Plus, I really don't see too many business users streaming audio and video content any time soon.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Vodafone do an unlimited data plan for 45 + VAT per month but like T-Mobile this is subject to their fair use policy. They also do a 250MB per month package for 25.00 + VAT.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    Data Rate is Europe is not cheap, because the carriers paid too much for the bandwidth.

In general, business users tend to be less price sensitive to the monthly charges since they are mostly paid for by their employers. Plus, I really don't see too many business users streaming audio and video content any time soon.
    I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't videoconferencing a big deal in Europe? I thought that's why HTC's new phones (Hermes) have dual (or at least front-side) cameras.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    Vodafone do an unlimited data plan for 45 + VAT per month but like T-Mobile this is subject to their fair use policy. They also do a 250MB per month package for 25.00 + VAT.
    That's good to know. Was it listed on their Treo teaser site?
    Yes, where is this plan, as a month ago, when I was planning on buying a Vodafone 1605 (HTC TyTN) customer service had never heard of it.

Surur
    I see this is only with their 3G PC Cards, or built into laptops. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $this$ $plan$ $is$ $not$ $available$ $on$ $handsets$.

Even on laptops its rediculous to pay $100 per month for only 1GB, so only being able to download 33MB per day.

Surur
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't videoconferencing a big deal in Europe?
    I wouldn't have thought demand for it was any greater here than elsewhere in the world

I've never heard of someone requesting it on their mobile/smartphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I see this is only with their 3G PC Cards, or built into laptops. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $this$ $plan$ $is$ $not$ $available$ $on$ $handsets$.
    As far as I can tell that's exactly right. Here's the page:

http://www.vodafonebusinessshop.co.u...id=4&sbmid=4.1

Certainly no mention of it being available for handsets and if you price a handset on the Vodafone site these are the data prices you're offered:

Cost of pack - usual value of services - data* - cost per MB*

3 - 6 - 2.55 MB - 1.18
    6 - 12 - 5.11 MB - 1.18
    14 - 30 - 12.77 MB - 1.10
    25 - 60 - 25.53 MB - 0.98
    40 - 120 - 51.06 MB - 0.78

If you overstep your limit then it's 2.35 per meg.

If anyone knows how to get an unlimited plan (or the 25 for 250 MB plan) with a phone, please let us know!

T-Mobile UK 2 GB: 7.50
    Vodafone UK 2 GB: 4620.00
    33 MB= around 1 podcast per day. This is no replacement for wifi.

Surur
  18.    #18  
    2.35 per MB overage? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Hopefully Vodafone pulls a Sprint and adds an unlimited data option with the 750's announcement. That overage charge is just crazy. The more I read about this, the more I realize why WiFI is such a sticking point in Europe. I personally would like it on my Sprint 700p (mostly for int'l airports that have WiFi but no EVDO), but it's not a deal breaker.
    LOL even Chinese mobile carriers offer unlimited data. Maybe some of these European carrier should move to 21st century?
    You have to throw Canada in their too. We pay $100 for 100 mb. That's why WiFi is just as imporatnt here (well to me) as it is there. That's why i may have to pass on the treo?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast