Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I never realized just how limited my 700p was until I picked up a 700wx. Everytime I start a task on my 700wx I stare at the screen forgetting that I can still do other stuff while it's processing. Nearly everything on PalmOS has to be done in serial resulting in a LOT of wasted time. Now I can tell outlook to download my latest mail and still read other emails, switch accounts, etc while downloading.

Something that would NEVER happen on a 700p, tabbed browsing! It's like having Firefox on my phone. My 700p barely lets me browse one page at a time.

As a little multitasking test I ran slingplayer (streaming video) and windows media player (mp3) at the same time and they both performed without a single hitch or stutter. On my 700p I can't even switch apps without relentless stuttering from pTunes. Don't even try to actually DO anything while pTunes is playing because it's a complete waste of time.

I'm not trying to bash the 700p, it's just that I like the 700wx THAT much. Moving from PalmOS to Windows Mobile is like moving from Windows 3.0 to Windows XP.
    Last edited by Sigma4Life; 09/09/2006 at 11:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma4Life View Post
    I'm not trying to bash the 700p
    Are you sure?

I liked the multitasking on WM but I found that I didnt actually utilize it all that much?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I personally use Multitasking extensively on a daily basis with any / all combination of the following....GPS running, with FlexMail pulling my email, jotting down a note with Bug Me, and Pocket Music streaming MP3s with FM mod, jump on Express to look up a local address, checking some numbers in a spreadsheet while comparing it to a PDF attachment I just recieved via email compared to remote control my work computer to get the latest stats, etc.....

It is amazing how easy it is to have so many things going without even realizing you are doing it!
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 09/10/2006 at 04:30 AM.
    Personally I can't see any advantage of tabbed browsing on a 2" screen. There is precious enough little screen space, I don't want to lose more to a row of tabs.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I am totally for multi windows open while browsing so one can be downloading while viewing the other, but I agree with not using tabs while browsing due to tight screen space. That is why I use SPB Pocket Plus Alt+Tab feature to jump back and forth with a click of a hardware button. I assigned my windows menu button as what Alt+Tab would do on my laptop. Quick, easy, and no additional tabs.
    I never realized just how limited my 700p was until I picked up a 700wx. Everytime I start a task on my 700wx I stare at the screen forgetting that I can still do other stuff while it's processing. Nearly everything on PalmOS has to be done in serial resulting in a LOT of wasted time. Now I can tell outlook to download my latest mail and still read other emails, switch accounts, etc while downloading.

Something that would NEVER happen on a 700p, tabbed browsing! It's like having Firefox on my phone. My 700p barely lets me browse one page at a time.

As a little multitasking test I ran slingplayer (streaming video) and windows media player (mp3) at the same time and they both performed without a single hitch or stutter. On my 700p I can't even switch apps without relentless stuttering from pTunes. Don't even try to actually DO anything while pTunes is playing because it's a complete waste of time.

I'm not trying to bash the 700p, it's just that I like the 700wx THAT much. Moving from PalmOS to Windows Mobile is like moving from Windows 3.0 to Windows XP.
    How did you get tabbed browsing on your WX?
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    Minimo or FTXPBrowser, I reckon. (Or FXTP? I forget--it's been around since Pocket PC 2002, the last time I owned a WM device.)
    Dont forget Opera Mobile and Netfront 3.3 Opera Mobile especially will give you multi-window browsing with OR without tabs. Tabs are stylus-centric, if you are going for one-handed usage then menu-driven windowing is just as good.

Surur
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    MultiIE http://www.southwaycorp.net/index.htm
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho View Post
    Are you sure?

I liked the multitasking on WM but I found that I didnt actually utilize it all that much?
    I do sound like i'm bashing the 700p lol. I honestly loved that phone until Tuesday when I got the 700wx. I feel like I've just come into the light and realized what I've been missing.
    I was having a hard time getting used to the wx (3 years on Palm OS) until I noticed I was multitasking with it. Using the amazing google mobile app, making a call with it while having IE open.. it's really neat and the biggest plus definately.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    I personally use Multitasking extensively on a daily basis with any / all combination of the following....GPS running, with FlexMail pulling my email, jotting down a note with Bug Me, and Pocket Music streaming MP3s with FM mod, jump on Express to look up a local address, checking some numbers in a spreadsheet while comparing it to a PDF attachment I just recieved via email compared to remote control my work computer to get the latest stats, etc.....

It is amazing how easy it is to have so many things going without even realizing you are doing it!

I am totally for multi windows open while browsing so one can be downloading while viewing the other, but I agree with not using tabs while browsing due to tight screen space. That is why I use SPB Pocket Plus Alt+Tab feature to jump back and forth with a click of a hardware button. I assigned my windows menu button as what Alt+Tab would do on my laptop. Quick, easy, and no additional tabs.
    wow!!!!! awesome stuff! you're even making me re-consider my Treo!

Hi, is Flexmail as feature rich or close to Chatter on the Palm os?
    Also, will the 700wx do all the multitasking (email,web,etc) even with the device powered off?

Thanks!
    Fred
    Cingular 680

Ok, I guess I do a couple of those things right now on my 650. Im playing mp3's with realplayer in the background, Im sending email in the background with chatter and Im looking at an excel sheet with Doc2Go.

It doesnt feel like multitasking because of the things going on in the background and the fact that Im concentrating on the excel sheet.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I do sound like i'm bashing the 700p lol. I honestly loved that phone until Tuesday when I got the 700wx. I feel like I've just come into the light and realized what I've been missing.
    I was just teasing...Im thinking about the wx before I go on summer abroad next year (I HAVE to have a wifi option though because cdma wont work there).

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Hobbes' the man. This is how it's done.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxWave View Post
    Hobbes' the man. This is how it's done.
    Urr, I liked the Alt+Tab, but everything else about that huge software app had me uninstalling it (SPB pocket plus). It required 4.4mb and my Treo felt slower after the install.

I know there are alternatives (i hope so, at least) but lookin' through all of them is a pain in the ****. Just using Magic Button for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    Urr, I liked the Alt+Tab, but everything else about that huge software app had me uninstalling it (SPB pocket plus). It required 4.4mb and my Treo felt slower after the install.

I know there are alternatives (i hope so, at least) but lookin' through all of them is a pain in the ****. Just using Magic Button for now.
    I agree. Personally, I'm a huge fan of AE Button Plus for having multiple functions per button (up to four) plus it has a built in task manager/switcher like SPB but it alllows you close the app via a right shift on the d-pad w/out opening the app.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I have been using Pocket Plus for nearly 2 years now and love it as it as soo many extra tools that should have been in the OS to begin with. On a 32 mb 700w, I can see how it may drag, but on the 700wx, if used responsibly there shouldn't be any lag.

Usually when someone says it made my system slow down they are using the today plugin with loads of tabs and icons. I keep my today plugin with no tabs an only a single row of small icons. Never effected my system with 64 mb RAM in the least. The other options are great as well, but I still prefer Pocket Plus and personally recommend it.

EDIT: See the bottom of my today screen, on one row of icons and no tabs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 09/10/2006 at 09:52 PM.
    For many, especially me, the 700p was just a bad investment. We jumped in, hoping for something better, and were disappointed. Fortunately, I can write it off as a loss, but still, that's $550 I could have saved had I been more patient. You live and learn...

I do miss the smily options in my text messages though.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast