Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 92
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    PD - Actually there have been recent updates about Palm Access Linux here in the forums. I can't remember the exact details, but I think they were targeting a late 2006/early 2007 release. I don't know what that means in terms of seeing a new POS model from Palm. I agree that others manufacturers are beginning to bring some serious heat to the competition.

    Of the OS only? Or maybe on a new line of PDAs? Because they already released phones.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer View Post
    I really really love my T650, but it is so quickly being overtaken by the wealth of WM smartphones. I love POS and have a huge monetary committment in POS programs, but come on Palm, throw us GSMers a bone here.

    I keep reading about stuff like this SUPER thin S620c HTC gem coming out in Oct, and my feets are getting mightly restless........




    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/09..._htc_handsets/
    Thanks for the link. The little smartphone looks good!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Surely by 2008, what Palm does will be irrelevant. If they continue step-by-step down their present path, there will be a new leader in the market. If there is no new home for Palm applications before 2008, there will be no new applications. As MS has done in so many other markets, they will take over this market too. (MS's success does not rely upon the quality of their design but on the quantity of their instances.) The hardware will become an afterthought. People buy solutions, not hardware, not software. Palm does not get it (anymore).

    Exactly!
    Win Saturation.
    More and More PDA/Phones Running MS.

    And whether Palm has something big going on behind the scenes won't make much difference as long as they keep it quiet.
    For me it seems that MS lets us know what's coming so we prepare for it.
    Just call me Berd.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    Exactly. I am a big fan of the Palm OS because it is easy to use. I have an unlocked GSM 650.................
    What will save Palm? Well, an iPod-like "Hail Mary" phenomenon would do it. Probability? Low. What else? I don't know........And I also think that time is dissipating Palm's goodwill amongst its customers. We're fickle..............
    I disagree. I think the fact that there is a GSM customer left is testimony to our loyalty. Palm has dumped on us at every opportunity and we are still here, still hoping.

    However, if one likes Palm hardware, one has to be a CDMA/EVDO/WM customer. That leaves GSM customers with the 650; Since Cingular seems to be stuck on EDGE, there is no other competition (Nitro?) worth moving to.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    I disagree. I think the fact that there is a GSM customer left is testimony to our loyalty. Palm has dumped on us at every opportunity and we are still here, still hoping.

    However, if one likes Palm hardware, one has to be a CDMA/EVDO/WM customer. That leaves GSM customers with the 650; Since Cingular seems to be stuck on EDGE, there is no other competition (Nitro?) worth moving to.
    Maybe then it's just my grumpiness of being a GSM customer and being completely ignored.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    Maybe then it's just my grumpiness of being a GSM customer and being completely ignored.
    Cheer Up!
    You were able to afford to get a new fridge.
    Just call me Berd.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    Maybe then it's just my grumpiness of being a GSM customer and being completely ignored.
    I wish that I thought that it was benign neglect; I think that they are out to get us.
  8. #48  
    That HTC s620 looks good (or rather SOUNDS good, it looks just ok). But no 3G, no sale.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDs10e View Post
    That HTC s620 looks good (or rather SOUNDS good, it looks just ok). But no 3G, no sale.
    If 3G is your concern, CDMA is your answer. Until Cingular commits to UMTS, (I just searched their site for an offering of, or even a position on, UMTS and find them silent) what Palm does, does not count for much.

    US, GSM, 3G, and POS is an empty set. Yes, I know that LT?Diva will say, "four new models."
  10. #50  
    It is.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    I wish that I thought that it was benign neglect; I think that they are out to get us.
    Recent comments, attributed to Palm's Ed Colligan, suggest that the strategy of ignoring GSM is starting to pinch. Palm missed its numbers for the quarter and is blaming it on its carrier partners.

    ""We will soon address the market dynamics responsible for our first quarter revenue shortfall with two major product launches, one that improves our pricing position and both which extend our carrier relationships to global markets."

    Read, GSM. I have been trying to tell him that since the announcement of the 600. I suppose that late is better than never. However, in this case, I fear that late is too late.

    "I think you’ll also find [with] the Q enormous return rates, people that are disappointed with its usability. The only thing we can do is focus on what we do best, which is simple, fast, reliable products that people love to use. Treo users are a real dedicated bunch. If you talk to them, they will tell you why they would rather carry our products than those."

    Read, Palm OS. Why is this so hard? TC is open to him; few CEOs have a better view of what their customers think. Has anyone seen a single report from someone who changed from POS to WM who thinks that WM is easier to use than POS?
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Read, Palm OS. Why is this so hard? TC is open to him; few CEOs have a better view of what their customers think. Has anyone seen a single report from someone who changed from POS to WM who thinks that WM is easier to use than POS?
    I often wonder whether Palm executives read TC. The above comment is sooooo correct.

    And if Palm executives are lurking, they're only getting half of the picture.

    If Palm actually participated here at TC (geez, could someone spell www.cluetrain.com for them?) I personally believe that in 8 quarters they'd be blowing the doors off of everyone else's jalopies.

    GoodGuy's participation in this community has, I would guess, markedly helped Good in the Treo community. (Palm executive's response inside his head as he's reading this, "Oh, but our case is different.")

    Marc Blank's participation in this community has made Chatteremail the gold standard. (Palm executive's response inside his head as he's reading this, "Oh, but our case is different.")

    Invitation to Palm: Join in here. Talk to us. Don't lurk. We really, really care about your products. We don't bite. We'll tell you the truth and back it up with the only vote that matters -- our wallets.
  13. #53  
    Palm Sales Growth Stalled

    OR maybe palm could not create a better handset because their treo 650 is just the best

    Just imagine if intel corporation could not create better chip in the future, they will stuck even more just because they could not offer any improvement for the customer.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Has anyone seen a single report from someone who changed from POS to WM who thinks that WM is easier to use than POS?
    Obviously not necessarily easier, BUT not as tired as the Palm OS, I'm sorry to say.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    Invitation to Palm: Join in here. Talk to us. Don't lurk. We really, really care about your products. We don't bite. We'll tell you the truth and back it up with the only vote that matters -- our wallets.
    I'd love it if Palm took us up on this, but I think the fallacy in this argument is that our opinions / wants / desires are not the ones which drive sales.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Obviously not necessarily easier, BUT not as tired as the Palm OS, I'm sorry to say.
    Agreed but that does not refute, or even rebut, Colligan's point; people enjoy using his product.
  17. #57  
    That applies to only die-hard Palm OS people. Look at how many supposed Palm OS fans are jumping ship over to the WM Treos, considering they are supposed to be so loyal. I was also loyal but tried something new on a trial and discovered just how tired the Palm OS really is. And worldwide, Palm OS is just a scratch. People enjoy using WM and Symbian more, apparently. Of course, this might be because Palm focuses more on the North American market and not enough global promotion. But we really need a new Palm OS to liven things up!

    And does the Q really have high return rates? I understand the 700 did too!
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 09/09/2006 at 02:42 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  18. #58  
    I went from the 650 to the Cingular 8125. Things ARE easier now. For example, when I'm looking something up on the internet and I have to go reference something in my notes, it doesn't make my internet start over again. Sometimes If I have to go back, then switching to a different program on my t650 would effectively delete that history so I would have to start over. Until there is a major renovation to the Palm OS, I won't be going back. WM is here to stay, and will continue to destroy POS marketshare.
  19. Dim-Ize's Avatar
    Posts
    242 Posts
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    #59  
    I think there is also the fact of the developer market that will hurt Palm.

    With little to no indication of what is forthcoming - developers are leaving the POS for bigger opportunities in the M$ front.

    This is what could be the biggest hurdle for Palm, especially when combined with a user exodus due to lack of communication.

    Without a good developer pool - and application evolution - the handset becomes irrelevant.
  20. tirk's Avatar
    Posts
    810 Posts
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Obviously not necessarily easier, BUT not as tired as the Palm OS, I'm sorry to say.
    Easier to use, but dismissed because it's "tired"? Ignoring what "tired" means to a bunch of software, aren't you just saying in other words "I know Windows is worse at the job I need it to do, but it's newer and shinier"???
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions