Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    Is it possible to use Bose headphone (3.5mm->2.5mm jack?) to Treo 700wx on a flight instead of hauling the ipod assuming you have your songs on SD card?

    I'm assuming an adapter exists for 3.5mm->2.5mm. Is there a way to turn the phone feature off on the Treo 700wx so you can just use the media player?
  2. #2  
    Yes. You can turn the phone radio off and still use other features phone.
  3. #3  
    I fly a lot for work, so I have thousands of miles flying with my Treos.....Here is one experience I had:

    Flying With a Cell Phone......
  4. AQCZ's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    #4  
    You can use it on the plane. I've used my treo 650 several times. Didn't use 700 yet on plane since I only had a few days but yes you can. Just power the phone off and keep in pda mode
  5. #5  
    I had a blast with my 700w on my last plane trip... I knew I had a few hour delays and a few hours in the plane itself so ..

    I bought pocket dvd and converted a few of my favorite movies and transfered them to my Treo

    synced my treo to my napster account and transfered any songs that I wanted to listen to

    Downloaded a few games that I enjoy

    I picked up a 2.5mm >> 3.5mm head phone jack and brought my bose headphones

    Needless to say I wasn't bored at all.. I was so impressed how the videos were.. at first you had to squint to see the screen but after my eyes adjusted I didn't even realize I was watching a movie on my treo
  6. #6  
    A bit off topic but, you have to be careful. I once overheard a conversation between a passenger and a gate attendant. He had a Treo 650 and had been escorted off his flight because the flight attendants didn't understand that the Treo 650 can't be completely turned off even though the celluar radio was off. Ever since then, I've kept my 650 in my pocket during flights.
  7. #7  
    Escorted off the flight? Jeez. As prevalent as Treos/Blackberrys/Smartphones are nowadays, you'd think flight attendants would be a little more with the times and realize they still function with the radio off. Personally, I have used my Treo since the 600 days on well over 100 filghts without incident (used to travel every week in my previous job).
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
    Escorted off the flight? Jeez. As prevalent as Treos/Blackberrys/Smartphones are nowadays, you'd think flight attendants would be a little more with the times and realize they still function with the radio off. Personally, I have used my Treo since the 600 days on well over 100 filghts without incident (used to travel every week in my previous job).
    You would think especially since alot of regular cellphones have airplane modes now as well. This happened pretty recently too...in May. I used to use my BlackBerry on flights without a problems. This sort of thing probably doesn't happen that often but man I bet thats inconviencing. If a flight attendant ever asks me to turn my treo off when I know the radio is already off...I'm poppin the battery out that sucker no questions asked!! Because it seemed like they just weren't trying to hear that guy's case at all.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by grizer View Post
    I had a blast with my 700w on my last plane trip... I knew I had a few hour delays and a few hours in the plane itself so ..

    I bought pocket dvd and converted a few of my favorite movies and transfered them to my Treo

    synced my treo to my napster account and transfered any songs that I wanted to listen to

    Downloaded a few games that I enjoy

    I picked up a 2.5mm >> 3.5mm head phone jack and brought my bose headphones

    Needless to say I wasn't bored at all.. I was so impressed how the videos were.. at first you had to squint to see the screen but after my eyes adjusted I didn't even realize I was watching a movie on my treo
    Where did you pick up the 2.5mm >> 3.5mm adapter from and how much?
  10. #10  
    I'm suprised they don't have them here...

    I got mine at the Palm Store in an east coast airport.. I paid $10, a huge savings compaired to the $179 stereo headset I was looking at first..

    The L shape is really nice also..

  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch75 View Post
    Is it possible to use Bose headphone (3.5mm->2.5mm jack?) to Treo 700wx on a flight instead of hauling the ipod assuming you have your songs on SD card?

    I'm assuming an adapter exists for 3.5mm->2.5mm. Is there a way to turn the phone feature off on the Treo 700wx so you can just use the media player?
    There are hours of reports on TreoCentral on this topic. What you want to do is safe and reasonable.

    However, this is not about the Treo, not about what it can or cannot do, not about the airline; it is about the crew member. They can do whatever they like and, in the current atmosphere, you will cooperate.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch75 View Post
    Is it possible to use Bose headphone (3.5mm->2.5mm jack?) to Treo 700wx on a flight instead of hauling the ipod assuming you have your songs on SD card?

    I'm assuming an adapter exists for 3.5mm->2.5mm. Is there a way to turn the phone feature off on the Treo 700wx so you can just use the media player?
    OK, I'll give them a free plug <arr-arr>. You can also buy the adapters here at TreoCentral - six bucks. http://store.treocentral.com/content/accessories/73.htm
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by JWB! View Post
    OK, I'll give them a free plug <arr-arr>. You can also buy the adapters here at TreoCentral - six bucks. http://store.treocentral.com/content/accessories/73.htm
    Awesome!! I looked for them before I posted .. for some reason I couldn't find them, Thanks
  14.    #14  
    I found the 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter for $1.79 @ Fry's.

    Still not sure what to do about music while I work.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    However, this is not about the Treo, not about what it can or cannot do, not about the airline; it is about the crew member. They can do whatever they like and, in the current atmosphere, you will cooperate.
    You have managed to sum it up, except wrongly. If you want the status quo to continue and worsen, then you "will cooperate". If you want your transportation system to be functionally convenient, then you will point out to the flight crew that the inconvenience they cause you will impact your future patronage of their airline. Many airlines are on the verge of bankruptcy, so I would hope that they should not be as fascist as many urban legends relate.

    The more who follow the pansy "give in to whatever they say" attitude, the worse off we all are as consumers and travellers.
  16. #16  
    I was traveling on Continental this weekend and was worried about having my Treo proviledges taken away. A list of approved devices was provided at the back of Continental magazine, however, and it included smartphones with the radio turned off. GPS devices were allowed also, so I was able to track the plane's path over part of the trip on a TomTom Major Roads of America Map.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    I was traveling on Continental this weekend and was worried about having my Treo proviledges taken away. A list of approved devices was provided at the back of Continental magazine, however, and it included smartphones with the radio turned off. GPS devices were allowed also, so I was able to track the plane's path over part of the trip on a TomTom Major Roads of America Map.
    Cool! At least one airline gets it. Lots of Continental flights to Europe from EWR.

Posting Permissions