Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I get as excited as anyone about new technology. I buy new laptops about every 6 months and phones on about the same pace.

All weekend, I've had the joy of doing a side by side comparison of the 700wx and the 700p and unfortunately for me, my initial excitement about the wx has faded into, so what's the real difference? That's why I put this out there to have someone tell me something I may be missing.

For starters I find the P to have a better screen, it appears more vibrant, and bright, despite both of them being on the brightest setting. Even my 9 year old said of the WX, it looks a bit blurry.

I have installed the registry hack so the WX sends pictures like the P, that was a major setback until I found the hack.. thanks to others on this board!

The one advantage the WX has is real time sync with the Exchange Server, but the P can do it at 30 minute intervals and do I really WANT to be connected to the office all the time?

The WX allows me to create MP3 ring tones and they do sound much better. I created QCP ring tones on the P and then had to upload them and download them, a somewhat cumbersome process, but it worked. So on ring tones the WX wins on quality and ease.

I did purchase PDA Net to use the P as a bluetooth modem, but it disconnects after about 35 seconds. I have not tried the modem on the WX. Nor have I tried the USB modem on the P so that might make a difference. So here's my score card so far:

Email: WX because of real time sync
    Pictures: P because it doesn't need the patch
    Text: P because they are threaded, although it's not a big deal either way, it's just what you're used too
    Contacts: WX because of the picture shortcuts on the front page to speed dial contacts
    Ringers: WX because of the ease and quality of Mp3
    Quality of call: Same

So as I review after a full weekend, I'm having a hard time coming up with a logical reason to do the upgrade. money is not really a factor, but I don't like wasting it anymore than anyone else, so I'm perplexed. I certainly don't need both.

One things for sure, EITHER ONE kicks *** over the Blackberry 7130.

Anyone else doing a side by side? Am I missing something?
    Just depends on what you want to do with each I guess.

There was a thread here about "killer app(s)" on the WM5 and at this point, Slingbox seems to be the biggest contender (it is for me).

Now, if you have no need or want to stream cable or your tivo to your phone, obviously this is a non-issue. Same with skype.

So it's all relative and what you prefer. I'm lead to believe that you'll see much more product developemnt for the WM5 platform over POS and so I'm happy but if you have everything you want on POS, why switch?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    it really comes down to the differences in the OS. With the wx you can multitask, its a newer OS (which means it wasn't patched to death to make it work), there seems to be more support for WM5. The 700p does have higher resolution....but I find that its not even a factor for me. THe palmos hasn't had a real update in years as well.
    I agree with the other posters. It really boils down to what you will use your device for. I have used the Palm OS for many years, and switched to WM5 with the 6700. I was very apprehensive about this, but after switching, view Palm as an amateur-ish OS. It is too basic for my business needs.

Also, I agree the slingbox was one of the main selling points with WM5. I love it.

The screen is lower resolution than the Palm (and 6700) but I have found if you set the system font to the smallest setting, it's more than adequate.

Just pick the device that fits your needs. If Palm introduces a multi-tasking modern OS, I may give them another look. After all, their current OS is ancient and IMO, should be EOL'd. Until then, it's Windows for me.
    Last edited by ericshmerick; 09/10/2006 at 07:56 PM.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I too am on the fence. I purchased the 700wx as an upgrade from the 700p. I have had the full line of treos so far and a few other phones 300, 600, 650, 6700 (not a treo) and the 700p.

The main thing I like about the Treo 700wx is how fast it reacts. No white screens. It turns on a full 2-3 seconds faster than the 700p. The issues I am having is that I have 3 or 4 email personal imap accounts and all are forwarded to 1 account. I like to respond using different accounts and it is not possible with pocket outlook. You can do it from Flexmail, however the interface is not as nice as pocket outlook. I also like using Slingbox but don't find myself using it as much on the small screen as I would on a laptop or other desktop. I also find that the VNC clients for the WX are not as nice as PalmVnc. I tried a few and couldn't get 5 way to work to move the screen around.

I just can't find the compelling reason to switch, even though I think the WX is so much better than the 6700 and WM5 has really made progress in the operating system. I just find that the 700p is still really good and the 700wx cant justify $680 (with tax) + about $100 in software to switch.
    That the 700wx is found at least equivalent to the 700p is gigantic progress in any case, as the reviews for the 700p vs 700w were much more negative.

If you are not interested in the areas where the Wx shines (e.g. Skype, multi-tasking, SlingBox, Exchange push, WIFI etc) then you are not going to find much reason to switch.

In any case, was the WX meant to be an upgrade to the 700p? It should be more of a cross grade?

Surur
    Note that neither this forum or the 700p forum will be completely objective. I've been trying the 700wx but try as I might I don't see any real advantage to switching at this point. Also I find that the standard Palm OS apps are just simply better than the WM5 apps. Multitasking is at this point a little overblown. It IS nice to be looking at a web page and be able to switch to some other app to jot a note or do something else and come right back. But is that enough to switch? Depends on your priorities.

A final note, you do know you don't need PDAnet on the 700p? You only need it if you are trying to get around the additional tethering fees. I use a Verizon 700p and the native bluetooth dun works just fine with it and a Mac laptop. I've also booted under Windows and use it with USB to download Windows updates and files and never had a problem with disconnections.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I was considering moving from my 700p to the wx, but I think it was mainly due to it being a new gadget. For my needs, the p works great and will be even better once Palm releases a firmware update to address the white screen delay.

Multitasking is a big point for some. I am curious though what Palm is considered, because it can do some multitasking. For example, I can listen to ptunes while surfing the web and checking my email in the background with Chatter. Plus there are other things running in the background as well such as KeyCaps, KeyGuardTime+ and other hacks.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    I hope someone can help,
    I use docs to go on the 700P a lot ( my whole business is on it) but am not very happy, are the documents on the 700wx handled better? if DTG is the most important thing to me, should I switch?
    Thanks
    As many have already stated, the wx has it hands down over the P as it allows multitasking. However, I just can't get past the higher resolution screen of the P. If the wx had the 320 x 320 screen, I would likely be switching.
    My brother just got a WX and I personally wasnt impressed... The only thing I like over the PALM on the WX is the multitasking, but Ill get over it. I dont consider myself a rookie with gadgets but the WX seemed to sloppy, as stroths said the lower resolution is a big turn off and the functionality to me was a little lacking, but ofcourse this is a mere opinion. Ill stick with the PALM and hope that it progresses even further...
    Quote Originally Posted by mabmarc View Post
    I too am on the fence. I purchased the 700wx as an upgrade from the 700p. I have had the full line of treos so far and a few other phones 300, 600, 650, 6700 (not a treo) and the 700p.

The main thing I like about the Treo 700wx is how fast it reacts. No white screens. It turns on a full 2-3 seconds faster than the 700p. The issues I am having is that I have 3 or 4 email personal imap accounts and all are forwarded to 1 account. I like to respond using different accounts and it is not possible with pocket outlook. You can do it from Flexmail, however the interface is not as nice as pocket outlook. I also like using Slingbox but don't find myself using it as much on the small screen as I would on a laptop or other desktop. I also find that the VNC clients for the WX are not as nice as PalmVnc. I tried a few and couldn't get 5 way to work to move the screen around.

I just can't find the compelling reason to switch, even though I think the WX is so much better than the 6700 and WM5 has really made progress in the operating system. I just find that the 700p is still really good and the 700wx cant justify $680 (with tax) + about $100 in software to switch.

Which VNC client are you using on your wx? Any recommendations?
    Don't forget the jacked up prices for the WX just due to limited quantities out there.

Which I try to make some money off of on eBay.
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvDucs View Post
    Which VNC client are you using on your wx? Any recommendations?
    Mocha VNC has been the best I've seen so far.
    As far as the screen I was expecting it to be noticable, and it's not. I've even showed friends of mine who have 650's and 700p's and they were like how could you go to Windows Mobile and 240 x 240, and I say try it out. They all say the same thing, the screen isn't noticable as they were lead to believe, and they found the 700wx to be faster than their 700p's as I do too. The 650 is still faster, the 700p needs a firmware upgrade asap. They were really impressed with the 700wx, especially the internet speed. The 700p users said that alone would make them consider switching.

Surur is right about the reviews, the 700p killed the 700w, now the 700wx is doing just as well. It comes down to what OS you prefer, and what you need. I have preferred Palm OS for years, but now with the 700wx being just as fast, and multitasking not creating slow downs it's a no brainer for me. The 700wx in my opinion is Palm's top of the line smartphone, whether it be Palm OS or WIndows Mobile.

There is also much more software support for Windows Mobile, it wasn't always like this. Now with Palm's own PDN (Palm Developers Network) including Windows Mobile don't be surprised if some of your favorite Palm apps port over to Windows Mobile. Palm has a hit on their hands with the 700wx. I haven't seen one bad review of it yet like I did with the 700w.

I'm enjoying the "dark side", I can do so much more here just as quickly as I could do on the Palm OS with the benefit of multitasking.

I've decided to keep both my 700wx and 700p. I got Sprint to do a plan of adding the 700wx as a second line and for both phones I will be paying a little less than $80 a month.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Jimmie,

I am going to go into a Sprint store this weekend and check out the wx's screen. When I see pictures of the screen showing the mobile.palm.com website, I see at least one line less of information on the wx compared to the P. Other than showing less content, your comments indicate that the display is comparable. If that is truly the case, the wx's appeal would increase.

Out of curiousity, why would you keep both devices? Being that you appear to like the wx over the P, what is the attraction to keeping your P?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    As far as the screen I was expecting it to be noticable, and it's not. I've even showed friends of mine who have 650's and 700p's and they were like how could you go to Windows Mobile and 240 x 240, and I say try it out. They all say the same thing, the screen isn't noticable as they were lead to believe, and they found the 700wx to be faster than their 700p's as I do too. The 650 is still faster, the 700p needs a firmware upgrade asap. They were really impressed with the 700wx, especially the internet speed. The 700p users said that alone would make them consider switching.

Surur is right about the reviews, the 700p killed the 700w, now the 700wx is doing just as well. It comes down to what OS you prefer, and what you need. I have preferred Palm OS for years, but now with the 700wx being just as fast, and multitasking not creating slow downs it's a no brainer for me. The 700wx in my opinion is Palm's top of the line smartphone, whether it be Palm OS or WIndows Mobile.

There is also much more software support for Windows Mobile, it wasn't always like this. Now with Palm's own PDN (Palm Developers Network) including Windows Mobile don't be surprised if some of your favorite Palm apps port over to Windows Mobile. Palm has a hit on their hands with the 700wx. I haven't seen one bad review of it yet like I did with the 700w.

I'm enjoying the "dark side", I can do so much more here just as quickly as I could do on the Palm OS with the benefit of multitasking.

I've decided to keep both my 700wx and 700p. I got Sprint to do a plan of adding the 700wx as a second line and for both phones I will be paying a little less than $80 a month.
    I am keeping the 700p because I still really like it. My monthly bill from Sprint will be less than $80 to have both the 700p and 700wx. I do a lot of software testing for Palm OS developers, and also review a lot of Palm stuff for my site and PalmAddict. I wouldn't recommend people having 2 phones, it's crazy to me as well, but for $80 a month I can swing it. That's less than one month on one Verizon phone.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I bought the 700p about a week before the WX came out. The 700p reminded me of when the 650 first came out: it had a lot of small issues that were later fixed with ROM updates. On the 700p, I noticed alot of sluggishness when accessing the favorites buttons and delays when launching programs. Also, the p seemed to not know how to properly handle the bluetooth connection as it would disconnect my headset about 30 seconds after a call ended. Also, it would not automatically reconnect if I went out of range and then came back within range. Very frustrating.

Luckily, I was still in the 30 return period when the wx came out, so I did an exchange. I too was worried about the screen resolution, but the main difference seems like the wx has a little less contrast. It's really not a deal breaker. The area where the wx shines is in the responsiveness of when accessing menus. It's really quick.

After about a week and half with the wx, I can say I prefer it to the p. Activesync blows the doors off of Hotsync, and the multitasking is great. IMO, the only people who would not prefer the wx to the p are previous Treo owners that are used to the Palm OS and don't want to change. The wx is the best WM5 device out there right now, bar none. The power of WM5 combined with the Treos form factor are an awesome combination.
    Told my wife I was considering getting the wx to try, along with the 700P that I already had. My thinking was that I have 3 phones with Sprint and 3 with Verizon. The 700P is with Verizon. Sprint is significantly cheaper for data plans, so I could make a case for switching back to Sprint. However, the wife isn't buying it. The battle wages on. My intent was to keep the better of the two devices and sell the other one. Round two starts tomorrow morning. Wish me luck!

Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    I am keeping the 700p because I still really like it. My monthly bill from Sprint will be less than $80 to have both the 700p and 700wx. I do a lot of software testing for Palm OS developers, and also review a lot of Palm stuff for my site and PalmAddict. I wouldn't recommend people having 2 phones, it's crazy to me as well, but for $80 a month I can swing it. That's less than one month on one Verizon phone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast