Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I am thinking and thinking hard about getting 700wx (currently I'm using 700p). Do you know any program that would let you do what petitlaunch let you do with palm. it's a command line launcher, I set up all my program so when I want to launch my calculator all I have to do is press "calendar" button then hit
    "c". I would love to have ability to go to any program from anywhere within at most 3 click of any buttons.

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    Where did you get "SMS Threader"?
    You can download it from http://www.trianglepowers.com/ppc6700/
    Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yuyjust View Post
    I am thinking and thinking hard about getting 700wx (currently I'm using 700p). Do you know any program that would let you do what petitlaunch let you do with palm. it's a command line launcher, I set up all my program so when I want to launch my calculator all I have to do is press "calendar" button then hit
    "c". I would love to have ability to go to any program from anywhere within at most 3 click of any buttons.

thanks
    AE Button Plus allows you to remap the hard device keys and included 1 press, 2 presses, or press and hold. I don't have a 700wx to use it on, but it works fine on my 6700. You can map each key to any program you want.

http://ae.inc.ru/aebplus.php
    Thanks for all the feedback!!!! I'm currently a 700P user, but after hearing all the awesome things about the 700WX, I just ordered mine I will be getting it tomorrow and returning the 700P over the weekend. We'll see what this monster can do!
    I wonder how many 700p's will go up for sale now?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho View Post
    I wonder how many 700p's will go up for sale now?
    Good question. For the casual user, probably quite a few.

For the hardcore PalmOS users...pride will stand in the way and not many.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I have to disagree with the pride comment. My 700p just works better for most things than the 700wx.

If someone prefers the 700wx, great no problem. It certainly is a much better multitasker. But I don't need slingbox or skype. I need fast and easy PIM access, web browsing, email, etc.. The 700wx is certainly an improvement but it doesn't "blow away" the 700p by any means. My 700p does bluetooth dun, works with the bluetooth in car, and several other functions much better than the 700wx.

Not trying to start a flame, the 700wx is a very good device. Possibly the best WM5 currently. But after a couple of days, I'm not seeing a good reason to switch to it yet other than better multitasking and a slightly better web display in PIE. In other areas it's still not as functional as the 700p.

Just my opinion...
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by yuyjust View Post

thanks
    The post by Katahdin has a link that in the Pocket PC section has a command line utility. I don't know if it will do what your looking for. Just thought I'd post it.

Best,
    Ryan
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    I have to disagree with the pride comment. My 700p just works better for most things than the 700wx.
    Oh, I wasn't talking about you. lol

In all seriousness, what I meant was that some hardcore users of Palm OS who are unhappy with the 700p (those having issues) will stick with it and not even try a WM5 device on principal...

Has nothing to do with whether the 700wx is better/worse than a 700p. I never said that and don't claim it.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Oh, I wasn't talking about you. lol

In all seriousness, what I meant was that some hardcore users of Palm OS who are unhappy with the 700p (those having issues) will stick with it and not even try a WM5 device on principal...

Has nothing to do with whether the 700wx is better/worse than a 700p. I never said that and don't claim it.
    I agree some will resist on principle. I have been a POS user for 6 years now, tried the 6700 earlier this year and hated it, and will give the wx a try IF WM has an answer for SplashMoney and IF FlexMail will really make me forget Chatter.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by evperry View Post
    is anything better on the 700p than he wx?
    The 700p supports Picturemail (MMS), the 700wx does not. Sucks for those of us that want a 700wx and already have a picturemail account that we won't be able to do anything with on a 700wx.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    I agree some will resist on principle. I have been a POS user for 6 years now, tried the 6700 earlier this year and hated it, and will give the wx a try IF WM has an answer for SplashMoney and IF FlexMail will really make me forget Chatter.
    Well, I posted in another thread that SplashData is considering porting over SplashMoney to WM5 and you can express that interest via an email link on their FAQ section. So if enough people want it, it'll happen (they already have 3 other ports of Splash programs completed).

Flexmail is nice but it's not a chatter clone or replacement so I wouldn't get your hopes up. Functionally, it could do the same. Aesthetically, it's very different.

Quote Originally Posted by evperry View Post
    is anything better on the 700p than he wx?
    Based on my experience with the 6700:

1.Chatter
    2.Splash Money
    3.Easier to use PIM apps
    4.Not suffering from the card going to "sleep"
    5.Not having to investigate mysterious slowdowns on the device after a month of usage
    6.No missed alarms because the pig didn't wake up.
    7.Not nearly as many unexplained "dark screens".

There are more. Hopefully most of these 6700 issues are fixed in the 700wx.
    Numbers 4 and 6 would make me return the wx the day I get it. Can someone confirm is this is fixed? To clarify: on my 6700, apps that were running from the card were closed after a few minutes of inactivity. Sure takes all the fun out of multi-tasking. I told myself it was a mini-SD and HTC issue, and that the eventual Sprint WM Treo would use SD and wouldn't have this issue. Does it?
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  14.    #34  
    I'm a die hard Palm OS fan, I tried the 6700 and Q and returned both. The 700wx is really making me consider going to the dark side, it's pretty bright here.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    Thanks Cody, I am setting up mail2web as we speak. I'll check out 4smartphone.net. Will using these save battery life instead of checking every few minutes? I never had a problem with chatter and battery life.

I can't get over how much faster this 700wx is compared to my 700p, in terms of opening things up and internet. I just did a dsl mobile speed test at work on a 1mb file and it came in at 1016 kbit/sec
    I am also a diehard Chatter user - will you miss Chatter with the 700xw? Also, I am a DIE hard Agendus user as well - what are you using for PIM app - Agenda Fusion?
    You got me thinking of ditching my 700p (verizon)

Thanks!
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Good question. For the casual user, probably quite a few.

For the hardcore PalmOS users...pride will stand in the way and not many.
    At this point, the only reason I would consider the 700wx is for the wifi card support.

I personally like the way the POS looks and how it acts.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

17.    #37  
    I also like the simplicity, and UI of the Palm OS, but Windows Mobile can do so much more. I didn't like the "more" on the 6700, or the Q, but maybe because Palm put their special touches on the 700wx it works for me.

The wifi card support is a very nice thing and I plan on getting one soon. I thought I was seeing things when I saw dsl reports report 1016 kbit/sec this morning. I haven't gotten that fast again, but it is definitely faster speeds than my 700p. I'm a chatter addict and also rely on agendus. I've only had the 700wx for a day and have outlook fetching my mail, and I've just been using the builtin calendar. I did install styletap so I could use agendus, and it works fine. Chatter is one, if not the best Palm OS app, I think Marc would make a killing by porting it to Windows Mobile. If you need push email, like chatter, you've got many options with Windows Mobile.

I also can tell you that battery life (for me) is the same as it is with my 700p, I am using the seidio 2400 battery.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I am glad you got the WX, but I would be interested in how things are going with it in a couple of weeks or so and so on...devices always seem to be great out of the box with all the excitement until reality bites. Not saying there will be a reality bite, but only time will tell.
    at&t iPhone3G
    screw it...stopped by the sprint store to pick one up.....i have the Q and the WX on the table side-by-side (i've owned all the Treos except the 700p).....slim still intrigues me, the Q is so much nicer in pocket....putting the thing thru its paces, shouldn't be any different given the Q's available memory being almost the same. will know more once loading Goodlink onto this puppy....30 day trial is nice, can't wait to see if Sprint's phone coverage is improved since my last account with them (couple of years now, t600). the data/phone savings (versus VZ) are nice too, but fortunately for me i'm able to expense these. customer service was adequate at the store, and because of it's location, it was empty. can you believe that? an empty Sprint store in the middle of a very busy retail district in town. they had 4 phones left, received their first shipment yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Based on my experience with the 6700:

1.Chatter
    2.Splash Money
    3.Easier to use PIM apps
    4.Not suffering from the card going to "sleep"
    5.Not having to investigate mysterious slowdowns on the device after a month of usage
    6.No missed alarms because the pig didn't wake up.
    7.Not nearly as many unexplained "dark screens".
    That's strange about running programs off of the card and having them shut down automatically. I've used the 6700 since the day it came out and never experienced that so I'm wondering if that can be chalked up to othe reasons like tweaks (on my end or yours), specific software or something else. I have seen the DSOD though, related to certain programs on the card (or moving .dlls over).

So far from my experience and what people are saying around here: 4 --> 7 do not happen on this device. Maybe others can confirm/deny.

Interesting thing here is that I have actually yet to put any programs on the SD card. Simply put: it's not necessary since there is so much storage space (it has on average about 20mb more of storage space than the 6700). I currently have between 25 and 30 programs installed (including Skype, Sling and Opera) and still have 20mb of space left (I do also use UPX4PPC to shrink files since it makes them run even faster and saves space--still that's a lot of room left).

I'll end up just using my SD card for backup and media storage, which is the way it should be.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast