1.    #1  

Mobile-Review.com has an interesting article giving a detailed preview of what to expect in upcoming AKU 3 ROM updates from Windows Mobile 5 device makers.

According to Mobile-Review AKU 3 includes .NET Compact Framework 2 in ROM, instead of needing to be installed as an add in. As many new software apps require this its a welcome change.

A further feature is the ability to make devices with multiple language packs included, user selectable at first start-up. This promises to simplify device distribution for OEM's who operate in multiple territories.

A great addition is the ability to use your PDA as a bluetooth Access Point for other devices such as laptops, only requiring that the other device supports the bluetooth networking profile. Somehow I cant see too many carriers distributing this feature.

Bluetooth FTP profile has also been added, and A2DP has been improved.

Further wireless improvements include a wizard for setting up WIFI, and support for WIFI WPA2.

The apps have also been enhanced. Pocket Internet Explorer now supports AJAX support (Asynchronous JavaScript and XML), Outlook Mobile now has a wizard that helps you set up your mobile e-mail at first boot, e-mail folders are now navigable stylus-free, contacts can now be transferred via SMS, and SMS can now be sent via GPRS.

External displays are now supported, and MP3 ring tones can now be assigned to all system events, such as SMS and reminders.

To read more about all these important changes, and see many screen shots, read Mobile-Review's review of the Windows Mobile 5 AKU's
    http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/art...m-aku-en.shtml

Surur
    it would be nice to have a2dp on the 700w or wx lol
    oooh, improved a2dp! There is hope!
  4.    #4  
    A great addition is the ability to use your PDA as a bluetooth Access Point for other devices such as laptops, only requiring that the other device supports the bluetooth networking profile.

Wireless connectivity has also received a major boost – an all-round new Internet Sharing utility replaces Modem Link, and allows accessing Internet via Pocket PC or smartphone with the help of USB/Bluetooth connection. On top of that settings are one-sided, which means that you will have to adjust only your mobile device, while your PC should only have support for Bluetooth network profile onboard, at that Windows Mobile-powered device doubles as a Bluetooth access point rather than a remote modem. In a nutshell, all you have got to do is establish connection to the access point without any additional settings being required (for example Access Point defining, which was inevitable on connection via Bluetooth DUN profile).

I thought this was more interesting.

Surur
    well that sounds cool. i doubt verizon will activate that. but maybe im wrong. if i had evdo i would do that and then use my phone for internet on the laptop.
    I assume that means multi-device tethering. That would be nice. Maybe at some point we can all ditch our DSL and cable modems and just use our phone for all of our internet access.
    Stylus free folder access in Pocket Outlook. Now that is somthing that peaked my interest. Ive got to say, MS is really starting to get things right on target in the usability side. I though AKU2 was good. I cant wait till AKU3. Im pretty sure sprint would release this for the wx, as long as it is available in the next 6 months.
    bit_bucket
    I'm assuming this is one of the new HTC phones that they have pictured, because of the 200mhz CPU. Is this correct?
    Great post Surur...that's the kind of info I like to know!!

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I'm looking forward to the PIE changes.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    I'm assuming this is one of the new HTC phones that they have pictured, because of the 200mhz CPU. Is this correct?

The green theme suggests HTC, and the FM radio icon suggests the HTC Artemis, which is 200 Mhz OMAP plus GPS and FM radio. This suggests the HTC Artemis is shipping with AKU 3 already!
    Microsoft® Windows Mobile® 5.0 with
    Direct Push email
    + TomTom NAVIGATOR 6
    + Quad-Band EDGE/GPRS
    + ROM 128MB, RAM 64MB
    + 2.8 inch TFT LCD display
    + Sharp 2.0 mega-pixel camera
    + FM Radio
    + Bluetooth® 2.0
    + Wi-Fi® 802.11b/g
    + MicroSD™
    + HTC ExtUSB™
    + 108mm (L) x 58mm (W) x 16.8mm (T)
    Surur
    AJAX support sounds great, but no multi-window ("tabbed") support?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.