1.    #1  
    I didn't see a thread like this, if there is I'll delete this thread. I loved Treocentral's review of the 700wx, I can't wait to get mine. I ordered through retentions and got it for $399, it's added as a 2nd line with my 700p. Can we make this thread a place for 600, 650, 700p owners who have questions, or subsitute apps we can use on the 700wx. I think this will help a lot of people out, mainly me

I've seen the push emai threads, and I am a huge chatter user and want to hear what your guys solution to chatter on the 700wx is.

The best task manager application to really close apps. I used to use an app that would show running apps at the top of the screen (I've been away from Windows Mobile too long)

Also any one handed navigation tools us Palm OS users switching to the 700wx you could recommend.

I hope that we can all help eachother put, and not turn it into a Palm VS Windows Mobile thread, it's a thread to help new 700w/wx owners coming from Palm OS. Treocentral has the best experts here, so I know this will be a great thing for many users.

If the thread needs to be deleted let me know.

I should have mine on Wednesday, being shipped tomorrow overnight
    Jimmie Geddes
    So for push there are a bunch of solutions:

By far the largest program (both in size and functionality) is WebIS's Flexmail 2007. That does imap/idle, full html support, etc. Great if you have tons of email and multiple accounts.

Of course there is the activsync/exchange solution using something like mail2web or 4smartphone.net to host your exchange. I use this as it's mad simple, cheap (free in most cases) and works well.

There is also VGSMail which is a very lite addon program that basically makes Outlook imap/idle capable. Works pretty well.

re: one-hand operation, to be honest I'd say 95% of the OS on the 700wx is one-handed already. If you hold down the "OK" key, it brings up the running programs list and you can close apps one handed. Don't like that you can use MagicButton (free) or AE Button Plus ($7--my favorite program). Just make sure you use WM5 compatible programs.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 09/04/2006 at 09:22 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Malatesta did a great job of answering the email question so I'll try to help with the others.

I switched from a Treo 650 to an 8125 and transitioned very easily. I've been a WM guy for the most part, but HAD to try out the treo. Anyways, for closing of apps - in my experience, I found that letting them sit around in the background actually IMPROVED performance. I used apps like wisbar advance/lite and magic button, but didn't really care for them. Having them in the background was nice because when I needed the program, it would just pop up in an instant.

Don't have a treo 700wx so can't really answer much about that, although WM5 has made many improvements to the one-handedness....
  4.    #4  
    Thanks guys, you are really going to help out a lot of people. I am already downloading the apps you talk about to install on my 700wx when I get it. Thanks again for taking part in this.
    Jimmie Geddes
    How do you turn off the keyboard backlight? I used keyshades and kblightsoff for the 650 & 700p.
    Quote Originally Posted by Younghen View Post
    How do you turn off the keyboard backlight? I used keyshades and kblightsoff for the 650 & 700p.
    that's a good question...I was wondering the same.

I was thinking about asking Bruce the developer of PhoneAlarm if he could do that/add it to PA.

He probably could but would need a bunch of us to post in the "requests" thread in order for him to try. That'd would sweet since it would then work with your Profiles (work/out= off, night/home = on, etc.).

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I used magic button on the 6700 before I got the wx. the 6700 was a lot of stylus using. with the treo being so non-stylus I found ussing my finger to hit the conner of the screen to close a pain in the ****. I use spb pocketplus. I can have my ok button actually close the app or being up the menu to close which ones I want. actually I have it set up to were the ok button is regular and when I hold the ok button instead of the taskmanager it just closes all. this way I can leave some thing running for faster access but able to quickly close all when needed. pocketplus has a free trial as well.
    I love magic button. Works great, hardly a footprint on my device, and if I don't want to "close" the app I can just hit the OK button. I also leave activesync and messaging running to speed up my push mail access.

As for email, I use a free mail2web account for push ability. I have my gmail fwded to the mail2web account, and the exchange-push performance is great, n o issues with it at all, and it is super fast. The only thing I miss about chatter is my AOL mail, which I have to sync manually. But not having my personal email pushed really isn't an issue for me. (AOL does not support fwding email, last I checked, which i swhy I cannot sync with my exchange account)
    as far as push email is concerned, I have found 4smartphone to be the best. it cost money but snycs more than just email. I get contacts, tasks, calendar, email, and all email subfolders synced instantly with ALL my computers and my phone WHENEVER there has been a change on either one. 4smartphone has three different types of service ranging form like $4 - $10 a month. I use the $7 dollar a month plan which comes with a free copy of outlook 2003 and 24/7 phone support.

for those that are intrested there is a 14 day free trial. I must warn you, most don't get to the 14th day without buying. (lol)

cody
    I use PushMail on my 6700-- its a little app that just checks for SMS messages with a certain parameter then tells Pocket Outlook to check the account associated. For example, I have my Gmail set to SMS me everytime I get a new message. PushMail looks for a text message with "From:*@*Subject:" in the text message (this is what Sprint adds to emails that get sent to your phones SMS account) Then it deletes the text message and causes Pocket Outlook to go and check the POP server at googlemail.

It should work on the Treo 700wx
    ...This ain't a phone or a PDA, It's a way of life!
    for all your multimedia needs, it's gotta be Starrwulfe Ltd!
    I posted this as a response to a question about today screens in another thread, but thought it fit here pretty well too.

PocketBreeze and SPB Diary both allow you to choose from a number of tabs:

-appointments
    - contacts
    - meesaging
    - special events
    - tasks
    - notes
    - launching tab (SPB Pocket Plus or iLauncher for example), which is purchased separately

You can choose as many of these or as few as desired. They both offer mucho customizations and are now both adept at one handed use, if desired (D-pad).

Both are very similar, so I would suggest trials of both and make a personal choice.

Of course the primary purpose is to get much better info and function (appointments, for example can be seen for anywhere from 1-31 days and with different colors, notes, layouts, enter from Today screen, etc,...) than one normally gets out of the standard Today screen integration with outlook.

However, your use I have found to be a "bonus". I have Pocket Plus launch icons as a tab in Pocket Breeze. Works great and allows D-pad one hand use of the Pocket Plus icons! I believe SPB diary does the same.

I highly recommend anyone with a PPC phone get one of these programs. Again, note the launch tab, (Pocket plus, iLauncher, etc...) must be purchased separately. This is a "must have" IMHO.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    If you are coming from POS, I recommend you get a Slingbox and load up sling mobile. It's an amazing thing. I watch my dish network box all over the world (still have a 6700 w/wifi).

Also, Pocket Informant is my main critical app. Just as useful as Datebk6.

4smartphone is also essential.
    Or if you have a PC with a TV card built in, you could use ORB to stream not only TV, but turn it into a Tivo, and stream your MP3s, show your pictures, and have access to whatever is on the PC's disk as well. I use it all the time to look at my tivo'd recordings of Family Guy and Dog all the time. I also use it to store important documents I get emailed to me all the time because you can also UPLOAD to your computer from your Treo as well.
    ...This ain't a phone or a PDA, It's a way of life!
    for all your multimedia needs, it's gotta be Starrwulfe Ltd!
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
    If you are coming from POS, I recommend you get a Slingbox and load up sling mobile. It's an amazing thing. I watch my dish network box all over the world (still have a 6700 w/wifi).

Also, Pocket Informant is my main critical app. Just as useful as Datebk6.

4smartphone is also essential.
    Interesting about PI. I had heard great things about it but it was a slow painful experience actually using it on my 6700. I'd be interested to hear what former 6700 owners have to say about the wx speed.

Also, it seemed like my 6700 got slower over time. (Perhaps it was because I kept installing more and more apps). It'll be interesting to see how the wx holds up over time.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    I have been using PI for 2 years on 6600 and love it. It works great and would recommend to anyone.

As for one handed use, I put together some great tools that may help a little:

WM Easy of Use / One Hand Tips Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Interesting about PI. I had heard great things about it but it was a slow painful experience actually using it on my 6700. I'd be interested to hear what former 6700 owners have to say about the wx speed.

Also, it seemed like my 6700 got slower over time. (Perhaps it was because I kept installing more and more apps). It'll be interesting to see how the wx holds up over time.
    While this was sort of true with the older version of PI (2005) they recently released PI 2007 which is dramatically faster. I used Agenda Fusion for the trial, and it was like molassas on my 6700. Good program, but I find for my appointment-heavy job, PI 2007 more than fits the bill.