1.    #1  
    So far the 700wx is a mixed bag for me mainly due to the OS(which admitedly I'm not used to yet after only a day of playing with it). Main issues at this point are:

1. Can't access the internet using the Treo when in the cradle(usb) which has secondary complication of no exchange sync during activesync session. Have tried changing the internet connection type in activesync to no evail. If anyone can help with this I'd be very grateful. My understanding is that the desktop is supposed to serve as a passthrough internet connection for the Treo in this configuration. This would provide rapid exchange synchronization if I need to sync attachments or if I have to start from scratch with my whole outlook pim data again.

2. Navigation issues abound. I am really struggling with Pocket Outlook in particular the email application. It is so difficult to switch between subfolders without getting the stylus out. Also, the notification on the Today screen only tells me when I have new mail in my inbox,not my subfolders. Is this a configurable option that I haven't found? So far I like Chatter much much better but it was killing my battery and causing lots of hiccups while typing or playing music on my 700P. Now I just have to decide to hold out hope for a 700P update or keep the 700wx and deal with the issues or find third party apps to help me.
    don't forget about the 700wx update. there's bound to be a few bugs.
    If this is your first stint with WM5, the I would give it a little more time. Especially if your coming from POS. I found over time, the WM5 is growing on me more and more. I love the POS, but it's really getting old. As the comment above notes, the updates sometimes helps the early quirks of WM5 (not just the 700w/wx). I believe the cradled internet access is an issue/limitation of ActiveSync and not the device itself.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
  4.    #4  
    It would seem the cradled internet isn't necessarily a feature that has to exist. However, if activesync has a configuration for doing an exchange sync using either OTA or desktop sync I would think this should work. In addition, you can't tell it to synchronize with the desktop Outlook client when cradled but directly with the exchange server when using cdma OTA push. It has to be one or the other for each part of the PIM data.

Oh well, it isn't a complete show stopper at this point since I left my phone on overnight to OTA sync with our exchange server using push. It worked but took a while even at EVDO speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by brmcguire View Post
    If this is your first stint with WM5, the I would give it a little more time. Especially if your coming from POS. I found over time, the WM5 is growing on me more and more. I love the POS, but it's really getting old. As the comment above notes, the updates sometimes helps the early quirks of WM5 (not just the 700w/wx). I believe the cradled internet access is an issue/limitation of ActiveSync and not the device itself.
    If I turn my phone OFF at night and kepe it cradled at home, (With activesync set up for our exchange server) it will continue to update and sync via the computers internet connection.

I am using SERIAL for the USB if that matters.. if you are not go to th USB Switcher...

It works great.. In the AM I wake up and all the email is there.. and the phone was off all night which is nice.

Are you having issues with this?

Mike
  6.    #6  
    Yep, that is my issue. Will try the usb switcher.
  7.    #7  
    which version of activesync are you using?
    well everyone I think I'm done with this 700w, forget the 700wx.. game over.

thin as a Q, wifi, HSPDA, (I'm sure a better screen its Samsung), more memory than 700w, sounds like its worth switching for to me..

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/05/s...phone-at-last/
    Quote Originally Posted by neomuzic View Post

thin as a Q, wifi, HSPDA, (I'm sure a better screen its Samsung), more memory than 700w, sounds like its worth switching for to me..

Smartphone OS, not PPC. No touch screen. But, that does look like a sweet device. I'll wait for a gsm treo 700w
  10.    #10  
    Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Switched to serial USB which fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeRadio View Post
    If I turn my phone OFF at night and kepe it cradled at home, (With activesync set up for our exchange server) it will continue to update and sync via the computers internet connection.

I am using SERIAL for the USB if that matters.. if you are not go to th USB Switcher...

It works great.. In the AM I wake up and all the email is there.. and the phone was off all night which is nice.

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by neomuzic View Post

Unfortunately, the WM smartphone OS sucks, IMHO, unless you are not a power user
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    Hen smartphones sucks without a touch screen.
    I have several without a touchscreen and I'm OK with that. Having to pull out the stylus isn't always fun. Personal choice, I guess. Although when using WM, it does feel strange without it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by ttoppins View Post
    It would seem the cradled internet isn't necessarily a feature that has to exist. However, if activesync has a configuration for doing an exchange sync using either OTA or desktop sync I would think this should work. In addition, you can't tell it to synchronize with the desktop Outlook client when cradled but directly with the exchange server when using cdma OTA push. It has to be one or the other for each part of the PIM data.

Oh well, it isn't a complete show stopper at this point since I left my phone on overnight to OTA sync with our exchange server using push. It worked but took a while even at EVDO speeds.
    I have a guest sync account on my pc (all my data is OTA). When I sync with bluetooth, mainly to transfer files & install, I can sync with exchange as well.

Maybe your problem is your using a full partnership, not a guest partnership.
  15.    #15  
    Turns out I needed to do the usb switch to serial usb. That fixed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeRadio View Post

Mike
    Ok I have the activesync no internet connection thing going on. What is the USB switcher?
  17.    #17  
    Star Menu - Programs - USbSwitch. Worked like a charm for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttoppins View Post
    Star Menu - Programs - USbSwitch. Worked like a charm for me.
    Yup that did it thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    Yup that did it thank you!
    This shouldn't be needed, but glad it worked! I currently have a PPC-6700 which works fine using the internet while on Activesync and (by default) it doesn't have the USB switch which is means it always syncs through RNDIS (network adapter) which is what the 700wx uses before switching. I hope all Windows device has this in the future as this will be an amazing tool for those cannot configure their firewall (either locked out, doesn't know how, or just don't want to mess with it). I did go ahead and copy that switch to my 6700 and cannot figure out why they didn't just sync with USB-serial in the first place. I tried transferring a 5mb song through activesync configured as RNDIS and also this USB-serial with no difference in speed. Anyone have any idea why this just isn't the only option since it only seems better in every way?