1.    #1  
    I have searched the site and find it hard to believe that none of the old 700w guys ever freed up memory by removing the junk ware. For those that donít know what Iím talking about, junks ware is all the junk software that came with your phone.
    There are cab files that are writing on the ROM that are installed when the phone is first turn on and each time the phone is hard reset. A ROM unlocker and a little editing of these files can remove unwanted files giving more room for the stuff you want. Some say that these pre installed programs are still 3rd party programs that can have bugs in them and slow down your phone.

My intentions are to remove some of the junk ware and remove the voice command program. With this voice command program gone a good install of the voice dialer program from the htc devices would allow voice dialing.

Anyway, back on subject. Has anyone heard of did anything with the ROM and there 700w/wx?

Thanks, Cody
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post

Anyway, back on subject. Has anyone heard of did anything with the ROM and there 700w/wx?
    I haven't but here's my deal:

I'm waiting for the GSM Treo 750 to come out next week (?) on Vodaphone. The XDA forum (where the serious hacks come out of) is overwhelmingly GSM users and so there has been little to no progress on any WM Treos...yet.

So I think once that huge community jumps into the game, we'll start to see things like a2dp, rom unlocker's etc. At least, that's my working theory. The ppc-6700 (apache) as I'm sure you know was originally the GSM Wizard, hence all the hacks for that device (like a2dp).

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    True....but often times due to the different radios us CDMA guys are still hanging around out in left field standing alone.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I haven't but here's my deal:

I'm waiting for the GSM Treo 750 to come out next week (?) on Vodaphone. The XDA forum (where the serious hacks come out of) is overwhelmingly GSM users and so there has been little to no progress on any WM Treos...yet.

So I think once that huge community jumps into the game, we'll start to see things like a2dp, rom unlocker's etc. At least, that's my working theory. The ppc-6700 (apache) as I'm sure you know was originally the GSM Wizard, hence all the hacks for that device (like a2dp).
    Word.
    can't wait for the announcement.
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    There are cab files that are writing on the ROM that are installed when the phone is first turn on and each time the phone is hard reset. A ROM unlocker and a little editing of these files can remove unwanted files giving more room for the stuff you want. Some say that these pre installed programs are still 3rd party programs that can have bugs in them and slow down your phone.
    On the 6700, with the AKU2 firmware update, there are certain applications pre-installed _in the ROM_, such as the sddialer (the HTC voice dialer.) These programs are part of HTC's installation that are on ALL the HTC apache phones of that firmware level (regardless of customizations.)

There are other programs that are in the 'extended ROM' partition which are installed on the phone after a hard reset (such as the MMS stuff on verizon, audible on sprint, etc.) These are put there by audiovox/UTStar for each provider. These are the programs that are being "removed" by people customizing that phone.

On the Palm device, all the "extra" programs appear to either be pre-installed in the ROM, or distributed on CD. However, there doesn't appear to be any type of customization process going on after a hard reset, and CAB files appear to be installed after a hard reset. In other words, if it's on the device after a hard-reset, it's in the base firmware, and not something that can be removed. At best, it can be disabled or hidden via registry edits. However, they are really still there (but don't take up any user accessible space.)
    I agree with Malatesta. Since the square-screen WM5 devices are presently limited to the US, the international community hasn't had a chance to hack it apart like other devices. Once the 750 is released, the crazy European hackers will pick the square-screen OS to pieces. This will give us an opportunity to learn from them.

There will no doubt be a ton of hacks on xdausers before long; all of which we can benefit from!