Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 92
  1.    #1  
    Any thoughts on when we might see this device? prefer it to be POS than WM5.
  2. #2  
    From what I've been seeing on this forum, it will be the WM5 one. Vodafone has it now and Cingular is supposed to get it. I think Palm just gave us the 700p to throw us a bone, but basically they are no longer supporting their own OS.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3. #3  
    I am sooooo waiting for September 12's announcement by Vodafone and Palm.

    I hope we'll have Palm announcing the unlocked version for direct sale, but I would guess they won't offer the unlocked version to us it before Cingular's launch of the 750.

    I'm at the point where I'm looking at the HTC Universal or the TyTN as a possibility. I need Exchange Server sync.
  4.    #4  
    I'm also looking closely at the Tytn. it looks fantastic, but I will miss the 650 screen resolution and one handed keyboard. also the POS Phone app (there isn't a T9 phone app on the Tytn).

    I recently saw a VGA PDA - now THAT SCREEN RESOLUTION is what I want.
  5. TazUk's Avatar
    Posts
    689 Posts
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    ...but basically they are no longer supporting their own OS. [/COLOR]
    Well it's not their own OS and hasn't been for a long while

    People have been writing PalmOS's obituary for a very long time and yet it's still here
  6. #6  
    If Palm slowly phases it out, it's basically on it's last legs. And it certainly looks that way to me. Only one Palm OS phone, all others are WM5. And Palm is the only one supporting the Palm OS, others moved on to WM or Symbian. Access doesn't seem to be moving it's **** on the supposed Cobalt release either! And is Palm lighting a fire under their feet? Haven't seen anything that indicates Palm is even interested in Cobalt anymore. The OS that started with Palm seems to be ending with Palm.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7. TazUk's Avatar
    Posts
    689 Posts
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Only one Palm OS phone, all others are WM5.
    So far, but Palm haven't finished releasing their new products.

    Haven't seen anything that indicates Palm is even interested in Cobalt anymore.
    Cobalt was scrapped a long time ago, what Access/Palm Source are working on now is a Linux based OS called ALP. Palm themselves are rumoured to be working on their own Linux based OS. Either way we won't see a finished product until at least next year.

    The only other company, apart from Palm themselves, who used PalmOS were Sony. There are other licensees such as Kyocera, LG and Samsung but none of those really committed to PalmOS.
  8. #8  
    Having not read alot on this forum lately this question may have been answered. When is Cingular releasing the 750?
  9. #9  
    I would love an unlocked 750, but I'm doubting that will happen anytime soon. Vodaphone is know for locking and modifying their phones, an unlocked one would reduce their ability to move customers to them. Also Cingular isn't known as being the most unlocked friendly either. I suspect we might see an unlocked but not until after vodaphone and cingular have had theirs out for a while.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  10. #10  
    Palm would rather be a phone manufacturer (like Nokia) than a software programmer (like microsoft). I think palm would let microsoft to be in their hardware heart and focus on the marketing of a smartphone device.

    Steve Jobs of Apple also stop fighting with microsoft, they even use boot camp (to boot windows xp) as a bait to their windows customers to get a new Macbook notebook. Those customers will have nothing to lose buying a macbook notebook .. Consider this: they are buying a good finish notebook with Apple OS for free in it at a very reasonable price.

    I think palm need to pay more attention on GSM market than CDMA oriented in their marketing strategy (which currently they are doing now with 750)

    BTW,I have bought TYTN, still love my 650 better
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy View Post
    I'm also looking closely at the Tytn. it looks fantastic, but I will miss the 650 screen resolution and one handed keyboard. also the POS Phone app (there isn't a T9 phone app on the Tytn).

    I recently saw a VGA PDA - now THAT SCREEN RESOLUTION is what I want.
    there is t9 on the tytn

    i dunno if it comes with the tytn, but there was something called smartdialer which acted like t9 to get contacts
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    If Palm slowly phases it out, it's basically on it's last legs. And it certainly looks that way to me. Only one Palm OS phone, all others are WM5. And Palm is the only one supporting the Palm OS, others moved on to WM or Symbian. Access doesn't seem to be moving it's **** on the supposed Cobalt release either! And is Palm lighting a fire under their feet? Haven't seen anything that indicates Palm is even interested in Cobalt anymore. The OS that started with Palm seems to be ending with Palm.

    i agree. it is sad that the company that started it all, palm, is no longer, my two cents, the leader in os innovation. many people say that wm is too this and that, but at the end of the day, if you customize and hack the software to your liking the wm runs circles around the pos. i used to love the pos but it lacks support and something new and fresh.
    Naveen

    Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

    Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy View Post
    Any thoughts on when we might see this device? prefer it to be POS than WM5.
    Yes, I have thoughts. You will not like them. Septimus is already looking for an excuse to bar me.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God View Post
    i agree. it is sad that the company that started it all, palm, is no longer, my two cents, the leader in os innovation. many people say that wm is too this and that, but at the end of the day, if you customize and hack the software to your liking the wm runs circles around the pos. i used to love the pos but it lacks support and something new and fresh.
    Replacing all my apps with MSWM apps would cost more than the phone. Why would anyone want to do that?
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by esatyawan View Post
    Palm would rather be a phone manufacturer (like Nokia) than a software programmer (like microsoft). I think palm would let microsoft to be in their hardware heart and focus on the marketing of a smartphone device.

    Steve Jobs of Apple also stop fighting with microsoft, they even use boot camp (to boot windows xp) as a bait to their windows customers to get a new Macbook notebook. Those customers will have nothing to lose buying a macbook notebook .. Consider this: they are buying a good finish notebook with Apple OS for free in it at a very reasonable price.

    I think palm need to pay more attention on GSM market than CDMA oriented in their marketing strategy (which currently they are doing now with 750
    BTW,I have bought TYTN, still love my 650 better
    There are more than 2 billion GSM users. They account for more than 80% of the mobile market. Instead of courting them, Palm fragments the CDMA market. Go figure.
  16. #16  
    I think Palm is more focused on the US, where there are more CDMA users. But if they want to go worldwide, it's time for the GSM and UMTS!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Replacing all my apps with MSWM apps would cost more than the phone. Why would anyone want to do that?

    More than the phones? How many apps do you need?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  18. #18  
    Lots because most of the included ones stink! I've tried them before and I'm trying a Sprint 700wx right now. Compared to my 700p here's what I think:

    700wx: Better multitasking
    700p: Better bluetooth, includes bluetooth dun and works more consistently with my car
    WM5 apps:
    Calendar: Neanderthal, Palm OS calendar embarrasses it
    Messaging: I think it's fairly primitive, you can't even set a schedule for auto retrieval (like which hours and which days). You can't delete a message and leave it on the server. Versamail which is included free does both.
    OS functions: I can't even reformat an SD card? I've looked high and low, tried File Explorer, etc.. Can only delete files, not format a card. Great.
    Multimedia: Let's play an MP4 file. What Windows Media doesn't do that?

    I could go on. The only app that seems passable is IE. It does in many cases a better a job than Blazer, but I wish it would work one-handed better. I really wish it could scroll like Blazer (up, down, scrolls a page, left, right selects links). I tried PIEplus and it can scroll by page but I couldn't find anyway to select links.

    WM5 is clearly a better multitasker than Palm OS, but on the 700p here's just better functionality by default along with a much better UI and a better higher res screen.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  19. #19  
    Software for that costs more than the phones? About $100 at the most!

    Funny, my WM5 calender works fine though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  20. #20  
    i must admit datebk5 (and/or 6) really spoiled me...and yeah the calendar on WM devices compared to the native POS one is terrible...however at least i can set my appointments down to the minute (i think on the 650 you couldnt do that, i dunno if they fixed that on the 700p)

    But for WM...take the native calendar (if you want) or get pocket informant...and especially pocket breeze and you'll be sailing
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions