Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45
  1.    #1  
    I thinking of switching to WM5 b/c I see a furture in it and PALM is just not doing it anymore. I know the 6700 is about to be 1 year old but It's got a faster processor, WIFI and Higher resolution. Right now I have 700P but would like to know if the 700WX is better than the 6700, I don't see it in the specs. BTW I love the treo form factor.
    I have a lot to say but I dont want to get banned...AGAIN!!
  2.    #2  
    Here is a link to compare the two.
    http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/com...%5D=&id%5B%5D=
    I have a lot to say but I dont want to get banned...AGAIN!!
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by elbombillo2 View Post
    I thinking of switching to WM5 b/c I see a furture in it and PALM is just not doing it anymore. I know the 6700 is about to be 1 year old but It's got a faster processor, WIFI and Higher resolution. Right now I have 700P but would like to know if the 700WX is better than the 6700, I don't see it in the specs. BTW I love the treo form factor.
    Ironically, the faster processor doesn't matter. As an owner of both I can tell you that the 700wx "feels" like a 6700 being Overclocked to 520mhz. Seriously, it's that fast.

    WiFi of course is not built in but can be added with an SDIO card. You have to decide how important/cumbersome that can be. Inserting the wifi card and connecting to a network is nearly instant.

    Resolution: not so much that the 6700 has a higher resolution, it just has more screen space. The resolution is basically the same and looks great, imo.

    Here's from a post of mine at pdahonehome talking about the benefits of the 700wx:

    --hardware ringer switch (on/vibrate). this should be requirement.

    --very loud earpiece. I used it in Penn station w/a band playing.

    --better speakerphone

    --faster camera application

    --better phone application w/soft keys for mute and speakerphone

    --contact search is the 1st item on the today screen. dialing is so easy now.

    --memory: they technically have the same but the 700wx has more available. You can be running a dozen programs and still have 30mb+ of free Program Memory. It's virtually impossible to run out. Out of the box, you have 57mb of storage space! I have everything I want on there (including Skype and Opera) and still have 26mb left.

    --ringer options for known, unknown and roaming callers.

    --battery meter counts in SINGLE digits increments! I know that I have 92% battery left.

    --better battery life: slower proccessor and is more effecient. Plus, you can throw in a 2400 mah battery and it's the same size as the stock. No bulk.

    --boot time: 15 seconds. seriously.

    --keyboard and screen are very bright.

    --better handling of EvDO. Don't know how to explain this: it just seems to load and process everything faster. Even my Slingbox looks better on the 700wx as far as streaming goes. The interent is just lighting fast on this thing--I assume it's due to a new chipset.

    --Built in: MS VoiceCommand, Picsel Viewer

    --If you hold down the "OK" button it brings up your running programs so you can close them...one handed. Imagine that!

    --No blinking LEDs!: They're only for roaming (when phone is turned on, not in standby), alarms and notifications. No stupid service LED (save batteries and is less distracting at night!)

    So alot of things are "under the hood".

    Here's some analogies: With the 6700 it felt like UT Starcom simply threw on the installation disk for WM5 with barely any tweaks or refinements. With the 700wx, it feels like Palm tweaked, optimized and stripped down WM5 and then actually tried using the device for everyday things.

    If the 6700 were a Hummer (big, powerful, no frills), the 700wx is a Lexus: refined, tweaked out and a smooth ride.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Ironically, the faster processor doesn't matter. As an owner of both I can tell you that the 700wx "feels" like a 6700 being Overclocked to 520mhz. Seriously, it's that fast.

    WiFi of course is not built in but can be added with an SDIO card. You have to decide how important/cumbersome that can be. Inserting the wifi card and connecting to a network is nearly instant.

    Resolution: not so much that the 6700 has a higher resolution, it just has more screen space. The resolution is basically the same and looks great, imo.

