Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    I think you wrong (at least partly wrong). You can indeed assign any letter on the keyboard to a favorite. So you can do something like type H for dialing home.

What you can't do is assign a key to anything other than a phone number. The favorites on the Palm OS Treos support phone numbers, apps, and weblinks. On the WM5 Treos its only phone numbers.
    He said "shortcuts" so I assumed he meant programs. Speed dials are by default on the today screen, so he wouldn't have missed that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    He said "shortcuts" so I assumed he meant programs. Speed dials are by default on the today screen, so he wouldn't have missed that.
    On my Q, only the numbers 0-9 could hold phone numbers and there was no way to do URLs or Programs. On the T650 I can assign numbers, programs or URLs to a key as long as the program is in the main memory.

I just don't want to have to play with three drop down menus to get to view some weather radar or look at my email.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    no but it has MobiTV which is not only similar but better (more live tv) for the same price ($10/month).

is it worth it? depends on how attached to Palm OS you are. I have no problems in saying this is the best WM5/phone combo out there though. but it's up to you to decide if it's worth it.

Malatesta - Is MobiTV available through Sprint or only through the MobiTV's Website?

Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprinttreo View Post
    Malatesta - Is MobiTV available through Sprint or only through the MobiTV's Website?

Thank you!
    Don't forget that Slingbox has a mobile client for PPC too.
    http://www.slingmedia.com/us/
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprinttreo View Post

Thank you!
    It's actually Handango:

found here

And Sling is better but you have to do the inital outlay of $150-200 (depending on sales). Remember, if you go the Sling route, buy it before the 16th as they're giving away a free Sling Mobile codes ($30 value).

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    Well, it's a combination of that and the capability of the cell site equipment. Verizion have recently added the capability for call control data to multiplex with data, but (much as with GSM) you can only be active in data or voice one at a time. The enhancement only prevents call presentation from being blocked during data use as it is with CDMA now.
    Thanks. I recently read that regarding Sprint as well and as a 700p user on Sprints network I can attest to it, data will 'pause and the voice call will come in, it's a great improvement. I think it is only on EVDO enabled phones (as opposed to the whole network) because I dont experience it on my 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasondeno View Post
    One of the things i really like about my t650 that was noticably absent from my Q was that I can map shortcuts to the keys on the keyboard. By holding down the H key for a few seconds, it'd call home. D calls my Dad. C brings up the Camera and W loads the local weather radar into Blazer. I've always thought that it made a lot of sense to use the 30 or so buttons available on the front of the device to do things rather than burrowing thru menus constantly.

Please tell me I can still do this on the 700wx!
    Here is an interesting option. how about using voice command to activate that application that you want. I saw this in the mobile FAQ http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=103438

""Quote:
    Originally Posted by bhthenn from another forum
    I don't know if anybody has ever posted this, but I thought it was pretty cool. I couldn't find any other way to do this.

I was wanting to use Voice Command to open a specific web site. For example I wanted to say "Open Weather" and it would go straight to my local forecast on www.weather.com.

To do it I:
    1. Opened internet explorer, found my local forecast and saved it as a favorite.
    2. Opened Windows Explorer and copied the internet shortcut I had created from the Windows\Favorites folder and pasted it in the Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder.
    3. I renamed the shortcut to "Weather"

I can now use Voice Command to go directly to my forecast. Obiously this could be done with any website I visit on a regular basis (like ORB). I suppose if I create enough my programs folder will look pretty full, but with Voice Command I don't really care so much.

Sorry if this is common knowledge, but I searched everywhere on this forum and couldn't find anything on creating internet shortcuts. ""

8.    #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by jasondeno View Post
    One of the things i really like about my t650 that was noticably absent from my Q was that I can map shortcuts to the keys on the keyboard. By holding down the H key for a few seconds, it'd call home. D calls my Dad. C brings up the Camera and W loads the local weather radar into Blazer. I've always thought that it made a lot of sense to use the 30 or so buttons available on the front of the device to do things rather than burrowing thru menus constantly.

Please tell me I can still do this on the 700wx!
    Looks like this has been answered. I agree that it would be GREAT if we could assign these buttons to apps - would make up for what a pain it is to get to apps not on your start menu

Quote Originally Posted by sohoclius View Post
    Will the blackberry connect feature be available for the 700wx? Will any Windows Mobile phones have the blackberry connect feature? I notice on blackberry's website that the phones in UK have blackberry connect for windows mobile but not here. The reason I need this is because our company will still support Blackberries and I know that I can use outlook mobile for the same feature.
    Not sure, but doubtful. There's Good and Exchange push, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Music View Post
    To navigate email folders, you can repeatedly push left on the 5-way.
    Huh? When I push left on the 5 way it just cycles through my different email accounts / text messages. if you found a trick to get to those dropdown menus that's HUGE! More detail?
    I just want to absolutely clear about an answer you gave above in this thread because it makes my decision to upgrade and to which model absolutely simple.

The 700wx out of the box will work as a tethered modem with no additional charges beyond a basic $15 per month power vision?
    Hopefully someone can answer me this. What is the max size SD card that will work in the 700wx? I know Palm says 2gb. On another forums a member said he got a 4gb to work but the guy did not seem to reliable. Just because he was putting down his bro who has the 700w and how the 700wx is so much more powerful. So anyways hopefully some1 that has tested a 4gb could tell me if it worked or not. Thanks much!
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Hey guys...

I read all of this thread and listened to your recent podcast covering the 700WX. In it, you mention DUN and how simple it is. You also mention some software for your laptop. I checked the disk that came with my 700WX and there's nothing on it that I can find.

It seems like DUN should be very simple, but I can't make it work. I've set the phone to USB and hit "Activate", but I must be missing a step on the laptop. Do you have some simple "Step by Step" instructions for this?

Thanks,

Bob
    septimus,

thx again for all the hard work in answering all our questions.

- On the WX, in explorer would u be able to play a video clip, like for instance ur pod cast of the 700wx. It seems to be one of the things I can't do on my palm version.

- Also, does explorer have 'lil' shortcuts like hitting the space bar to go directly to the url when viewing a web page. 'Small' things that make browsing on the device easier.

again, tia.
    - I just tried to listen to a news program on my xm radio account online, from my 700p which uses blazer as a browser. I got a message saying I could not, because my web browser does not support iframes.
    I don't know what iframes are but does the version of explorer on the 700wx support iframes?
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thelizardman View Post
    I just want to absolutely clear about an answer you gave above in this thread because it makes my decision to upgrade and to which model absolutely simple.

The 700wx out of the box will work as a tethered modem with no additional charges beyond a basic $15 per month power vision?

No, I believe you need to have a PAM (phone as modem) plan - 39.99 or you will be charged per kb. A good question would be, if you have a PAM plan, do you also need a vision plan? I would think a quick phone call to CS or a quick email to eCare could clear that right up
    Quote Originally Posted by thelizardman View Post

it's a risk. get the software PdaNet and it'll bypass Sprint's PAM setup and just use your Vision connection...AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $this$ $avoids$ $any$ $extra$ $charges$.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  16.    #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by NoLimitz80 View Post
    Hopefully someone can answer me this. What is the max size SD card that will work in the 700wx? I know Palm says 2gb. On another forums a member said he got a 4gb to work but the guy did not seem to reliable. Just because he was putting down his bro who has the 700w and how the 700wx is so much more powerful. So anyways hopefully some1 that has tested a 4gb could tell me if it worked or not. Thanks much!
    2 gigs is the spec'ed max size, but some (not all) of the 4 gig cards work. Basically you have to do a bunch of research first.

The 4gig SD card that the Treocentral store works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bmargolis View Post
    Hey guys...

I read all of this thread and listened to your recent podcast covering the 700WX. In it, you mention DUN and how simple it is. You also mention some software for your laptop. I checked the disk that came with my 700WX and there's nothing on it that I can find.

It seems like DUN should be very simple, but I can't make it work. I've set the phone to USB and hit "Activate", but I must be missing a step on the laptop. Do you have some simple "Step by Step" instructions for this?

Thanks,

Bob
    I'll post a step-by-step in the wiki. Briefly, though, it sounds like you haven't installed the desktop client?

Quote Originally Posted by aacnyc View Post
    septimus,

thx again for all the hard work in answering all our questions.

- On the WX, in explorer would u be able to play a video clip, like for instance ur pod cast of the 700wx. It seems to be one of the things I can't do on my palm version.

- Also, does explorer have 'lil' shortcuts like hitting the space bar to go directly to the url when viewing a web page. 'Small' things that make browsing on the device easier.

again, tia.
    PIE will open window media player to play movies.

Actually, the way that PIE handles scrolling and the address bar is a bit of a pain. If you have opt+send set to go to IE, hitting it while in IE will take you to the URL bar. Otherwise the annoying thing is that scrolling always goes through each link instead of the scroll down to scroll, scroll right to go though links on Blazer.

Quote Originally Posted by aacnyc View Post
    - I just tried to listen to a news program on my xm radio account online, from my 700p which uses blazer as a browser. I got a message saying I could not, because my web browser does not support iframes.
    I don't know what iframes are but does the version of explorer on the 700wx support iframes?
    I don't think so... but I thought there was some sort of special Windows Mobile page for xm?
    copied from my post in the review thread:

"
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Thanks for the reviews. Questions and comments:

I keep reading about how the 700wx has DUN capabilities, right out of the box, but I've seen no mention of Sprint's $60 (if I remember correctly) monthly charge for dial-up networking.

Does that not apply to the 700wx, for some reason?
    I just spoke to reps at two local Sprint PCS stores and they both said that there's (what I call) a glitch which does not allow an account to have BOTH, Phone-as-Modem and PCS Vision plans.

Again, these Sprint PCS employees said that no single account can have both Phone-as-Modem and PCS Vision services associated with it.

I asked the first rep (I called two different stores) if this glitch was being worked on. He said he guessed so.

The second rep. confirmed the existence of this glitch, but went on to say (get this) that one could simply get the PCS Vision service without purchasing the phone-as-modem plan... but still use the phone as a modem without incurring additional fees and charges.

Take that for whatever it's worth, but that is definitely what she said."
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    Looks like this has been answered. I agree that it would be GREAT if we could assign these buttons to apps - would make up for what a pain it is to get to apps not on your start menu

Not sure, but doubtful. There's Good and Exchange push, though.

Huh? When I push left on the 5 way it just cycles through my different email accounts / text messages. if you found a trick to get to those dropdown menus that's HUGE! More detail?
    Septimus, you are correct, I was just cycling the accounts. Sorry for the false hope!
  19.    #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    copied from my post in the review thread:

"

I just spoke to reps at two local Sprint PCS stores and they both said that there's (what I call) a glitch which does not allow an account to have BOTH, Phone-as-Modem and PCS Vision plans.

Again, these Sprint PCS employees said that no single account can have both Phone-as-Modem and PCS Vision services associated with it.

I asked the first rep (I called two different stores) if this glitch was being worked on. He said he guessed so.

The second rep. confirmed the existence of this glitch, but went on to say (get this) that one could simply get the PCS Vision service without purchasing the phone-as-modem plan... but still use the phone as a modem without incurring additional fees and charges.

Take that for whatever it's worth, but that is definitely what she said."
    I didn't get told anything about the glitch, but I was told by a rep that there wouldn't be any charges. I hesitated to put anything up in either of my reviews (or here, heck) because I figured it was too good to be true. if it is, then I'll do a little dance and change my attitude from the 700wx being better than the 700p for me to it being better period.
    From what I understand it's not a glitch, but that if you have a Phone-As-Modem plan it includes using Vision on the device itself. This is why it won't let you put both on there.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!