1.    #1  
    In another thread someone suggested that if I wanted to keep both the 700wx and the 700p, I could call Sprint and do an ESN swap when I wanted to switch phones. Lets say I wanted to do this once a week or so. Has anyone done this repeatedly to swap between phones? Does Sprint charge for this? Does it screw up any programming on your Treos?

Just curious as to your experiences with this.

Thanks.
    i do believe they will charge you some fee for this. just decide which one you want to keep and sell/return the other.
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Never experienced a fee. I haven't done it a ton but have purchased a couple 6700's for trial and didn't have problems with Sprint.
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    They will try and charge you a fee. Everytime I have tried to ESN swap recently they have mentioned this fee. I just kind of blow up about how I think it is ridiculous and that it is a business account. I don't get angry with the rep or anything, I just state that it is a BS charge and that I haven't paid it in the past and they waive it for me. I think this is the only disadvantage of CDMA. It really hurts the carrier too I think. If Sprint had RUIM cards, I would own probably half a dozen devices. I have bought more than 1 $600 phone outright from Sprint, just think how many I would have if I could swap at will. A lot of lost revenue on their part.

Lets see I would have:
    A900, damn that phone is sleek and sexy.
    6016i, gets uber reception and sounds very good also seems very durable and has analog roam. Ideal for a beater phone when you are going somewhere where it could be damaged.
    Treo 650, I actually have one of these on my second line, but I would probably keep one around for some days when I just want to blow up some text.
    PPC-6700, this phone is just plain awesome.
    Fusic, I'm dying to play with this phone, doubtful I would buy one as I don't think it support A2DP and if it doesn't then I have the "why bother" attitude.
    Treo 700wx, I want one of these, but am hindered by the lack of wifi and 240x240 screen. If I could swap at will, I would proably get one and try for a bit and if I could live with the 240x240 keep it for times when I didn't need wifi. Oddly enough I don't use wifi too much, but I just like having the option. I'm sure the user on my second line would love to use this or my 6700, as WM5 destroys POS.

I think that is about it. Man do they need a SIM substitute.
    I just switched from a 700p to a 700wx and while the difference in screen resolution is noticable, it's not as bad as I expected.
    Sprint should only charge an activation fee the first time you swap ESN's on an unactivated device. After that, you should be able to swap previously activated ESN's anytime you want without fee or penalty. Do note however, that everytime you activate a different ESN, it resets your rebate timer. If you're 11 months into contract and you swap ESN's, you'll have to wait another 12 months before you can receive the 12 month discount on a new phone (same for 24 month discount).
    Yeah, I've had that problem several times. I've been holdign out for the 700wx so yesterday I called, fussed, almost cussed etc and got sprint to give my 150 credit on my bill. I simply reminded them that I've had about 6 replacement treo650's and none of them had been my fault, but faulty from their "replacement" center...
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
    just add a second line. many plans allow a 2nd line for free. then forward ur calls from the number people know, to the new number, when u need to use the other phone (sprint to sprint is free for a lot of plans).
    Palm Pilot Pro...Palm III...Palm V...Handspring Treo 180...Handspring Treo 300...Palm Treo 600...Palm Treo 650...Palm Treo 700p...Bye Bye palm , Hello wm5....Palm Treo 700wx...... 800w.
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    I don't know that mobile to mobile includes forwarding. be careful with that one. usually forwarding costs something like .20 a minute!
    Kash76

10.    #10  
    I already asked Sprint about that option. Even though Mobile to Mobile is free, they still charge the .20 / minute for call Forwarding.

I am going to stop in the store tomorrow and tell explain that I "want" to keep and use both phones and see what thery have as suggestions. I have gotten to know the local Sprint guys and gal pretty well over the years, so if there is something they can do, I am sure they will.

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    why not just have a voicemail on the "old" phone announcing your new number?
    Kash76

I use sunrocket as my home VOIP provider. They give me a second number for free, which I can forward to another number if I like. If you have something similar to this, you could forward it to the phone you want and change it online at anytime.

This would allow you to give out a single phone number. However, outgoing calls would reveal the true number for that phone.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    I have yet to understand why Sprint doesn't offer online ESN swaps. That would save them lots of manpower answering phones, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
    I have yet to understand why Sprint doesn't offer online ESN swaps. That would save them lots of manpower answering phones, etc.
    I think they used to have it, but I heard it had problems, like security issues or sometimes it just didn't work right. It would be nice though, to be able to swap ESN's online, so you could do it at any time of the day, not just when sprint's CS is available (unless they work 24/7, but I don't think that's the case)
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Hm, is this fee a new thing? I don't remember them charging me, and I've done this a couple of times. Does anyone know how they keep track of these swaps?
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I just went through this... upgraded to a 700p from a 650. There is an $18 dollar fee to switch ESNs if you call customer service and have them do it. I called and complained and got the fee credited back and was told if you go to a Sprint store and have the ESN swapped there, it is a $36 dollar fee!
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    just tell them you will return your phone and they will waive the fee...they are testing the waters