Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have two of them and they don't go over 160 characters. Please post a screenshot to verify your claim. I can receive messages over 160 characters but cannot type/send them from any Sprint 650 that I've ever used.
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    agreed.
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man View Post
    I have two of them and they don't go over 160 characters. Please post a screenshot to verify your claim. I can receive messages over 160 characters but cannot type/send them from any Sprint 650 that I've ever used.
    I have since given away the device. I am sorry to dissappoint.

Maybe I am incorrect. Maybe I am recalling the fact that it would send out 2 messages and say message 1 of 2. Hmmmm... maybe I am wrong. It's been a while. I know my SK2 did it

So if this is the case, it's a PALM issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    I have since given away the device. I am sorry to dissappoint.

Maybe I am incorrect. Maybe I am recalling the fact that it would send out 2 messages and say message 1 of 2. Hmmmm... maybe I am wrong. It's been a while. I know my SK2 did it

So if this is the case, it's a PALM issue.
    Like I said, though you're wrong about it being a Palm issue. GSM 650s can do it but CDMA 650s cannot. It's been covered numerous times before on this forum.
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Like I said, though you're wrong about it being a Palm issue. GSM 650s can do it but CDMA 650s cannot. It's been covered numerous times before on this forum.
    What's confusing about the whole thing is that the Sprint 6700 can do this so I imagine that it's just a reg entry that we don't know of yet. I'm hoping it's that easy.
    Kash76

Quote Originally Posted by Kash76 View Post
    What's confusing about the whole thing is that the Sprint 6700 can do this so I imagine that it's just a reg entry that we don't know of yet. I'm hoping it's that easy.
    Darth was talking about the 650 which runs PalmOS and was wrong about the Sprint 650 being able to go over 160 characters.

I agree that the 700wx should be able to, given the right registry setting.
    CDMA can do it. Just not the Treo CDMA fones. I have had two cdma fones do this for me in the past. I was hoping it was a Palm OS issue. Not a Palm hardware issue.
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Yeah the hardware mention was sarcasm from before 2000 and I had our hands slapped and had to make up
    Kash76

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    CDMA can do it. Just not the Treo CDMA fones. I have had two cdma fones do this for me in the past. I was hoping it was a Palm OS issue. Not a Palm hardware issue.
    We know that there are CDMA phones that can do it. You were wrong when you claimed that CDMA 650's can do it.
    We know that there are CDMA phones that can do it. You were wrong when you claimed that CDMA 650's can do it.
    < edit by septimus >

Edited to add this:

You're the one who brought up CDMA VS GSM... not me. I know your referring to Treo CDMA vs. GSM, but I am not a mind reader and even though this is a TREO FORUM, other phones were discussed here before you decided to act like the definitive authority on Treo's. BTW, I made my correction in here. I can admit I am wrong... because if being right like you all the time is what makes you act like the way you are... I can DEFINITELY admit I am wrong.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    No idea if this helps or not, but I have had two previous CDMA phones on VZW before my Treo (not including a 6700 that I traded after 7 days for a Treo 700w), and at least one of the phones was able to do this message splitting thing, so it definately doesn't matter if the NETWORK is CDMA, although the CDMA vs. GSM versions of the phone may vary.

I've owned a CDM-8900 and a Motorola E815. The cdm could def. do it, and the moto may have been able to, i don't remember.
    It's something that Palm can enable when they compile the WM OS code for the phone. I don't think it's do-able with the registry, however.

In other words, it would require a firmware update.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    if that's the case, then all i can say is that palm is stupid for not enabling it. what downside is there to doing it?
    By enabling it, they make their build of the OS non-standard (rofl.. as if they haven't done that already) and unsupported... yadda...yadda... Chances are good that it's such a small thing for most people that they never even thought of enabling it. Keep in mind that the wx is only Palm's second PPC device EVER. It would be more accurate to say that the 700wx is actually only a slight revision to the 700w... (from the OS build standpoint.)
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_d View Post
    By enabling it, they make their build of the OS non-standard (rofl.. as if they haven't done that already) and unsupported... yadda...yadda...
    I don't think that's true as the ppc-6700 already does this e.g. split the outgoing message up automatically after 160 characters.

They probably just didn't think of it.

I mean, in fairness they nailed like 98% of this phone. Some things they missed: threaded sms, sms message splitter, one-handed email folders and Rev A.

Close enough though.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I searched every word I could think of in the registry. Looked all over xda-developers and pdaphonehome and this is not being discussed any where. There is some talk of Unicode and being cut of at 70 relating to language but no mention of going over 160 and splitting the message.

To me this is a minor issue since the message is going to arrive in 160 word increments I like being conscious of where the message cuts off....ie:

"blah,,,,blah,,,,blah,,,,,,,,,thanks hun, I'll see you at the game. Me and the boys are going to swing be the pub, work was tough. I'll see you after I have myself a strong man"

continued after 160 character limit:

"hatten, see ya there."

However if you carry on a dozen text conversations throughout a week, threaded sms is a must.
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    thanks for having a look. this os more of a nice to have from time to time.
    Kash76

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12