Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1.    #1  
    Got my shiny new wx and load my favorite browser opera mobile. there is something wrong as it takes 6-7 seconds to load google when netfront and PIE do it in 1-2. On my 6700 om flew. Have 700w users had trouble with om or is this a 700wx problem? Thanks
  2. #2  
    I installed the trial version yesterday and didnt' like it. I ended up going with PIEPlus and PIE which is incredibly fast on the WX. About twice as fast as my 6700 for whatever reason.

    Oprah did seem much slower than I remembered on my WX compared to the 6700. I'm not sure why.
  3. #3  
    dunno what's different but my Opera 8.6 is as fast and dare I say faster than my 6700. Pages come up instantly and I'm only in a 1 bar area. I've run Tweaks2k2 to optimize my interent, so maybe that helps.

    I don't mind PIE but I use Opera most of the time.

    I also used UPX (UPX4PPC) on Opera to shrink it from 5+mb to 1.8mb.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Oprah did seem much slower than I remembered on my WX compared to the 6700. I'm not sure why.
    Hold up, WM5 supports Oprah? Well damn, you've made the choice easy for me now, I'm definately getting a 700wx.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    Hold up, WM5 supports Oprah? Well damn, you've made the choice easy for me now, I'm definately getting a 700wx.
    read about it here:

    http://www.opera.com/products/mobile.../winmobileppc/

    It's nothing but pure awesome.

    oh, never mind...I get it...Oprah/Opera.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  6.    #6  
    So its working for you malatesta, thats awesome. I'm going to try UPX4PPC and tweaks2k2 and see if that helps. I just can't surf without opera as it is sooooo much better than anything else. I'll post in a couple mins and let you know if it helped.
  7. jlczl's Avatar
    Posts
    905 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    #7  
    Are you all talking about Opera Mini (midlet based) or Opera for PPC (program)? When I use the Opera Mini it is LIGHTNING FAST but the Opera Mobile is just moderately faster than PIE (plus Opera Mini is free while Opera Mobile costs $$$).
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

    Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl View Post
    Are you all talking about Opera Mini (midlet based) or Opera for PPC (program)? When I use the Opera Mini it is LIGHTNING FAST but the Opera Mobile is just moderately faster than PIE (plus Opera Mini is free while Opera Mobile costs $$$).
    Talking about Opera Mobile. The mini is fast b/c of it's using a proxy server.

    I like mobile b/c it can view any site out there and has tabs.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  9. #9  
    I still prefer PIEPlus and regular PIE. Haven't found a site yet that didnt' work for me.
  10.    #10  
    Fantastic, UPX4PPC fixed it!!!! Life is good again, you're awesome Malatesta!
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    dunno what's different but my Opera 8.6 is as fast and dare I say faster than my 6700. Pages come up instantly and I'm only in a 1 bar area. I've run Tweaks2k2 to optimize my interent, so maybe that helps.

    I don't mind PIE but I use Opera most of the time.

    I also used UPX (UPX4PPC) on Opera to shrink it from 5+mb to 1.8mb.
    I can't get the big 5.14 MB opera.dll file to compress at all. Other prgrams are compressing successfully from 66% to 40% of their original size, but Opera 8.6 (the .dll) will not budge. What could i be doing wrong?

    Never mind. Turned out the 700w does not have enough RAM to compress very large files. I downloaded the desktop version and it worked fine.
    Last edited by levinda; 01/02/2007 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Answered My Own Question
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    dunno what's different but my Opera 8.6 is as fast and dare I say faster than my 6700. Pages come up instantly and I'm only in a 1 bar area. I've run Tweaks2k2 to optimize my interent, so maybe that helps.

    I don't mind PIE but I use Opera most of the time.

    I also used UPX (UPX4PPC) on Opera to shrink it from 5+mb to 1.8mb.
    Malatesta,

    Can you explain exactly how to minimize/optimize Opera Mogile using UPX4PPC. I tried it once and did not have any success. I ran the program and it did not compress my file at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by wny1mxo View Post
    Malatesta,

    Can you explain exactly how to minimize/optimize Opera Mogile using UPX4PPC. I tried it once and did not have any success. I ran the program and it did not compress my file at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks
    Check out my last post. I had the same problem and it turns out even the 700wx does not have enough RAM to compress very large files on the treo, sduch as the 5+ MB opera.dll.

    Instead, get the desktop version of UPX and copy the file back and forth to your desktop. I have the 700w, which is even worse, so I could not even compress, say TCPMP, without using the desktop.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by wny1mxo View Post
    Malatesta,

    Can you explain exactly how to minimize/optimize Opera Mogile using UPX4PPC. I tried it once and did not have any success. I ran the program and it did not compress my file at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks
    don't use UPX4PPC for that file as it is too big. Use the desktop/DOS version of UPX (or I think there is one with a Win GUI now).

    I copy the .dll to the PC, UPX it there and then re-copy it back to my device and that will do the job.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    don't use UPX4PPC for that file as it is too big. Use the desktop/DOS version of UPX (or I think there is one with a Win GUI now).

    I copy the .dll to the PC, UPX it there and then re-copy it back to my device and that will do the job.

    Can you direct me to the desktop version that you are refering to. I found something but it does not appear that I downloaded it. If I did I do not know where to locate it or how to use it.

    Thanks
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by wny1mxo View Post
    Can you direct me to the desktop version that you are refering to. I found something but it does not appear that I downloaded it. If I did I do not know where to locate it or how to use it.

    Thanks
    Just read from the 1st post here and a couple after it and it should explain all (that's where I learned about it):
    http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/ppc-6...ur-memory.html

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  17. H_D
    H_D is offline
    H_D's Avatar
    Posts
    573 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    #17  
    Malatesta,will compressing the files improve on how much RAM it takes to run the programs? I have the 700w so every little bit helps.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya Boi D View Post
    Malatesta,will compressing the files improve on how much RAM it takes to run the programs? I have the 700w so every little bit helps.
    UPXing files is nice but has its drawbacks also. It does help save storage space, but when the compressed file is launched, it uses more RAM than it would if not compressed.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsup1o View Post
    UPXing files is nice but has its drawbacks also. It does help save storage space, but when the compressed file is launched, it uses more RAM than it would if not compressed.
    I do not think this is correct at all.

    I run 90% of my programs (including the Palm Threaded SMS) compressed and rarely go below 30mb of RAM. I have never seen nor witnessed this effect myself or by any others. If anything it is using less RAM not more as the file is smaller than it was before. The decompression method is too fast and efficient to affect the memory. I challenge anyone to prove otherwise.

    Furthermore, I can't see the logic behind the notion that it would use more RAM compressed than not.

    (source)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya Boi D
    Malatesta,will compressing the files improve on how much RAM it takes to run the programs? I have the 700w so every little bit helps.
    My expereince has been a solid gain in RAM when using UPX4PPC not a loss.

    Try it on a large program (opera? skype?) and do a side-by-side after a clean soft-reset and look for yourself. It has not ever been documented that it uses more RAM so I DO highly recommend that you use or try this. You can always "roll it back" if it doesn't work.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 01/04/2007 at 11:42 AM.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I do not think this is correct at all.

    I run 90% of my programs (including the Palm Threaded SMS) compressed and rarely go below 30mb of RAM. I have never seen nor witnessed this effect myself or by any others. If anything it is using less RAM not more as the file is smaller than it was before. The decompression method is too fast and efficient to affect the memory. I challenge anyone to prove otherwise.

    Furthermore, I can't see the logic behind the notion that it would use more RAM compressed than not.
    (Apologies to the OP as this is getting a little OT)

    I don't think I will post that if I didn't actually see it happening.

    I didn't do extensive testing on this so there may be apps that you are running that might not see an increase in RAM usage even when it's compressed. The apps I am using, I do see it. It could also be the different options you selected to compress your dlls/exes. Since there is a new version of PocketBreeze, I thought I'll do a quick test.

    I turned off WA2/WAD at startup so it would make the device a tad quicker for this test. Everything else is left the same before and after UPXing Pocketbreeze. The only today plugins enabled are the default dial lookup and PB. After installing the new version of PB and soft reset, the program memory used was around 17.80mb. I soft resetted it a few times to get a more accurate number and the memory used is around 17.75 - 17.80.

    After that, I disabled the PB plugin and UPXed 4 files (2 dlls & 2 exes) for PB with the maximum compression and icons compressed and backup checked. Total compression was down to 554KB from 1009KB. After enabling PB plugin and soft reset, the memory used is around 18.60mb. Again, I soft resetted a few times to see if it is accurate. It was around 18.50 - 18.60.

    To take it one step further, I disabled the plugin, restored the uncompressed dlls/exes, enabled plugin, and soft reset. Sure enough, it was back to the 17.80mb range.

    So yes, I do see it is using more RAM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions