1.    #1  
    So I found this sound annoying and was surprised that it can't be disabled manually via the settings.

Anyways, here you go (not I tried editing the other strings in that directory and no effect--this is the only one that works):

To disable the shutter sound on the Treo 700wx's camera use a registry editor and go to:

HKLM\System\Pictures\Camera\OEM\SoundFile

Under "String" it should say

\Windows\ShutterSound312.wav

Simply edit out this line and leave the string empty.

Exit the registry and do not soft resetfor at least a couple of minutes to let the change write to ROM.

No soft reset is needed for change to occur.

Now, whenever you take a picture there will be no sound.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Thanks
    So, what are you hiding from? Afraid the hottie at Starbucks will hear your shutter sound?

just kidding man
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
    So, what are you hiding from? Afraid the hottie at Starbucks will hear your shutter sound?

just kidding man
    ummmm...no! ummm...mabye.

is there any way to change that sound to a custome one?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by xplod4202 View Post
    is there any way to change that sound to a custome one?
    I thought it was kind of obvious: pick your sound file and put it...somewhere on your device

replace that "String" line with the program path to that sound file and it should work.

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    So I found this sound annoying and was surprised that it can't be disabled manually via the settings.

Anyways, here you go (not I tried editing the other strings in that directory and no effect--this is the only one that works):

To disable the shutter sound on the Treo 700wx's camera use a registry editor and go to:

HKLM\System\Pictures\Camera\OEM\SoundFile

Under "String" it should say

\Windows\ShutterSound312.wav

Simply edit out this line and leave the string empty.

Exit the registry and do not soft resetfor at least a couple of minutes to let the change write to ROM.

No soft reset is needed for change to occur.

Now, whenever you take a picture there will be no sound.
    where can i get a registry edit program.......and is it easy to use? i'm not an expert and don't want to screw anything up.....just remove the shutter sound.
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    Couldn't you just rename the ShutterSound312.wav in the windows folder to something else? Wouldn't that work to change it or get rid of it if the wav you saved was empty.

Greg
    Sounds like someone was searching the registry for an SMS fix and found something else!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    Sounds like someone was searching the registry for an SMS fix and found something else!
    lol, all though technically yes I was doing that last night, this thread is actually from 9/9.

I jumped in pretty early trying to kill that shutter sound.

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GregE View Post
    Couldn't you just rename the ShutterSound312.wav in the windows folder to something else? Wouldn't that work to change it or get rid of it if the wav you saved was empty.

Greg
    for some reason, it doesn't give an option to delete this file....anyone know how to rid of it?
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by box33 View Post
    for some reason, it doesn't give an option to delete this file....anyone know how to rid of it?
    it's a system/ROM file, you can delete or modify it, hence the registry edit!

Thanks Mal..
    Last edited by Dinomon; 10/20/2006 at 01:55 PM.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Another possible solution is to turn the sound off via the hardware switch when taking pictures.