View Poll Results: Are you mad that the 700WX is better than the 700W?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

43 46.74%
  • No

16 17.39%
  • I Don't Care

27 29.35%
  • I HATE WINDOWS MOBILE!!!

6 6.52%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was just wondering. I figure that alot of Verizon people are gonna be pissed because the WX is better than the W. Take the poll and post your comments.
    I am truely pissed about the wx. I would be in heaven if it had more memory on my 700w. I paid a lot of money for this unit and thought that I would have a fully functional phone/pda. I have always had two units (phone and pda), where the pda had all of the bells and whistles.

People argued in the beginning that the 700w was a phone first and then a pda. That is not how verizon advertised the unit. They should have put in small print things like a memory leak, only 25MB out of the 64MB that were advertised would be available for program memory. Constant resets is another item that should have been in small print. If you don't keep a close eye on the unit neither the phone or the pda will work as they should. I am constantly checking the memory on the phone to avoid lock-ups and resets. I have spoke with friends that have the 6700 and memory is never an issue with tons of programs running in the background. One of the coolest programs on the phone is voice command, unfortunately I can not use the program because my unit will slow to a creep and eventually lock-up.

Well guess what, now there is a Treo WM5 out there that may possiblly be very good at both, which by the way is what I thought I puchased when I bought the 700w. Palm recognized their mistake and put a unit out that is better equiped to handle WM5 operating system. It pains me to see that there is a unit out there that is a spin off developed because of the problems that have been documented with the 700w. It makes me sick to my stomach that short of a years time there is a unit out there that has addressed the memory issue, which has been the biggest complaint to date for the 700w.
    Last edited by wny1mxo; 09/05/2006 at 06:38 AM.
    What angers/annoys me is that Palm seems to be trying to hide the fact that the wx is better than the w. If you look at the palm site, they are advertising both side by side, and not clearly stating that the wx has more memory... as if they are trying to cover the fact up. It would seem that the less tech-savvy consumer would not even know that the wx is a completely different device because of the diff. in memory.
    Palm should be more forthcoming, instead, they are giving the impression that they are covering it up, thus further making them look bad.
    Otherwise, I'm not too pissed... a better device will always come out. Palm should just be more forthcoming that the wx IS a better device, instead of trying to trick the average consumer.
    It is really quite interesting. In the past, Sprint customers were the beta testers and always got the new, buggy phones. We accepted it because we wanted to play with the latest and greatest. Verizon customers always benefited by our tests by getting the "updated" versions. For one of the first times, Verizon had a unit first and served as the beta testers. And, six months later, Sprint customers end up with the better device. This seems to have reaked havoc on the entire "circle of life".

I have been a Sprint customer since the Treo 600 and have not regretted it since. Pretty soon, the "better voice service" that Verizon is known for, will only be based on their ads and not reality. I love Sprint (though I tell retentions that I don't so I can get good deals - like my new 700p for $150 with no contract or need to trade in my 650).

Verizon customers - sorry for your aggravation. You are not used to being beta testers. Everyone was so excited to be the first to get the 700w and now you are suffering like early sprint adopters.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Not to start a flame war, but you know what really pisses me off is when Verizon goes hollier than thou on us and say I want the treo exclusivly, screw SPCS, TMO, Cing etc, I want it exclusivly. In my site this was a major **** move, and it ended up backfiring on you the alpha tester. Because it was not able to be deseminated to more carriers, once that exclusivity agreement was over, the other carriers dictated to Palm that improvments were needed. If they just allowed other carriers to have it at the same time, then we would have all been in the same boat, and the 700wx would have been an incrimental upgrade.

People with Windows Mobile/CE experience cant honestly say that they didnt look at the memory on the w before purchase and realize that it has been some time since any device manufacturer ran windows mobile on such a anemic memory platform. I saw it right off the bat and decided not to move to Verison but to wait for a better device. In order for Verizon to give you the great price point you got on the w, they had to skimp. Us SPCS users on the other hand are stuck with the nearly $700 full price tag. You get what you pay for. This all reminds me of the kid in the neighborhood that had the newest coolest toy that nobody else had, and then someone else gets the new edition of it, and then all of a sudden he is not as cool anymore so he complains...

The people who should be complaining are our GSM brothers and sisters. They are stuck with the aging T650, and none of this WM Treo goodness. Now granted they will get the 750 soon hopfully, but they have been locked out of the game far longer than you and I. I cant wait until the 750 comes out and is better than the 700w/wx, to hear all of the Palm F'ed us posts, the only person who f'ed you is yourself. Never take a vague product brocure as gosple. Always research and look under the hood. If more VZW customers had stopped and looked at the memory in the first place, they would have realized that all that glitters is not gold. And maybe even weaker sales figures would have sent a message to VZW to stop being a buch of a$$hats and do the right thing for their customers and for the industry.

Sorry if my tone is angry, I am just getting fed up with the victim mentality here on these boards.
    bit_bucket
    I dont think anyone should be angry that the wx is better, they should be angry that the w is worse for no obvious reason (and no, 32 MB sdram will only save you $10.

The fact is, Palm tried to get away by pulling a fast one. The poor sales figures and poor corporate uptake of the device shows they did NOT get away with it, as did the wx, which I am sure was unplanned.

Surur
    Personally I don't care at all. This is what Palm does. I got the Palm III, then the Palm IIIx came out. I got the Palm V, then the Vx came out. I got the m505, then the m515 came out. Passed on the Tungsten T and got the Tungsten W. Surpisingly they didn't play that game with my Treo 600 and 650.
    I am really waiting for the HP iPAQ hw6940 with built in wi-fi. It was supposed to be released around the same time as the 700W but it still in a holding pattern.
    Two ways to look at this:

1) Sprint was Handspring's strongest supporter, so now why would Palm give Verizon exclusivity unless Sprint didn't want the w in its form.

2) Verizon really is on Palm's good side and isn't matching the wx because they will get the thinner GSM-like model in January (CDMA exclusive on that again for half a year).
    Last edited by skfny; 09/05/2006 at 09:03 AM.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    I'm not necessarily mad, just disappointed in Palm. They finally got it right, but shouldn't they have gotten the 700w right in the first place?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Dont you think Palm will come out with an upgrade for the 700w that will give it it the same memory? Obviously they figured out a way to do it with the 700wx.. I would think that if we just waited a little while, there will be a fix..

What do you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by tama2112 View Post
    Dont you think Palm will come out with an upgrade for the 700w that will give it it the same memory? Obviously they figured out a way to do it with the 700wx.. I would think that if we just waited a little while, there will be a fix..

What do you think?
    No, because it is a hardware upgrade in WM 5.0. Not just a firmware upgrade. You'd have to send your unit in for service.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Two ways to look at this:

1) Sprint was Handspring's strongest supporter, so now why would Palm give Verizon exclusivity unless Sprint didn't want the w in its form.

2) Verizon really is on Palm's good side and isn't matching the wx because they will get the thinner GSM-like model in January (CDMA exclusive on that again for half a year).
    Have you actually seen anything about (2) being true, or are you just hoping like I am?
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    I went with the 700p and came from cingular. I almost jumped ship with the 700w. If I did I would have left VZW and never came back. Its still making me mad because this is mostly palm's doing. Might just jump both ships with the BB 8100 coming out soon. Not sure why I left my BB for a palm anyway. Might have been a mistake.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tama2112 View Post

What do you think?

No, because it is a hardware upgrade in WM 5.0. Not just a firmware upgrade. You'd have to send your unit in for service.
    I would do it.. I still think they may make that offer.. Even for a fee - it couldnt be more expensive than breaking my Verizon contract!!
    Everyone introduces new versions of their hardware right after I buy. I bought a first generation iPod, hey presto Steve Jobs learned about it and moved onto the second generation. I bought a Nano, and the video iPod came out.

It's just life. Stop whining. Your pain is optional and self-generated and can be solved with a bit of money. If you're not willing to spend the money then the only other answer must be that you like to be unhappy.

Thank you, Dr. Phil. I'll go about my day now having dropped a little bit of sunshine onto the TC landscape.
    Quote Originally Posted by levinda View Post
    Have you actually seen anything about (2) being true, or are you just hoping like I am?
    Just hoping, but it seems like a logical response. Even if Palm wasn't planning for it originally, I'm sure Verizon is pressing them to give them a slim CDMA WM Treo early next year.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    I'm not only not annoyed about it, but I actually just got a 700w for my wife 3 days after purchasing a 700wx for myself. We're on different carries and the 700w with it's dainty memory will be just fine for my wife who will use it for keeping track of contacts and appointments only.
    I'm not only not annoyed about it, but I actually just got a 700w for my wife 3 days after purchasing a 700wx for myself. We're on different carries and the 700w with it's dainty memory will be just fine for my wife who will use it for keeping track of contacts and appointments only.
    I'm sorry.. But i must ask: (Because my wife and i both use Treo 700w's).
    Why is your wife with a different phone carrier? Wouldnt that run up your minutes (both of yours)??
    you guys are over looking the fact that now there will be twice as many users helping hack this phone in to shape. a2dp, bluetooth dialing, ect. will now have many more devolpers working on it. with the demand for 240x240 app being doubled the supply will be greater. yes I could see people leaving to over priced verzion for twice the memory sprint, but even if they didn't I fell that this forum, apps, hack, tricks, ect are just going to get better. don't be so pessimistic guys. a year from now if not sooner you'll have a different phone to complain about.(lol)
    I'd me mad if the wx Didn't have more memory. I've had the w since January which is forever in techno-time. I'm glad TO see the Treo's are improving. By the time I'm ready to replace my current phone, I'm hoping to see the external antenna disappear, a2dp and wifi be included, memory increased even more, a second SD card slot inside the battery compartment, a better external SD card slot that locks the card in (doesn't shoot out on occasion even though the scotch tape trick helps), the latest Real GPS chip builtin, higher screen res, and other items we haven't even thought about yet.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast