1.    #1  
    i am about to purchase a sd wifi card for the 700w i am going to purchase. and i was wondering if you guys think it is necessary to just go ahead and purchase a 802.11g card. i know the card will be backwards compatible.

i really dont like spending more than i have to. lol im cheap
    Global Posts
    653 Global Posts
    It shouldn't affect your browsing performace since most ISP have 5Mbps at the most. What will get affected is data transfer between devices on the network...

So... if you are going to transfer a file between your computer and your Treo, 11g will transfer it faster than 11b.
  3.    #3  
    oh ok i see what u mean. but how many places like stabucks and mcdonalds have their routers to use 11g only. thats what im worried about
    I don't know where u live but I get 30mbps from Optimum online. Even on the 6700 with the wireless B I get about 15mbps. so get it if u are always around wifi connections.
    I have a lot to say but I dont want to get banned...AGAIN!!
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by benjimatt View Post
    oh ok i see what u mean. but how many places like stabucks and mcdonalds have their routers to use 11g only. thats what im worried about
    I've never seen G only.
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
    Global Posts
    653 Global Posts
    11g is backwards compatible, usually places like Starbucks will have their routers set up at both 11b/g for the sake of their users.

elbombillo2: You may be mixing Mbps with MBps. You cannot get more than 11Mbps with 802.11b since it's rated at a Max of 11 Mbps.

For more info check out this article that shows the difference between all the wireless protocols, specially the more common ones: 802.11g (54Mbps max.) and 802.11b (11Mbps max.)

BTW, just in case... Mbps = MegaBits per Second.
    Pibe is absolutely right ..but the G is backwards compatible with b so you soundnt have a problem
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pibe38 View Post
    11g is backwards compatible, usually places like Starbucks will have their routers set up at both 11b/g for the sake of their users.
    Exactly, my point was that I have never seen a public AP set to "G only". Maybe down the road when 90+ percent are there but for now you would be cutting off a lot of people if you did that.
    Kash76

9.    #9  
    ok cool. i just bought a no name brand one off of ebay for 38 bucks so im happy
    sorry I only got 1.5 on the 6700 from dslreports/mspeed, but I get 30mbps on my computer at home about 3Megabytes per second.
    I have a lot to say but I dont want to get banned...AGAIN!!
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    365k on my EVDO connection
    Kash76