View Poll Results: Does your 700WX's screen have a yellow or other non-white hue?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • My WX's screen has a yellowish hue.

    9 52.94%
  • My WX's screen has an orange-ish / brownish hue.

    1 5.88%
  • My WX's screen has a blue-ish hue.

    2 11.76%
  • My WX's screen has a pure white hue / tint.

    5 29.41%
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    Finally got my 700WX today (UPS is incompetent in my area). Everything about the 700WX is great. The keys do not creak like my 700Ps and the keyboard backlight is a pure white.

    However, my screen has a horrible yellow tint whenever it's on what's supposed to be a white screen.

    Anyone else have an ugly yellow tinted screen?
  2. #2  
    Mellow yellow, much more yellow than my 700p, which was slightly redder than my 650 which had a blueish tint.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  3. brisk's Avatar
    Posts
    60 Posts
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    #3  
    how can you tell, to me it looks white, do you have a program that analyzes color or something?
  4.    #4  
    I opened PIE and went to this site:

    http://jasonfarrell.com/misc/deadpixeltest.php


    I also set PIE to full screen mode.
  5. #5  
    Do you have a screen protector on? That could change things...

    How about the brightness? At lowest? And at highest? That could change things...

    Without a screen protector and with the highest brightness, I have somewhat of a "mellow yellow" as well, if you are to compare it to the white of the lit thumbboard.

    -Oly
    -Proud Treo 750V (UMTS), 700WX (EVDO) and PPC-6700 (EVDO) owner on the go...

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/oly/sets/72157594244138528/" target="_blank">OLY's GADGET PHOTO BLOG</a
  6.    #6  
    I haven't put my Boxwave Cleartouch on yet. It still has the film on the screen that came with it. Brightness is at default (middle).
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    I opened PIE and went to this site:

    http://jasonfarrell.com/misc/deadpixeltest.php


    I also set PIE to full screen mode.
    Awesome site! Thanks for the link!! I have no dead pixels!! YAY!
    -Proud Treo 750V (UMTS), 700WX (EVDO) and PPC-6700 (EVDO) owner on the go...

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/oly/sets/72157594244138528/" target="_blank">OLY's GADGET PHOTO BLOG</a
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    I haven't put my Boxwave Cleartouch on yet. It still has the film on the screen that came with it. Brightness is at default (middle).
    I have that film on too, maybe that might be yellowing it a bit. I pulled at it half way and saw only little difference but still there was a difference (a bit more white).

    I have a martinfields screen protector on the way and those are as clear as the screen itself. I can't wait to get rid of that factory film...
    -Proud Treo 750V (UMTS), 700WX (EVDO) and PPC-6700 (EVDO) owner on the go...

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/oly/sets/72157594244138528/" target="_blank">OLY's GADGET PHOTO BLOG</a
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    I haven't put my Boxwave Cleartouch on yet. It still has the film on the screen that came with it. Brightness is at default (middle).
    hehe...I'm in the exact same boat! damn they take a long time to ship.

    anyways, mine is white as snow. keys don't squeak either.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  10.    #10  
    Hmmm... I may ask Palm for a re-ship. Then I'll compare the new one to the one I have now and then I'll keep whichever I like better.
  11. #11  
    These screen color differences (and keyboard backlight color differences) are very interesting to me - can't figure how they can vary so widely.
  12. bimmer10's Avatar
    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    #12  
    The yellowish tint is terrible, expecially when I have the Verizon 700w next to it with a nice crisp white screen. I will contact Sprint for a replacement.
  13. brisk's Avatar
    Posts
    60 Posts
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    #13  
    i wonder how this yellowish tint looks like....

    best visit a verizon and sprint store to compare.
  14. #14  
    Here's a side-by-side pic. Both are Sprint wx's. One on left has a 'white' screen, while the wx on the right has the yellowish cast to it. I can tell you that the difference is much more noticable in the flesh. Also note that the keypad/buttons on the 'yellow' wx are brighter than those on the 'white' phone. Who does Palm's QC...monkeys?

    I bought the 'white' phone from a Sprint store. Ol' Yeller came from Palm. I bought it thru the developer site for $549 and had planned to return the other to Sprint and save a few $$.

    It's enough of a difference (to me, anyway) that I'll forgo the savings and keep the whiter display.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by fgkay View Post
    Here's a side-by-side pic.
    Is the treo to the right of the picture badged without the palm logo? Or is it just the lighting of the picture?
    -Proud Treo 750V (UMTS), 700WX (EVDO) and PPC-6700 (EVDO) owner on the go...

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/oly/sets/72157594244138528/" target="_blank">OLY's GADGET PHOTO BLOG</a
  16. #16  
    Wow that's quite a difference. Mine is like the one on right. Now that I know they are not all like that, it's definitely going back.

    Quote Originally Posted by fgkay View Post
    Here's a side-by-side pic. Both are Sprint wx's. One on left has a 'white' screen, while the wx on the right has the yellowish cast to it. I can tell you that the difference is much more noticable in the flesh. Also note that the keypad/buttons on the 'yellow' wx are brighter than those on the 'white' phone. Who does Palm's QC...monkeys?

    I bought the 'white' phone from a Sprint store. Ol' Yeller came from Palm. I bought it thru the developer site for $549 and had planned to return the other to Sprint and save a few $$.

    It's enough of a difference (to me, anyway) that I'll forgo the savings and keep the whiter display.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  17. #17  
    Here is a comparison with the PPC-6700. Notice the PPC has a slightly cold blue tint, and the wx has a "warmer" tint. At any rate, I like the Treo screen better.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  18. #18  
    Another data point. I have a 700w and 700wx side by side. The 700w is pure white and the 700wx has a slight yellow tint. Both have the brightness full on.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by olywogle View Post
    Is the treo to the right of the picture badged without the palm logo? Or is it just the lighting of the picture?
    Just the lighting. Both the same and both with the same brightness setting.
    Last edited by fgkay; 09/12/2006 at 09:11 PM.

Posting Permissions