1.    #1  
    has anyone seen there treo dim all the way down for no reason. this has happened to me a few times. out of no where my backlight will go all the way down to one step from the lowest. i go to turn it back up and about 60 seconds later it does it agian.
    i know all about the backlight settings i this is NOT a settings issue. this will happen while i am using the phone when the setting is set for 1 minute for auto dim. this means 1 minute with no key press. i am actually pressing keys when it dims. i have two wx's and it has done this at least once on both units. the only way to overcome this is a reset. i'm not running any fancy 3rd party programs that would conflict. in fact the programs are all very popular programs i ran for 6 months on my ppc6700.
    the only thing i can tie it to is if (sometimes) i press the red key to turn phone on and then press it agian real fast i goes into some kind of wierd dimming mode.

someone test this for me. by hitting the red key turn the phone and with in 1 second turn it of. off on off on for like 10 times. i know this isn't normal but it shouldn't mess things up. i have never done this until now. i was just tring to recreate the problem. i was able to do it agian with about 5 on / off's.

thanks, cody
    I haven't had an issue yet, but I do know my 6700 did it ALL THE TIME. It was so irritating. The screen would dim, and the backlight timeout settings would keep reverting back to 30 seconds (even without Phone Alarm, etc installed).

I chalked it up as a WM5 thing.
  3.    #3  
    that's weird. i never had any back light issues with my 6700, and now im the only one with it on the wx.
    There is a shortcut for dimming treo backlight : ALT + RIGHT SHIFT
    I dont know if you have press these two buttons accidentally
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    has anyone seen there treo dim all the way down for no reason. this has happened to me a few times. out of no where my backlight will go all the way down to one step from the lowest. i go to turn it back up and about 60 seconds later it does it agian.
    i know all about the backlight settings i this is NOT a settings issue. this will happen while i am using the phone when the setting is set for 1 minute for auto dim. this means 1 minute with no key press. i am actually pressing keys when it dims. i have two wx's and it has done this at least once on both units. the only way to overcome this is a reset. i'm not running any fancy 3rd party programs that would conflict. in fact the programs are all very popular programs i ran for 6 months on my ppc6700.
    the only thing i can tie it to is if (sometimes) i press the red key to turn phone on and then press it agian real fast i goes into some kind of wierd dimming mode.

someone test this for me. by hitting the red key turn the phone and with in 1 second turn it of. off on off on for like 10 times. i know this isn't normal but it shouldn't mess things up. i have never done this until now. i was just tring to recreate the problem. i was able to do it agian with about 5 on / off's.

thanks, cody
    I've had this many times (at least a couple dozen). A soft reset always fixes it for me.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt View Post
    I've had this many times (at least a couple dozen). A soft reset always fixes it for me.
    yur saying ths has happened to you a couple of dozen times on the 700wx? wow thats a lot since the phone has only been out for a week. or is this with the 700w and not the wx? if it was the wx, that means that the soft reset it just a temp fix then.

thanks, cody
    Has anyone figured out how to fix this issue? My 700wx started having this issue few weeks ago and I can't seem to find a fix (soft reset won't fix). No matter what the setting is in Backlight, my device will dim after 3-5 seconds.

Can anyone help? Am I the only experiencing this issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by esatyawan View Post
    There is a shortcut for dimming treo backlight : ALT + RIGHT SHIFT
    I dont know if you have press these two buttons accidentally
    This worked on my 700p, but not on my wx.
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    yur saying ths has happened to you a couple of dozen times on the 700wx? wow thats a lot since the phone has only been out for a week. or is this with the 700w and not the wx? if it was the wx, that means that the soft reset it just a temp fix then.

thanks, cody
    on the w
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Thank you! For a second there I thought I was going crazy. Yes, this dimming thing happens to me all the time. It automatically dim down and the only way to get it back up is to go into settings. It is very frustrating especially when I am driving in the daytime. And yes, I have had to do a hard-reset twice, no fix.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Has anyone figured this out yet? Mine keeps dimming after exactly 8 seconds and I can't figure out how to get it to stop doing that.
    Former owner of... Kyocera 7135, Samsung SCH-i730...

Current owner of... Treo 700w
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Okay. I finally figured out the issue after exploring the registry a bit.

I found the following key:

/HKCU/ControlPanel/Backlight/BatteryTimeout

It was set to DWORD value of 7.

At first I just tried to reset that to a higher number, like 30. And it would work. But after my phone went to sleep and I woke it up, the setting always went back to 7.

So then I deleted the key altogether... and voila! No more weird backlight dimming. :-)

UPDATE: it looks like everytime I go back into the "Backlight" configuration screen in the Settings, that key gets written again. BUT if I don't go into it, the key won't get written.
    Last edited by ThaiBruin; 05/18/2007 at 11:56 AM.
    Former owner of... Kyocera 7135, Samsung SCH-i730...

Current owner of... Treo 700w