Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I think you are missing the key word - More Powerful. WM is more powerful than POS. And if its power that you want ease of use takes a back seat.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I think you are missing the key word - More Powerful. WM is more powerful than POS. And if its power that you want ease of use takes a back seat.

Surur
    That is a big "if." I do not understand the idea of "power" in an operating system that does not lead to greater useability.
    You said it! I love when Microsoft's products get slammed for usability, someone always comes back that they are more powerful. What is that exactly? They run faster than other software on the same hardware? I don't think so.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    You said it! I love when Microsoft's products get slammed for usability, someone always comes back that they are more powerful. What is that exactly? They run faster than other software on the same hardware? I don't think so.
    Power = can do more

e.g. can do USB host, or can do multiple network connections at the same time, or has protected memory, or provide better development environment, or offers more features etc.

A scooter and an SUV can both get you from A to B, and maybe in some environments the scooter may be faster (e.g. city) but when you need to get to the top of a hill fast you need the power of a big engine. Same thing.

Surur
    Depends on what you mean by more. Out of the box my 700p has bluetooth dun, threaded sms, etc...

It doesn't do slingbox streaming. It doesn't do skype. But I don't care about those functions. So I think I can reasonably argue that for a phone/pda, the Palm OS Treo does more. It must be more powerful then right?
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Power = can do more

e.g. can do USB host, or can do multiple network connections at the same time, or has protected memory, or provide better development environment, or offers more features etc.

A scooter and an SUV can both get you from A to B, and maybe in some environments the scooter may be faster (e.g. city) but when you need to get to the top of a hill fast you need the power of a big engine. Same thing.

Surur
    An apt analogy. It is the engine, i.e., the processor, that gets one to the top of the hilll. The same engine will get me to the top more quickly in a sedan than in an SUV. The SUV is, like WM, weight and a bunch of gratuitous features and functions that have almost nothing to do with climbing the hill.
    Last edited by whmurray; 09/11/2006 at 03:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Depends on what you mean by more. Out of the box my 700p has bluetooth dun, threaded sms, etc...

It doesn't do slingbox streaming. It doesn't do skype. But I don't care about those functions. So I think I can reasonably argue that for a phone/pda, the Palm OS Treo does more. It must be more powerful then right?
    One cant really argue specific implementations of the OS, e.g. the Treo 700p has 3G while the HTC Wizard has not. One has to look at the OS independent of the hardware its in. POS does not do threaded SMS, Palm POS does. WM does do bluetooth DUN, but its been disabled.

LT was talking about the OS's, not the specific hardware. The WM OS is more powerful than the POS. Ease of use is a separate issue.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Easier to use, but dismissed because it's "tired"? Ignoring what "tired" means to a bunch of software, aren't you just saying in other words "I know Windows is worse at the job I need it to do, but it's newer and shinier"???
    The one thing I don't like about WM is that you have to search for what you want. I installed a program to fix that, though. So it's no longer necessarily worse. And yes, I prefer updated software. I even get rid of old software on my laptop and go for newer versions. But that's just me.

I have to clarify that I was a long time Palm OS fan and and I hated WM. Until WM5, that is. I used it and went back to the Palm OS, but lost my enthusiasm for Palm OS. If Palm can ever get around to releasing 6.0, perhaps I'd come back.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 09/11/2006 at 07:52 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    An apt analogy. It is the engine, i.e., the processor, that gets one to the top of the hilll. The same engine will get me to the top more quickly in a sedan than in an SUV. The SUV is, like WM, weight and a bunch of gratuitous features and functions that have almost nothing to do with climbing the hill.

Wait a sec! I thought SUVs were partially built to help climb hills and terrain like that. At least that was part of the original purpose, before they somehow became status symbols.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Wait a sec! I thought SUVs were partially built to help climb hills and terrain like that. At least that was part of the original purpose, before they somehow became status symbols.
    The SUV will get more "stuff" to the top of the hill, particularly in low gear. However, most of us do not have a full load and are anxious to get to the top as soon as possible.
    A race car will drive a metaphor faster but a hammer will drive a nail deeper.
    Seriously, to me the Palm OS thing has simply become a case where there are some people who resist moving into the future. Those who reject electric typewriters for manual ones, those who swear by records over CDs, those who refuse to give up their carbuerated car for a fuel injected one. It isn't quite that extreme yet, but at the rate PalmOS is falling behind, it won't be long. PalmOS has its virtues, old tech always does. Old tech usually seems simpler than new tech, at least initially. PalmOS is old tech. I would love to see an updated version that retains the historical virtues of PalmOS while integrating new tech features, but I don't expect that to happen, especially not with such a large slavishly loyal PalmOS following who don't care that it is old tech. But anyway, the current version of PalmOS is like VCR in a world of DVD players. Sure, it has smoother slow motion and it plays immediately without time to load, but it's old tech.
    I can't believe I'm actually considering switching to a Windows Treo, but it seems to be where we are headed. Couldn't find anything on this particular question using the search... so here goes (even though it's probably an obvious question that must have been dealt with somewhere around here).

So... If one buys a WM Treo, can you get your old Palm os calendar and contact data over to the new Windoze device easily? (Of course this would be made even messier for me as I am a DateBK 5 user, so all that extra code will end up in the note fields, I guess).

Mark
    There is a serious difference between resisting the future and resisting mediocrity. If WM5 did everything "better" than great. But it doesn't.

Good:
    It does multitask well.
    I like PIE slightly better than Blazer. Better formatting of pages, worse bookmark organization

Even (Personal preference):
    Start menu. What genius thinks a small mobile device should try to mimick a desktop (and a poorly done UI desktop) OS.

Poor:
    The PIM apps suck. Period (although contact is OK). Seriously all they had to do was copy the Palm ones at a minimum and they come up with this junk?
    Mail app. OK, how do I set it to only retrieve mail during work hours on weekdays? That's right you can't. How do I delete messages on the Treo but leave them on the server? That's right you can't.

WN5 multitasks better and might have a better foundation/infrastructure. But that alone doesn't make it better.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDs10e View Post
    Seriously, to me the Palm OS thing has simply become a case where there are some people who resist moving into the future. Those who reject electric typewriters for manual ones, those who swear by records over CDs, those who refuse to give up their carbuerated car for a fuel injected one. It isn't quite that extreme yet, but at the rate PalmOS is falling behind, it won't be long. PalmOS has its virtues, old tech always does. Old tech usually seems simpler than new tech, at least initially. PalmOS is old tech. I would love to see an updated version that retains the historical virtues of PalmOS while integrating new tech features, but I don't expect that to happen, especially not with such a large slavishly loyal PalmOS following who don't care that it is old tech. But anyway, the current version of PalmOS is like VCR in a world of DVD players. Sure, it has smoother slow motion and it plays immediately without time to load, but it's old tech.
    so, should i give up on an antenna-less POS unlocked/unbranded gsm phone?

and once I do, will I be able to buy an antenna-less WM unlocked/unbranded gsm phone?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by mhzimmer View Post
    I can't believe I'm actually considering switching to a Windows Treo, but it seems to be where we are headed. Couldn't find anything on this particular question using the search... so here goes (even though it's probably an obvious question that must have been dealt with somewhere around here).

So... If one buys a WM Treo, can you get your old Palm os calendar and contact data over to the new Windoze device easily? (Of course this would be made even messier for me as I am a DateBK 5 user, so all that extra code will end up in the note fields, I guess).

Mark
    Do you use Outlook?
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    You're wrong. Yes you can set specific times to receive e-mail and yes you can delete e-mails from your device while keeping them on the server. First, I get my mail pushed via an Exchange server only during "peak times". I set my peak times to 8:00 am to 10 pm so I don't receive them at night. Second,when I delete my e-mail from my device I still have access to them online. All this for free! No Chatter, Snapper, or other paid e-mail program. It is included! Maybe you should try WM5 so you don't state it can't do something when it actually does.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Well, it is September 12 and, as rumored, Palm has made an announcement. It has simply reiterated what Vodafone announced two weeks ago.

So much for a Cingular announcement.

So much for a Nitro announcement.

So much for a POS announcement.

So much for any news.

It is so anti-climatic that TC is silent.

It still amazes me how Palm yanks its customer around and gets away with it.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    I thought the only anouncement expected today was the Vodafone/750v one
    They did reveal more details:

Dimensions, not as thin as thought (.88 inches).
    Does have bluetooth dun
    Does have quad-band GSM, tri-mode UMTS

I want one.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast