Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if it is? If so, can the 700p be converted?
  2. #2  
    They have different screens, but I wish some-one would give it a try. Also I'm sure the P only had 32MB SD RAM, while the WX has 64.

    Surur
  3. #3  
    The p has 128mb and I believe that 64mb of it is available, like the wx. I believe the screens are the same as well. It just that WM5 does not have a setting for 320x320, which is why its at the lower resolution.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  4. #4  
    It probably won't work.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    They have different screens, but I wish some-one would give it a try. Also I'm sure the P only had 32MB SD RAM, while the WX has 64
    surur's right. different screen & memory. the 700p shares the memory configuration of the 700w not the 700wx.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
  6. #6  
    and it would be much easier to ebay your 700p and get the w/wx.
  7. #7  
    Does anyone have the 700WX rom? I would try it.
    I have a lot to say but I dont want to get banned...AGAIN!!
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    surur's right. different screen & memory. the 700p shares the memory configuration of the 700w not the 700wx.
    Where is this coming from? The p has 64MB RAM and you should be able to black-border the 80 pixels to get 240x240. Am I missing something?
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Where is this coming from? The p has 64MB RAM. Am I missing something?
    not really, the 64MB available is the flash chip, it's only used for storing programs & dbs.

    The 32MB RAM chip is where the programs execute, (except for ROM items, they execute-in-place I think) and that's split up into a 12MB heap and a 20MB dbcache.
  10. #10  
    Assuming the same pixel density, here's what a 240*240 image would look like on the 700p's screen:

    Attached Images Attached Images
  11. #11  
    And after they finish tweaking the ROM file it will look like this:



    The WM emulator runs quite happily in 320x320.

    Surur
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    not really, the 64MB available is the flash chip, it's only used for storing programs & dbs.

    The 32MB RAM chip is where the programs execute, (except for ROM items, they execute-in-place I think) and that's split up into a 12MB heap and a 20MB dbcache.
    Resco Exporer on my 700p tells me both the ROM and the RAM are 64MB...
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    And after they finish tweaking the ROM file it will look like this:



    The WM emulator runs quite happily in 320x320.

    Surur

    Good to know, but I highly doubt that most apps will work nicely.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Good to know, but I highly doubt that most apps will work nicely.
    Actually the majority of apps work well (240x320 is 320x240 in landscape after all). Its mainly games which wont work, and apps that are hard coded.

    If you download the stand-alone emulator you can enter any resolution you want, and load programs into it and see how they do. Its wont be as much of a problem as you might think it would be.

    Surur
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Resco Exporer on my 700p tells me both the ROM and the RAM are 64MB...

    I doubt thats right. Its probably looking at the user-accessible flash and the OS rom flash (=64+64=128 Mb flash).

    Your DBCache and dynamic ram is the numbers which would add up to your SDRAM.

    Surur
  16.    #16  
    I assumed the memory was 1 module and partitioned to 64/64.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Resco Exporer on my 700p tells me both the ROM and the RAM are 64MB...
    From Palm's pluggedin page (you need to be registered):

    "The first Treo running Palm OS 5.4.9, the Treo 700p is full of exciting upgrades. Starting with the Palm OS 5.4.9 update, which provides improved NVFS memory management, the Treo 700p is also loaded with 128MB (64MB NAND + 64MB NOR) of built-in flash memory and 32MB of DRAM. The execute-in-place Treo 700p smartphone System Image (ROM), located in the device’s 64MB NOR Flash, frees up even more space for users and developers, allowing for 60MB of nonvolatile memory available to users."

    I was a little off before, the 32MB are split into 22MB dbcache and 10MB Heap according to the information on that same page.

    But yeah, If you flash the 700p you'd basically get a 320x320 700w.
  18.    #18  
    Thanks for that info. So this means if you do the opposite and you turn a 700wx to POS then you will have a more stable 700p? Mine crashes every day.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode View Post
    Thanks for that info. So this means if you do the opposite and you turn a 700wx to POS then you will have a more stable 700p? Mine crashes every day.
    IMO, only marginally more stable. Since the 700p has so much dbcache and heap (it is top-tier in this regard), and it doesn't multitask except for a few choice apps, the problems are more likely the fault of bad software (and not necessarily 3rd party) rather than memory contraints.

Posting Permissions