    Here's from a post of mine at pdahonehome talking about the benefits of the 700wx:
    WoW well said. Does anyone know if the 700WX will be able to use Revision A ?
    I have a lot to say but I dont want to get banned...AGAIN!!
  5. #5  
    I like malatesa's review, after using both for a long time (I had the 700w) I can say he remembered just about everything. The main difference is this:

    The 6700 is nowhere near as one-handed as the 700w/x. I went back to the 6700 for a day to see if my more advanced knowledge of wm5 could improve the 6700 ease of use. It could not. It did have smart-dial, which is a life saver considering the keyboard use is a CHORE at best! But a lot of WM5'S ease of use is from the keyboard (start key, P= programs, they you use the keypad. You need a precise finger to tap PROGRAMS in the start menu on the 6700). If you drive and use the phone, forget the 6700. I found that even w/the smartdial I would miss a key sometimes, and have to go back. No contest IMO, but the lack of wifi makes others disagree.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    I like malatesa's review, after using both for a long time (I had the 700w) I can say he remembered just about everything. The main difference is this:

    The 6700 is nowhere near as one-handed as the 700w/x. I went back to the 6700 for a day to see if my more advanced knowledge of wm5 could improve the 6700 ease of use. It could not. It did have smart-dial, which is a life saver considering the keyboard use is a CHORE at best! But a lot of WM5'S ease of use is from the keyboard (start key, P= programs, they you use the keypad. You need a precise finger to tap PROGRAMS in the start menu on the 6700). If you drive and use the phone, forget the 6700. I found that even w/the smartdial I would miss a key sometimes, and have to go back. No contest IMO, but the lack of wifi makes others disagree.
    Well put, Littlepat and Malatesa. I had a 6700 and cringe when I see people getting excited about the TyTn or O2Mars. That keyboard may work for some, but it's a deal breaker for me.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  7. #7  
    I can also tell you that as a former 650, present 6700 user I will be going to the 700wx for all the above reasons... I waited forever for the 700w to come to sprint because of Exchange Push that my job supports, and I didn't want to change carriers due to the enormous discount I get, so I bought a used 6700 in March. Since then I have been chomping at the bit to get a 700w(x) on Sprint, and had even tested it on VZW for a week after becoming disgusted with not being able to dial out without sliding out the keyboard, not being able to hear the ringer at times, and the real hang up-- having to sometimes reset the device just to adjust the volume so I can mute it when I go into meetings... While WiFi is a help for me at times (because I can use skype to make outgoing calls when I'm in a "hole" somewhere) it isn't that serious, and I can just pop in a wifi SDIO card anyway for that rare time.

    What I really want to know is, can I somehow use my Total Replacement service to get a 700wx? I've had my 6700 looked at 3 times now, and im just fed up with it....
    ...This ain't a phone or a PDA, It's a way of life!
    for all your multimedia needs, it's gotta be Starrwulfe Ltd!
  8. #8  
    I had the 6700 as well for 6 months. wifi was cool but a real battery hog. I found that with my good evdo signal I didn't need wifi.

    wx for me.
  9. #9  
    Had the 6700 for a couple months and the 700p for a couple and the wx tears them apart. Get the wx.
  10. #10  
    IMO after comparing the two side by side earlier... the 6700 screen doesn't impress me that much to begin with.. it seems dark. The 700 screen is much brighter and crisper and not to mention the product as a whole is much more user friendly. The only downside is the lack of programs for the box screen... but even that is not really an issue as most have been converted.
  11. #11  
    So, how much better is the wx's speakerphone than the 6700's? I have tried every speakerphone from every phone and they all suck (although my Nokia work phone is decent). Does it crackle like all others when you turn it all the way up?

    I guess full duplex is out of the question?
  12. #12  
    I've owned a Treo 600 for several years and just tried the 6700 for ten days and now I just ordered a Treo 700WX. I did not like this about the 6700:

    1. felt like it was always coming apart in my hand.
    2. battery life was dismal. After an 1 1/2 call I had to recharge.
    3. No exposed keyboard was inefficient though I think if you use voice command it shouldn't be as much of an issue.

    I know there is way better to come but for now I think the 700WX is the best compromise for a solid PDA and phone.

    IMHO
  13. #13  
    The 700wx is pretty solid. I had the 700w and 700p. This is my favorite so far. Good performance. It's nice to know there is more memory. I was always house cleaning on the 700w.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
  14. #14  
    Is the 700wx ringer volume much louder than that of the ppc6700. With my ppc6700, having it on ring is pretty much useless out in public as i can never hear it unless its damn near silent, like in class during a test lol.
  15. #15  
    yea malatesta has a way with words hehe. thats why Im glad hes on my team. anyways I figured I would throw out my opinion. And well probably be bashed for it. But the 6700 is a great phone, granted you have to do some hacks and what not to get it exactly where you want it, but Im sure the same applies for the 700wx. IMHO the choose is urs and it depends on what you like. Me I like my bigger screen and keyboard. I cant imagine me typing as much as I do on my ppc6700 on the 700wx because of the size of the keyboard. But like I said this is just my 2 cents.
    ~mike
    PPC and PPC Phone edition forum
    PPC Freeware site where you can download directly to your ppc!
  16. #16  
    6700:

    1) Better screen (bigger).
    2) Easier to use KB (when you slide it out of course).


    wx:

    1) Very good KB and its always there to help you move faster, ie jumping to a point in a list.
    2) Better 5 way button, joysticks are lousy!!!
    3) Its a 1 handed easy to use form factor.
    4) Wm is tweaked extremely well for 1 handed use.
    5) Extra capacity battery is slim, unlike the 6700's.
    6) Extremely well lit KB, the 6700 is difficult to use in low light as the secondary character on the KB are not lit well, the primary are better but still not great.
    7) Just as fast as the 6700.

    I will comment on the speaker phone later when I can test it out.
  17. #17  
    I think the speaker phone is better on the 700wx, but not perfect. Cuts off w/background noise, but thats a Sprint standard
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Wideawake View Post
    yea malatesta has a way with words hehe. thats why Im glad hes on my team. anyways I figured I would throw out my opinion. And well probably be bashed for it. But the 6700 is a great phone, granted you have to do some hacks and what not to get it exactly where you want it, but Im sure the same applies for the 700wx. IMHO the choose is urs and it depends on what you like. Me I like my bigger screen and keyboard. I cant imagine me typing as much as I do on my ppc6700 on the 700wx because of the size of the keyboard. But like I said this is just my 2 cents.
    ~mike
    certianly for GPS users, the 6700 has a large advantage...literally. it would be a lot easier to see in the car.

    that's what is great here: choice. now we can have a more refined user experience and choose a device based on our needs. that's why the "Q" will be good for users as well, some just need a "basic" WM experience and that will full-fill that need!

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    certianly for GPS users, the 6700 has a large advantage...literally. it would be a lot easier to see in the car.

    that's what is great here: choice. now we can have a more refined user experience and choose a device based on our needs. that's why the "Q" will be good for users as well, some just need a "basic" WM experience and that will full-fill that need!
    Yup. And in a few months that Samsung smartphone is going to destroy that Q. Wifi built in, etc etc.

    I used tomtom on my 650 way back when and I had no problems using it. Easier to see? Perhaps. But mount your phone in the right spot and you're good to go.
  20. #20  
    Well after experiencing the gamut of my normal speaker phone routine namely voice calls, classical, dance, rave, country, alternative pop and NPR, I dont think there is a difference between the speaker phones on the T600, T650, T700p, T700wx, 8125 or MDA. They all sound like 1 inch speakers. Using an amp just creates distortion unless its all high or mid/high tones. Adjusting an EQ helps a little but its to cumbersome to select a different EQ profile for the current need.

    But, With headphones on it sounds pretty darn good
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions