Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    After I had my account flagged, I dialed *2. When the call connected, there was only silence -- no voice prompts, nothing. I waited 2-3 minutes then hung up. I checked my phone and 20223 had happened.
    Finally got my PRL updated. The email to CS was never returned (nor were the 2 before for other reasons). After a few transfers, talked to a guy who actually knew what he was doing, though he tried to talk me out of it, saying the PRL doesn't do anything for coverage (as some people said in these forums). But at least I have it now!
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiguy View Post
    though he tried to talk me out of it, saying the PRL doesn't do anything for coverage (as some people said in these forums). But at least I have it now!
    then why would thay have an update?
    His explanation was that it does nothing for coverage. It just tells the phone which towers to use when roaming, prioritizing it by the least expensive (to Sprint) to the most expensive, so save the company money on roaming.

I should have asked if our roaming charges go down if we use their preferred towers, but I already know the answer to that.
    There is the potential though for improved EvDO performance:

http://wiki.treocentral.com/index.php/PRL_%26_EvDO

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Just had my 700wx flagged for the PRL update, then hung up, waited a few minutes, and called *2 back. Update went thru perfectly the first time! Glad to see Sprint fixed their updating system...

On another note, I had them flag my 6700 also while they were at it. This is the first time that I was able to get an OTA PRL update on the 6700, it worked perfectly. The process is much nicer on the 6700, it actually said "Programming in progress" in yellow on the Dial Pad, then when it was done, it played a little tone and a bubble popped up at the bottom that the phone was rebooting in "15, 14, 13...etc. seconds)

Maybe this is old, I had never seen it before...
    I don't care what anyone says, I think the PRL Update has not only given me better coverage in my office, but better battery life. It could be the placebo effect, but I don't think so.
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiguy View Post
    I don't care what anyone says, I think the PRL Update has not only given me better coverage in my office, but better battery life. It could be the placebo effect, but I don't think so.
    Not to follow on this "placebo" effect, but my battery life has unusually been longer since the update and I have actually been browsing the web more than I did before, which makes me believe this update did something to it.

Anyone else besides myself and kaiguy notice this?
    Guys...

PLACEBO!!!

I'll tell you why you're getting better battery life (we all are): We all have new batteries and it takes 2-3 weeks of constant charging/discharging to break in the LiON and achieve it's maximum capacity. You'll notice that it'll get better and better and eventually peak sometime soon.

I all but gurantee that's what you guys are noticing.

All the PRL does is help in roaming and maybe, maybe acquire the EvDO signal faster.

It won't give you a better radio signal when in Sprint coverage as that is an automatic function.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    curiously, mine indicate the latest PRL has taken, but I did not initiate it.

Process I've always used in the past:
    1) *2
    2) tell Claire PRL UPDATE
    3) get clueless CS Rep on phone
    4) ask to be transferred to tech support
    5) they ask why
    6) I want a PRL update
    7) they ask what's that?
    8) PLEASE TRANSFER ME TO TECH SUPPORT
    9) they say, okay.
    10) (to tech support) Please flag my account for a PRL Update
    11) hang up, and dial *2 again