View Poll Results: Are you mad that the 700WX is better than the 700W?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

43 46.74%
  • No

16 17.39%
  • I Don't Care

27 29.35%
  • I HATE WINDOWS MOBILE!!!

6 6.52%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    You do know you are talking about Palm right? I was expecting to a or or a at the end of your post.....
    The real question is though--will Palm start shipping w units to Verizon with the upgraded memory?

If this (memory) is the holy grail for the Windows based Treo (and there is no reason not to think so at this point) why would Verizon stick with the "older version" once its supplies run out. Obviously they have to move existing inventory, but is Palm still manufacturing units with less memory?
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtrader View Post
    The real question is though--will Palm start shipping w units to Verizon with the upgraded memory?

If this (memory) is the holy grail for the Windows based Treo (and there is no reason not to think so at this point) why would Verizon stick with the "older version" once its supplies run out. Obviously they have to move existing inventory, but is Palm still manufacturing units with less memory?
    Only if they can make a buck on it. I seriously doubt they will update the w. It is what it is and Palm never changes the internals of a device and not increment the version. So you would have a better chance of seeing the wx at Verizon, but that in and of itself is doubtful.
    bit_bucket
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I wouldn't be mad if Palm stopped producing the w alongside the wx, or if they released a 700w Rev.B with the memory upgrade; but the fact that they continue to produce both and sell them at the same pricepoint with the only difference between who gets what being their provider.... sounds a lot like just another case of the customers getting shafted over corporate BS. Hell, thanks to provider contracts, most of us couldn't make the switch if we wanted to without paying out the nose in early termination charges on top of the cost of a whole new device...all to get that $5-10 worth of extra memory.
    This is all Palm's fault! If they supplied Verizon with Treos with upgraded memory, I'd personally jump the gun on it and pay the difference. The paltry 12MB of available memory is just plain pathetic and PPCTech still haven't made any significant progress with the RAM upgrade.

Palm not supplying Verizon with the updated Treos will just be plain stupid. If they teamed up and provided current Treo 700w owners a trade-up or upgrade program for a small fee, I am sure people (including myself) would jump on it. But like others said, I doubt this type of upgrade program will come to any type of fruition. Oh well ...
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JWB! View Post
    I'd me mad if the wx Didn't have more memory. I've had the w since January which is forever in techno-time. I'm glad TO see the Treo's are improving. By the time I'm ready to replace my current phone, I'm hoping to see the external antenna disappear, a2dp and wifi be included, memory increased even more, a second SD card slot inside the battery compartment, a better external SD card slot that locks the card in (doesn't shoot out on occasion even though the scotch tape trick helps), the latest Real GPS chip builtin, higher screen res, and other items we haven't even thought about yet.
    I'm with you on this one. My w is working fine now and by the time I'm ready to upgrade the "bugs" will be worked out. (Wishful thinking...)
    remember that the 700w was the first WM device Palm actually made - the execs/engineers probably though that the 32mb of RAM would be sufficient, and they learned that it wasn't. Now with the wx, early reviews are stating that the device is FAST and awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    You do know you are talking about Palm right? I was expecting to a or or a at the end of your post.....
    HAH!!! - Well, this Is my first Palm device so I am still blissfully ignorant!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by viperboy View Post
    I was just wondering. I figure that alot of Verizon people are gonna be pissed because the WX is better than the W. Take the poll and post your comments.
    He he he,,,,,, its not bugging me a bit,,,, chuckle chuckle

But there would have to be a 100% consensus,,,,, how could vz users not be absolutely livid?,,,,,, I left vz after 10 years because I got tired of envying sprint users...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tardeaux View Post
    I wouldn't be mad if Palm stopped producing the w alongside the wx, or if they released a 700w Rev.B with the memory upgrade; but the fact that they continue to produce both and sell them at the same pricepoint with the only difference between who gets what being their provider.
    I would think that Verizon users would be used to paying more money for less functionality by now. Last I checked, a Verizon plan equivalent to my current Sprint plan would cost about 2-3 times as much.
    No what annoys me are post trolls who just like to pose questions to stir up the pot. 6 months is a generation time frame most of the time... this wasn't even that, it was a moderate upgrade of existing technology and device. Did they screw up initially?? Yes... but releasing something that works for a majority of users (not just power users) and then come out later with one that will appeal to even the most picky (well maybe not some here) is just fine. Out of 13 people I know who bought the 700W, only 3 didn't like it or had issues with the memory (me being one of them). So what did I do?? Got the WX as quickly as possible.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasDave555
    No what annoys me are post trolls who just like to pose questions to stir up the pot...
    Just asking a question to see what people think... Calm down...
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    neener, neener
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreak View Post
    It is really quite interesting. In the past, Sprint customers were the beta testers and always got the new, buggy phones. We accepted it because we wanted to play with the latest and greatest. Verizon customers always benefited by our tests by getting the "updated" versions. For one of the first times, Verizon had a unit first and served as the beta testers. And, six months later, Sprint customers end up with the better device. This seems to have reaked havoc on the entire "circle of life".

I have been a Sprint customer since the Treo 600 and have not regretted it since. Pretty soon, the "better voice service" that Verizon is known for, will only be based on their ads and not reality. I love Sprint (though I tell retentions that I don't so I can get good deals - like my new 700p for $150 with no contract or need to trade in my 650).

Verizon customers - sorry for your aggravation. You are not used to being beta testers. Everyone was so excited to be the first to get the 700w and now you are suffering like early sprint adopters.
    thats very well said. couldnt agree more.
    I'm really bummed about this as I am getting ready to upgrade from my 600 to a 700w on VZW. I'll probably have to suffer with the memory problem for at least a year before I can consider upgrading again.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharashii View Post
    I'm really bummed about this as I am getting ready to upgrade from my 600 to a 700w on VZW. I'll probably have to suffer with the memory problem for at least a year before I can consider upgrading again.
    Dont upgrade. Knowing what you know now; there is a memory problem with the w, so dont buy it. Stick with what you have until something better comes out or jump ship for Sprint. In my experience, Sprint has always had the better phones. With the w, this was a case of Verizon getting it first and being the beta testers for once like a previous poster said.

I can say that I have pretty good coverage on Sprint, and the wx is oh so nice. Now if they would get EVDO roaming agreements with Verizon like they have with regular voice coverage, I would be all set.
    bit_bucket
    Palm could fix this by simply telling PPCtechs where to fix the code and add the 64MB RAM. Am I annoyed at Verizon and Palm oh yeah, but not enough to give Sprint my money with their coverage in upstate NY. Bottom line is Palm didn't have a clue about WM users and figured we were the same as the PalmOS users who will just wait for the next device. WM users jump trains and move on, form factor or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by bit_bucket View Post
    Dont upgrade. Knowing what you know now; there is a memory problem with the w, so dont buy it. Stick with what you have until something better comes out or jump ship for Sprint. In my experience, Sprint has always had the better phones.
    I think I'm going to "upgrade" anyway.

1) I travel nationwide every week and left Sprint due to poor coverage in too many places. Since switching to Verizon I have had nearly perfect coverage throughout the U.S., Canada, and even the Dominican Republic.

2) I really want off my 600 (no more Garnet for me).

3) I'm not an early adopter. Waiting for a Vzw 700wx would mean waiting for the new phone to be released, and then waiting another x months for the price to be reasonable. That's why I'm looking at the 700w now - with my corporate discount it's priced pretty nicely.
    This poll should be the other way around also....trying Sprint 700wx right now - still fricken slow when you add apps.....not impressed.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    This poll should be the other way around also....trying Sprint 700wx right now - still fricken slow when you add apps.....not impressed.
    One word... and you know exactly what im going to say... "WINDOZE". its bad enough on the computer, let alone what it must be like on a mobile device.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast