Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I received my Treo 700wx when I got home from work tonight, and quickly set it up. I put all my contacts, calendar, memos, and tasks on it and a few apps. I easily setup my mail accounts, including my .mac mail. I have it set to check for new mail every 5 minutes, I did set it first to every 1 minute since I am a chatter addict. I went out, and for the first time left my Palm OS Treo home and relied on my Windows Mobile Treo. I love this thing!!! For the first time I can honestly say that a Windows Mobile device is actually quicker than my Palm OS Treo. I know that the 700p is in need of a firmware upgrade to fix the bugs, but the 700wx just flies, even with multitasking. I just downloaded Opera, and Netfront to see how it compares to IE. I find that my 700p connects faster when I open up a web page. It's a little annoying seeing that screen comes up telling me it's connecting to Sprint dialing #777. The good news is I get faster speeds with the 700wx usually around 450 kbps, my 700p gets around 300 - 400kbps.

I've got to thank all the great people here at treocentral for helping this die hard palm os user get comfortable with the 700wx, and even help me out. It's awesome that we can help eachother out and help people figure what's the best device for them.

I LOVE my 700wx, After using the past few hours I know what phone is comping to work with me tomorrow, the 700wx. Palm and Windows Mobile did an amazing job with this device. I thought I might try it for 2 weeks and possibly return it. It's going no where, that's how happy I am with it.

I'd like to thank Cody for some great tips he's given me.

If you are thiking about a 700wx, but heard bad things about the 700w, no need to even think about it, they are 2 different machines. I was at a Verizon store tonight and the workers there asked if they could try out my 700wx, and they coulnd't beleive how much better it was than their 700w. They said they've heard Verizon might get the 700wx if enough customers request it.

Awesome phone!!! Thanks guys!!
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    To get rid of that annoying popup windows when dialing a data connection go to Start/Settings/Sounds and Notifications/Notifications. In the drop down Event box choose Connection established. Uncheck the box that says Display message on screen. You will no longer be bothered with the annoying popup.
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
    Quote Originally Posted by smeg36 View Post
    To get rid of that annoying popup windows when dialing a data connection go to Start/Settings/Sounds and Notifications/Notifications. In the drop down Event box choose Connection established. Uncheck the box that says Display message on screen. You will no longer be bothered with the annoying popup.
    Dude, this has been the most annoying thing to be on the wx; THANK YOU!!!!
    Thanks for the tidbit. That pop-up window was so annoying.
    I would IMMEDIATELY start the process of obtaining an email sync service. Checking fr email every 5 minutes is a BIG waste of battery. What kind of email do you have? Ifyou can fwd your mail, get a free exchange account and get the ball rolling! You think your phone is great now, wait until you have exchange set up!

I went to the Sprint store to buy the wx. The rep programed my phone, gave it to me, and while she was scanning my credit card I waited for vision services to set up, configured my exchange account while it completed, and had all of my contacts/notes/emal etc by the time the phone was paid for. How much easier could it be?
  6.    #6  
    how should I do this? I use .mac, g,ail, and aol. I figured I was probably doing something worng/ Can you tell me how to set this up? Thnaks in advance.
    Jimmie Geddes
    check mail2web for the free one or what I use, 4smartphone.net

4smartphone is probably my most valuable program.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks Cody, I am setting up mail2web as we speak. I'll check out 4smartphone.net. Will using these save battery life instead of checking every few minutes? I never had a problem with chatter and battery life.

I can't get over how much faster this 700wx is compared to my 700p, in terms of opening things up and internet. I just did a dsl mobile speed test at work on a 1mb file and it came in at 1016 kbit/sec
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    what are the main differences bwteen the wx and the p?

did you get the sms fixed so it works like the palm (threads)?

my 700p is horrible, it crashes every day several times a day.
  10.    #10  
    I am using SMS threader, it's the closest thing to the Palm OS threaded messaging app. It's threaded, and I'm liking it.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    Thanks Cody, I am setting up mail2web as we speak. I'll check out 4smartphone.net. Will using these save battery life instead of checking every few minutes? I never had a problem with chatter and battery life.

I can't get over how much faster this 700wx is compared to my 700p, in terms of opening things up and internet. I just did a dsl mobile speed test at work on a 1mb file and it came in at 1016 kbit/sec
    Gotta love the Sprint EV-DO. I must say that I find I have EV-DO in many more places than I did with VZW. I thought for sure it would be the opposite.

Exchange def saves battery life over manual fetching, and it is so much faster. I'm not only talking about faster to receive your emails; the sync process is activesync based, so it knows exactly what to send and what not to bother syncing until changes are made. Pocket outlook has to connect, authenticate, scan your messages, etc every time you connect.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    is anything better on the 700p than he wx?
    Quote Originally Posted by evperry View Post
    Threaded SMS!

I always felt programs loaded faster w/palm OS. Express loaded instantly, where "on demand" on the 700w takes forever.

The shortcuts to launch programs were very valuable on the palm os. I have worked around it to an extent, but I do miss it.
    Quote Originally Posted by evperry View Post
    Yeah, the 700p is better at freezing and resetting.

Seriously, the only thing I miss on it is the voice memo, and that's only because it's not in this version. I only used it a few times but it was nice to know it was there.

I forgot to mention threaded sms also. I REALLY miss that.

Jimmie, glad you got your device. I'd be interested in your review in a couple of days.

My battery has been wiping out only because I've been setting up my exchange and tweaking it over the last couple of days. Today is the first day where I will really see the battery life at work. I use a Seidio 2400mah battery as well.

My thinking is that it should save on battery power if the server is only pushing when new things come in, or if you make changes to your contacts, calendar, etc. If you're making a LOT of changes though, you could use up more battery power only because it's sending every change to the server which wasn't done if you didn't have that before on the 700p.

I like that you can set the server to sleep at a certain period of the day. Mine takes a rest from 12am-8am while I'm resting.
    The Treo 650 was the first Palm device that I had used. I did like it very much. But, the 700wx is fantastic! I have been able to do so much more with it than my 650. I hope Palm keeps on track and delivers an even more awesome 800 next year.
    Re: Battery Life and Exchange, I was curious about that. Basically which is better for low-volume email:

Push/As Items Arrive

vs

Every 15 mins sync

Any feedback would be great as I'm not sure!

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I am using SMS threader, it's the closest thing to the Palm OS threaded messaging app. It's threaded, and I'm liking it.
    Where did you get "SMS Threader"?
    Quote Originally Posted by lawilson2 View Post
    Seriously, the only thing I miss on it is the voice memo, and that's only because it's not in this version. I only used it a few times but it was nice to know it was there.
    You can record voice memos in the Notes program on the 700 series. Just open up Notes, go to Menu..View Recording Toolbar.
  20.    #20  
    I also am using me 2400 seidio battery and battery life is fine. The threaded sms app I found is called sms threader

http://www.trianglepowers.com/ppc6700/Default.aspx
    Jimmie Geddes
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast