Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I have learned to love the built-in WM5 calender and task since the alarms go off exactly when they need to. I'm a bit more organized now! I am able to enter and edit however I need to. The only thing, I probably should get a program that list my tasks on the home screen, instead of just the number.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Yes you can get better but you have to buy them. My real issue is that I only want a few more features but lots more usability. The third party stuff seems to want to add tons more features and the usability isn't nearly as good as it could be if they had fewer features.

It also sucks up available storage space (much so than Palm OS programs).

Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo View Post
    i must admit datebk5 (and/or 6) really spoiled me...and yeah the calendar on WM devices compared to the native POS one is terrible...however at least i can set my appointments down to the minute (i think on the 650 you couldnt do that, i dunno if they fixed that on the 700p)

But for WM...take the native calendar (if you want) or get pocket informant...and especially pocket breeze and you'll be sailing
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Yes you can get better but you have to buy them...........
    I have no problem with paying for software that I like and use. The issue is changing from POS to WM. I have hundreds of dollars invested in software and hundreds of hours in learning POS. Why does it surprise people that I do not want to move from POS to WM?

I like GSM. I like being able to move my number and my personalization from one device to another. I like to be able to travel to any city in the world and be able to receive and make calls as though I had not traveled.

Palm is only willing to sell to me when it has coerced as many people as possible to switch to WM and CDMA, and then only at a premium price. For every one, like me, that hangs in, they lose ten. Go figure.
    Yes you can get better but you have to buy them. My real issue is that I only want a few more features but lots more usability. The third party stuff seems to want to add tons more features and the usability isn't nearly as good as it could be if they had fewer features.

It also sucks up available storage space (much so than Palm OS programs).
    everything you said there i agree with...myself am the same...although i havent really found that yet, ive adapted and seem to be doing better now
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    I have no problem with paying for software that I like and use. The issue is changing from POS to WM. I have hundreds of dollars invested in software and hundreds of hours in learning POS. Why does it surprise people that I do not want to move from POS to WM?

I like GSM. I like being able to move my number and my personalization from one device to another. I like to be able to travel to any city in the world and be able to receive and make calls as though I had not traveled.

Palm is only willing to sell to me when it has coerced as many people as possible to switch to WM and CDMA, and then only at a premium price. For every one, like me, that hangs in, they lose ten. Go figure.
    Keep in mind, the rumor was Palm will be releasing 4 Treos this year. Looks like they are and only ONE is Palm OS. Does that tell you where Palm is probably headed? Is the 700p ever going to go GSM? I'm not so sure, but I can't wait to find out. Do you have the time to wait? I think if nothing else gets announced for GSM by the end of the year, I'd pretty much forget about seeing a GSM 700p.
    I think we're only going to get the one, the WM 750. But there's still hope because the end of the year isn't here yet.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6.    #26  
    there is a POS 750. pictures of it are out there.
    700wx: Better multitasking

I could go on. The only app that seems passable is IE. It does in many cases a better a job than Blazer, but I wish it would work one-handed better. I really wish it could scroll like Blazer (up, down, scrolls a page, left, right selects links). I tried PIEplus and it can scroll by page but I couldn't find anyway to select links.
    Multitasking sometimes slow your OS

I love Blazer single handed operation and the bookmark big columns
    Quote Originally Posted by esatyawan View Post
    Multitasking sometimes slow your OS

I love Blazer single handed operation and the bookmark big columns
    i think that one can be blamed on the processor...its an intel 312 MHz..its a lot zippier on the 416MHz processor on the 6900, and well the universal i have nothing to report (500MHz) and neither with the Axim (600MHz)

the samsung processors are supposed to be better than the Intels, and better on battery consumption...but of course time will tell with the TYTN
    The new POS Treo is hardly going to be much of an upgrade, only offering no antenna and 64 MB ram.

Surur
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Keep in mind, the rumor was Palm will be releasing 4 Treos this year. Looks like they are and only ONE is Palm OS. Does that tell you where Palm is probably headed? Is the 700p ever going to go GSM? I'm not so sure, but I can't wait to find out. Do you have the time to wait? I think if nothing else gets announced for GSM by the end of the year, I'd pretty much forget about seeing a GSM 700p.
    I think we're only going to get the one, the WM 750. But there's still hope because the end of the year isn't here yet.
    Phone Diva (better known as LT) - Good to see you back. I think many of the seemingly dumb actions taken by Palm in the recent past (and still ongoing) can be attributed to one critical mistake - The loss of control of their own operating system. There are probably only a few people within Palm at the time of the spinoff that know the full reasons behind that decision.

I'm re-stating many things we already know here. The current POS is very long in the tooth. It can't multitask - so no Wi-Fi. Several new models have been introduced with the same old POS version (albeit with some window dressing improvements and a lot of hype about new "features").

I think Palm is probably frothing at the mouth waiting for a new OS (Palm Linux), so they can introduce new real innovations. Right now they are stuck with WM as their main ball carrier until they get a new operating system with which they can differentiate themselves from the pack. When that happens, I think we will see a very competitive GSM PAL/POS model.

Palm seems to be dancing as fast as they can to keep everyone's attention until the new PAL/POS arrives. Adopting WM was a very smart move. It has allowed Palm to remain viable and expand their target audience while the new OS is in development. The prospective 750V looks like new dance moves to me. But I may buy it.

Just my $.02.
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    Phone Diva (better known as LT) - Good to see you back. I think many of the seemingly dumb actions taken by Palm in the recent past (and still ongoing) can be attributed to one critical mistake - The loss of control of their own operating system. There are probably only a few people within Palm at the time of the spinoff that know the full reasons behind that decision.

I'm re-stating many things we already know here. The current POS is very long in the tooth. It can't multitask - so no Wi-Fi. Several new models have been introduced with the same old POS version (albeit with some window dressing improvements and a lot of hype about new "features").

I think Palm is probably frothing at the mouth waiting for a new OS (Palm Linux), so they can introduce new real innovations. Right now they are stuck with WM as their main ball carrier until they get a new operating system with which they can differentiate themselves from the pack. When that happens, I think we will see a very competitive GSM PAL/POS model.

Palm seems to be dancing as fast as they can to keep everyone's attention until the new PAL/POS arrives. Adopting WM was a very smart move. It has allowed Palm to remain viable and expand their target audience while the new OS is in development. The prospective 750V looks like new dance moves to me. But I may buy it.

Just my $.02.
    I think Dhart and Diva may be on to something. However, Perry may have missed a big data point. The big deal on the 700 was EVDO; otherwise it was not a generational move. The 750 is not a generational move; faster radio. Not only is Palm fragmenting the market, they are fragmenting the product line. "Four more models this year."

Notice how fragmented TC has become. Our community has disappeared in a proliferation of threads about different models, radios, carriers, applications, and operating systems. (Will TTx work with this or that Treo?) There is no longer a Treo center for Treo Central.

Perry is not going to be able to recognize a new generation when he sees one. Indeed, the 600 may be the last real "generation" that we will see. From now on, it is incremental changes and an infinite combination of features.
    Last edited by whmurray; 09/08/2006 at 10:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy View Post
    there is a POS 750. pictures of it are out there.
    Is that going to be the "Lowrider"? Do you have a link to any photos?

Thanks DHart!

There's really no inkling of them working on a new OS yet. If they're keeping it under wraps, fine. But the new OS would have to be good enough to get people to get rid of their phones AGAIN, being that they've just spent $400 - $650 this year on all of Palm's current new models. Most people keep phones for at least one or two(and even longer sometimes) years, so the the new OS would probably have to be released in 2008-2009 or there could be some unhappy people out there.

2007 is going to have to be a development year for Palm. But while they're "developing", other manufacturers have jumped ahead of them and people are buying other phones. And that's even assuming they are developing and didn't just hand too much control of Palm over to MSFT.

But for the next POS phone, probably in 2008, I don't even want to see Garnet on it!

Come on man, you post in this subforum. Just a few links below this thread you will find the thread of the PalmOS Treo.

edit: and you have 2000+ post count too!
    Last edited by whatever7; 09/08/2006 at 10:45 AM.
    ........But for the next POS phone, probably in 2008,....
    Surely by 2008, what Palm does will be irrelevant. If they continue step-by-step down their present path, there will be a new leader in the market. If there is no new home for Palm applications before 2008, there will be no new applications. As MS has done in so many other markets, they will take over this market too. (MS's success does not rely upon the quality of their design but on the quantity of their instances.) The hardware will become an afterthought. People buy solutions, not hardware, not software. Palm does not get it (anymore).
    Last edited by whmurray; 09/08/2006 at 10:57 AM.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Thanks DHart!

There's really no inkling of them working on a new OS yet. If they're keeping it under wraps, fine. But the new OS would have to be good enough to get people to get rid of their phones AGAIN, being that they've just spent $400 - $650 this year on all of Palm's current new models. Most people keep phones for at least one or two(and even longer sometimes) years, so the the new OS would probably have to be released in 2008-2009 or there could be some unhappy people out there.

2007 is going to have to be a development year for Palm. But while they're "developing", other manufacturers have jumped ahead of them and people are buying other phones. And that's even assuming they are developing and didn't just hand too much control of Palm over to MSFT.

But for the next POS phone, probably in 2008, I don't even want to see Garnet on it!
    PD - Actually there have been recent updates about Palm Access Linux here in the forums. I can't remember the exact details, but I think they were targeting a late 2006/early 2007 release. I don't know what that means in terms of seeing a new POS model from Palm. I agree that others manufacturers are beginning to bring some serious heat to the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Not only is Palm fragmenting the market, they are fragmenting the product line.
    wh - I think this is by design on Palm's part - less eggs in one basket so to speak. This expands their target audience and spreads the risk if a model is not received so well. Fragmenting the TC community is of benefit to Palm also. Most companies are following this strategy. Remember when there was only 1 version of your toothpaste or your shampoo? How many RAZR's are there out there now? And how many Law and Orders are on the tube now? OK - that's enough. Starting to sound like an old f*rt now.
    I really really love my T650, but it is so quickly being overtaken by the wealth of WM smartphones. I love POS and have a huge monetary committment in POS programs, but come on Palm, throw us GSMers a bone here.

I keep reading about stuff like this SUPER thin S620c HTC gem coming out in Oct, and my feets are getting mightly restless........

The S620 is a Quad-band model with full QWERTY keypad that measures 111.5 x 62.5 x 13mm (HxWxD), a very slim smartphone indeed. The weight, including battery, is 130g.

This HTC offering is the first device to feature the company's JOGGR touch sensitive navigation bar to ease access to your applications. The screen measures 2.4in on the diagonal with 240 x 320 resolution. It has a 1.3 Megapixel camera, GPRS/EDGE, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, 128MB ROM, and 64MB RAM. The S620 is scheduled to hit the shelves in October.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/09..._htc_handsets/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    People buy solutions, not hardware, not software. Palm does not get it (anymore).
    Exactly. I am a big fan of the Palm OS because it is easy to use. I have an unlocked GSM 650.

But without doubt sometime in the next 90 days I will switch over to a WM5 device. The solution I seek is full OTA sync to my Exchange Server, with push email.

Palm could protect its temporarily position with customers like me if they (a) ramped up Versamail's sync abilities -- it is halfway there, with sync of calendar and contacts, so they only need tasks and notes; or (b) funded Chatter's rollout of the Exchange plugin.

These are half-measures that would keep people like me in place long enough for them to roll out the true solution(s) that we all hope they have hidden in their corporate hip pocket.

But if Palm is chasing the WM wagon and developing the new Linux-based PalmOS, common sense tells me Palm is doomed.

Look at HTC, Samsung, Motorola, choose your manufacturer. They all have more capital resources than Palm. They're putting their ENTIRE focus on WM5 devices. More money and more brains aimed at a single target (WM5 handheld devices), versus less money and fewer brains aimed at two targets (WM5 handheld devices and PalmOS handheld devices).

It's actually worse. Palm is spending its money on hardware development AND OS development. HTC, Samsung, Moto, etc. only spend money on hardware development. They pay for their OS as a variable cost -- per phone sold -- rather than as an up-front R & D cost. Palm has to drop untold millions of dollars on OS development before even starting to recoup (it hopes) the investment. That's pretty risky.

What will save Palm? Well, an iPod-like "Hail Mary" phenomenon would do it. Probability? Low. What else? I don't know.

I think on the corporate side external market factors are conspiring against Palm -- even if Palm's management is exceptional. And I also think that time is dissipating Palm's goodwill amongst its customers. We're fickle.

I'll shut up now. I love my 650, and one of the things that makes the 650 experience so enjoyable is Treocentral's discussion boards. When I made my detour through Blackberry-land I really missed this community. I will be sorry to go to a competent but soulless WM5 device like the MDA and I will miss the TC Forums when I do go.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Thanks! Looks like another version of Garnet.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast