Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Over the course of the next week or so, and especially over the next couple of days, I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread and answering any and all questions that you folks post here.

I'll keep the first post updated with answers and I'll likely post a summation article after things wind down.

So: I'm holding a 700wx now, what do you want to know?

The article, with a corny little video, is [url="http://treocentral.com/content/Stories/895-1.htm"]up now[/url

Edits:
    First round of questions answered in this post
    anothe Q and A post
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    Over the course of the next week or so, and especially over the next couple of days, I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread and answering any and all questions that you folks post here.

I'll keep the first post updated with answers and I'll likely post a summation article after things wind down.

So: I'm holding a 700wx now, what do you want to know?

The article, with a corny little video, is up now

Great work! I can not wait to get mine. Actually can you post a pic with a different today screen pic? I just want to get an idea of how the screen looks with a different pic instead of palms. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by NoLimitz80; 09/02/2006 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Question
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    In the TC review it says that there's no threaded SMS or SprintTV. I came across the 700wx brochure PDF posted by Palm http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar..._Treo700wx.pdf, and it says it DOES have both threaded SMS (the 4th bullet under 'Stay on top of email, even out of the office' on Page 2 on the left) and SprintTV (the last bullet under 'Enjoy rich multimedia' on Page 2). Is the brochure incorrect?
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Also, on the memory side, when compared the brochure PDF for 700wx with the spec for 700w http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...00w/specs.html, they are the same? (i.e. 128MB (60MB user accessible) non-volatile) I know there are multiple threads in the 700w/wx forum about the increased memory available for 700wx. Am I reading it incorrectly? Please pardon my ignorance if so.

BTW, thanks for the QUICK 700wx review!!!!
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    The "memory" is the same, where memory is "user usable," or basically for file storage. The RAM is increased, about tripled, for multitasking.

There is no threaded sms or Sprint TV. I'mn not saying the brochure is wrong, but the 700wx DOES NOT have threaded SMS or Sprint TV. You make your own judgement on the brochure

Just FYI- The Sprint 700wx is almost exactly the same as the 700w. Except the memory, which is obvious, and some other subtle differences:

-No MMS, This baffles me, but true nonetheless
    -The today screen search now has an option of either Google or Palm search.
    -There's an option in Programs to allow you to switch the CPU conection from USB serial or USB RNDIS. No idea what this means.
    -I found a new program on the device called "on demand," butit turned out to be "handmark express" with a few bells and whistles. Its free, but so is express now.
    I find the system volume (ringers, system sounds) to be a little louder now. Not much, but enough to notice.
    I noticed in the review you talked about the search on the today page not being google. If you go into the Today preferences, you get a choice in setting the search to Sprint or Google.

A question on modemlink/dun. I was expecting to be able to use bluetooth dun because every WM5 device I've seen that had a modemlink or similar app could do bluetooth dun. As far as I can tell this is USB only. This is a real deal breaker for me since I need to use it with a Mac and I can't get it recognized with bluetooth or USB.

Anyone been able to do anything with using it as a modem with a Mac?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    I noticed in the review you talked about the search on the today page not being google. If you go into the Today preferences, you get a choice in setting the search to Sprint or Google.
    Thats exactly what I said, on the Verizon 700w the option was not there.

Not sure about the bluetooth DUN w/a mac. I would search this, andany other wm5 phone forum you can find and see if anyone's gotten it done yet. The process might be the same w/this phone.
    PICTURE MAIL INFO:

On the Sprint website it states "Sprint picture mail included" or something to that effect. I will try to explain for the newbies to wm5:

This phone will not have a "picture mail" program or MMS like other phones. In order to use picture mail out-of-the-box you will need to set up an email account in outlook, and use that to send the pics. I AM NOT SURE how to email a cell phone, but I would ASSUME it is "mobilenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com). You can use the sprint email account that they give you if you want (xxxxxxxxx@sprintpcs.com) or any other email address you can throw in outlook. When people send you pics it will arrive in text messages as a link to a web page. From this page you can view/download pictures or play/download media. Very quick and easy.
    What AKU is it? You can find this under Start>Settings> System>About Its the OS build number (e.g. OS 5.1.195 (build 14957.2.X.X)

And under messaging, is there a goto option, i.e. If you tap Messaging > menu > IS there a Go to Sub menu?

Surur

A question on modemlink/dun. I was expecting to be able to use bluetooth dun because every WM5 device I've seen that had a modemlink or similar app could do bluetooth dun. As far as I can tell this is USB only. This is a real deal breaker for me since I need to use it with a Mac and I can't get it recognized with bluetooth or USB.

try this modem script.

http://www.box.net/public/zxjp6ummyz

also check out this web page. got my sda w/ wm5 working.

http://justinblanton.com/2006/01/mac...luetooth-modem
    Last edited by coorspate; 09/03/2006 at 07:01 PM.
    thx for the quick review septimus and for this thread!

can u tell me about the EVDO? Is it the same as with the sprint 700p where data pauses for voice calls so voice calls don't get pushed to voice mail when data is moving, or is it the talked about updated evdo where data and voice can move at the same time?

Also recently, sprint updated their evdo wireless card for laptop use in which the software is supposed to be programed in a way that makes it faster. As a result it's a more expensive card that sprint is selling for about $99 with service as opposed to $49 with service for the old card. Does the evdo on the 700wx have this updated evdo techology?
    tia.
    [QUOTE=Littlepat;1077258]
    -There's an option in Programs to allow you to switch the CPU conection from USB serial or USB RNDIS. No idea what this means.
    QUOTE]

The 700w also has the USB switcher after the April update. RNDIS is like "smart USB" while serial is like "dumb USB" (like a printer connection).

ActiveSynch is designed for RNDIS connection, but some firewalls and corporate security measures gave AS 4.x problems connecting. So they put in the option to switch to serial, so as not to have those issues. For exaxple, I can not synch to my work laptop with RNDIS, but it will allow serial.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    [QUOTE=levinda;1077349]
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    QUOTE]

The 700w also has the USB switcher after the April update. RNDIS is like "smart USB" while serial is like "dumb USB" (like a printer connection).

ActiveSynch is designed for RNDIS connection, but some firewalls and corporate security measures gave AS 4.x problems connecting. So they put in the option to switch to serial, so as not to have those issues. For exaxple, I can not synch to my work laptop with RNDIS, but it will allow serial.

I tried RNDIS... a thome ZOnealarm wants to know if it should be in the trusted zone or trhe internet zone...

Does it need to be in the trusted zone to have full access like a router or would the internet zone suffice?

Mike
    Maybe this is a stupid question, maybe not...

Is there anyway to navigate with the 5 way buttons to get to the LIST headings? The only way I see to do it is by tpuching the screen.

By list headings I mean the dropdown for folders in File Explorer... or Notes.. where you select the folder you want to be working in... The area with the light blue background....

Is there a way to get to this with the 5 way somehow??

Thanks...

Mike
  15.    #15  
    First of all, thank the Lords of Kobol that we got vBulletin upgraded. Multiquote, here I come!

Quote Originally Posted by NoLimitz80 View Post
    Actually can you post a pic with a different today screen pic?
    Will do. I have my 700w set to the grey/black theme that I found here on the TC boards. I'll link to it / put up screenshots in the full review.

Quote Originally Posted by webedc View Post
    In the TC review it says that there's no threaded SMS or SprintTV. I came across the 700wx brochure PDF posted by Palm http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar..._Treo700wx.pdf, and it says it DOES have both threaded SMS (the 4th bullet under 'Stay on top of email, even out of the office' on Page 2 on the left) and SprintTV (the last bullet under 'Enjoy rich multimedia' on Page 2). Is the brochure incorrect?
    must be.

Quote Originally Posted by webedc View Post
    Also, on the memory side, when compared the brochure PDF for 700wx with the spec for 700w http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...00w/specs.html, they are the same? (i.e. 128MB (60MB user accessible) non-volatile) I know there are multiple threads in the 700w/wx forum about the increased memory available for 700wx. Am I reading it incorrectly? Please pardon my ignorance if so.
    The way that they list memory is a tad strange - they seem to oversimplify it in the documents. I assumed with the 700w it was because they didn't want to draw attention to the anemic Program Memory .. it may be that they still don't really want to with the better 700wx out.

-No MMS, This baffles me, but true nonetheless
    -The today screen search now has an option of either Google or Palm search.

I find the system volume (ringers, system sounds) to be a little louder now. Not much, but enough to notice.
    Thanks for helping to answer questions, Littlepat. Regarding the above:

- Sprint can't handle mms. Pah.
    - REALLY?!? Dang - mine doesn't seem to have the option to switch it! Under Today prefs. the Option button is greyed out for Web Search. Am I missing something? This difference plus the fact that the "My Treo" app doesn't work seems to point to the possibility that I don't have the final ROM. I'll look into it.
    - I haven't noticed a significant difference in volume yet, but I'll look into that as well.

So far, no. There is an option for "Serial" in the modem link program, but I'm assuming that's not bluetooth. I very much want to get bluetooth dun working, but I'm not optimistic. The Modem Link software requires a desktop client - it looks to be the same client that sprint uses for all their power vision apps. I'll try it get it figured out before my review, but I wouldn't hold your breath on bluetoth dun.

PICTURE MAIL INFO:

On the Sprint website it states "Sprint picture mail included" or something to that effect. I will try to explain for the newbies to wm5:

This phone will not have a "picture mail" program or MMS like other phones. In order to use picture mail out-of-the-box you will need to set up an email account in outlook, and use that to send the pics. I AM NOT SURE how to email a cell phone, but I would ASSUME it is "mobilenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com). You can use the sprint email account that they give you if you want (xxxxxxxxx@sprintpcs.com) or any other email address you can throw in outlook. When people send you pics it will arrive in text messages as a link to a web page. From this page you can view/download pictures or play/download media. Very quick and easy.
    This is all correct. I had assumed that there would be an uploading program similar to what's available on the Sprint Treo 650 - one that uploads pics to Sprint's servers and then returns a link to that for you. As of yet I haven't discovered it - the only way I can figure to get photos out is to email them as Littlepat describes.

Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    What AKU is it? You can find this under Start>Settings> System>About Its the OS build number (e.g. OS 5.1.195 (build 14957.2.X.X)

And under messaging, is there a goto option, i.e. If you tap Messaging > menu > IS there a Go to Sub menu?

Surur
    OS 5.1.195 (Build 14929.2.2.1) . I'll be interested to hear if others have a newer version given the differences I mentioned above.

No Goto in messages. Pah.

Quote Originally Posted by aacnyc View Post
    can u tell me about the EVDO? Is it the same as with the sprint 700p where data pauses for voice calls so voice calls don't get pushed to voice mail when data is moving, or is it the talked about updated evdo where data and voice can move at the same time?

Also recently, sprint updated their evdo wireless card for laptop use in which the software is supposed to be programed in a way that makes it faster. As a result it's a more expensive card that sprint is selling for about $99 with service as opposed to $49 with service for the old card. Does the evdo on the 700wx have this updated evdo techology?
    tia.
    Unfortunately, the only other EVDO device I have on hand is the 700w. I'll be doing a lot of broadband speed tests for my review - Have to find a spot with better signal than my home to do that.

I don't believe that the EVDO is the "updated" version, by which I think you're referring to Rev A? Still, very speedy!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeRadio View Post
    Maybe this is a stupid question, maybe not...

Is there anyway to navigate with the 5 way buttons to get to the LIST headings? The only way I see to do it is by tpuching the screen.

By list headings I mean the dropdown for folders in File Explorer... or Notes.. where you select the folder you want to be working in... The area with the light blue background....

Is there a way to get to this with the 5 way somehow??
    Not a stupid question AT ALL. That's actually one of the first things I tried out. Sad to say, no way to get to those dropdown menus via 5-way. no "go to" in the menu, no way to hit them just moving the focus around with the 5-way.
    Not that I know up, only the up softkey (which with the rather flat file system in PocketPC is not that much of a handicap). What I really would like is a way to change the sort order (date, size, name) without touching the screen.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    OS 5.1.195 (Build 14929.2.2.1) . I'll be interested to hear if others have a newer version given the differences I mentioned above.

No Goto in messages. Pah.
    My HP 6915 has build OS 5.1.195 (Build 14957.2.3.1), so you have AKU 2.2, not AKU 2.3. Palm missed an opportunity there.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    My HP 6915 has build OS 5.1.195 (Build 14957.2.3.1), so you have AKU 2.2, not AKU 2.3. Palm missed an opportunity there.

Surur
    Yup. It was listed on that site with the specs that it had aku 2.5 (14967).

Guess we'll get it in a rom update. At least that explains why we can't navigate the folders via menu in Outlook.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    EVDO Rev A - not in the 700wx and will probably not be in any phones until sometime next year (probably around Q2 based on other forums I have read). Laptop cards are the only devices that will have Rev A capability in the near future.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    EVDO Rev A - not in the 700wx and will probably not be in any phones until sometime next year (probably around Q2 based on other forums I have read). Laptop cards are the only devices that will have Rev A capability in the near future.
    Exactly.

Though I do believe this has the latest chip set (though probably not the one that is uprgradable, there is one out there though) and hence it is probably better tweaked for EvDO. This is why I believe it's so fast with data...seriously, it's faster than the 6700 (at least it sure feels it) when surfing the net, streaming, etc.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast