Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks for the reply. Unless I'm doing something wrong, when I hold the stylus over the "Storage Card" folder, I get a rename and a delete but no format. Delete seems to delete files on the card.

Since it sounds like you have a Mac (I use a MacBook Pro), have you tried PDAnet? I know this is for windows primarily, but I was looking at their website it sounds like this might enable bluetooth dun. It might be one way to get around the lack of it on the 700wx.

Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    There are no stupid questions when it comes to a new and unfamiliar device.

In the File Explorer, you can hold the stylus down over the storage card "folder" and one of the context options is "format"
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by adrecord View Post
    septimus,

Thank you so much for your answers. A follow-up to one of your answers. You said that you use the 700wx as a modem with the laptop. I did this with my 600 using PDANet. From what I've heard, that feature is now available without PDANet, but it costs $40 per month. Can u shed any light on this?

Thanks,
    Andy
    on the 700wx, it works without any extra software. Sprint also won't charge extra for you to use it - although they have in the past gone after people for abusing it. As long as it's not your sole method of getting online, you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Unless I'm doing something wrong, when I hold the stylus over the "Storage Card" folder, I get a rename and a delete but no format. Delete seems to delete files on the card.
    that IS weird. In the file manager, I can either hold the stylus down on "Storage Folder" or hold down the center button on it and get a big old context meny with "Cut, Copy, Rename, Delete, Format"... I wonder if it's some 3rd party soft... DOH. It totally is. Interesting. Odd.

I guess that means you best buy Resco Explorer (worth it) or format it on your PC.

Since it sounds like you have a Mac (I use a MacBook Pro), have you tried PDAnet? I know this is for windows primarily, but I was looking at their website it sounds like this might enable bluetooth dun. It might be one way to get around the lack of it on the 700wx.
    I've considered it, it's on the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by gjlowe View Post
    Ok, my burning question is this: I have a Treo 650 on Sprint, and I would label it (rather generously I might add) somewhat unstable. I find it crashes almost every time I run Chatteremail and Verichat at the same time. So, that said, one of the most important factors for me is stability. how does the stability of the Treo 700wx compare to the 700p?
    I'm sure you're question is genuine, but it's apples and cucumbers. You're talking about combining two applications that won't even run on WM5... and one of them not even officially on a 700P. My best guess is that any improvement to WX stability would depend upon how much memory was a cause of instability in the W. The P... well, that just suffers from running Garnet (still). Maybe someday someone will bother to bring an OS with full memory protection and threading (that isn't WM and knows how to work like a Palm).

Just my $.02
    Quote Originally Posted by aacnyc View Post
    From what I have read, this is a limitation of CDMA only with the existing hardware.
    Well, it's a combination of that and the capability of the cell site equipment. Verizion have recently added the capability for call control data to multiplex with data, but (much as with GSM) you can only be active in data or voice one at a time. The enhancement only prevents call presentation from being blocked during data use as it is with CDMA now.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by burger510
    when using the sd wifi card on the 700wx and connected to a home lan, can the phone receive and make calls? also, will the 700wx stay connected to the internet lan when left idle (lets say that i wanted to leave an instant messenger program running all day when at home connected to my home lan).

You can make and receive calls, but it's a little ..odd. There's a warning that pops up letting you know that there can be interference between the two, and I have experienced some weird things now and then - but nothing I can pin down just yet.

It idles out but connects pretty quickly.

- is there a setting where you can set it so it wont idle out? play around with the sd wifi question and lemme know your experiences. thanks
    Septimus... Thank you for the replys....

1-As far as using Sprint COnnection manager.. I didnt engage Modem Link... In fact noplace did it say to! Once I did that, the unit was recognized right when I connected it, and now works great as a modem for my laptop....

Too bad it doesn't see, this can be done via blueooth can it? There was no bluetooth selection in mode, linlk.

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    Over the course of the next week or so, and especially over the next couple of days, I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread and answering any and all questions that you folks post here.

I'll keep the first post updated with answers and I'll likely post a summation article after things wind down.

So: I'm holding a 700wx now, what do you want to know?

The article, with a corny little video, is [url="http://treocentral.com/content/Stories/895-1.htm"]up now[/url

Edits:
    First round of questions answered in this post
    anothe Q and A post
    I searched for "infrared" on every page, so I don't think i'm repeating anyone else's question:

In the video, the speaker mentioned that dial-up networking was an option via "usb" and "infrared." Did the speaker mean "Bluetooth" instead of "infrared?"

Thanks, in advance.

EDITED for grammar, baby!
    Last edited by west3man; 09/06/2006 at 10:14 AM.
    Interesting discussion,

here a link for someone bart98065 that claims to be a beta tested for the new device not very impressed with new treo

http://mytreo.net/archives/2006/09/s....html#morethat
    Quote Originally Posted by pw7fam View Post
    Interesting discussion,

here a link for someone bart98065 that claims to be a beta tested for the new device not very impressed with new treo

http://mytreo.net/archives/2006/09/s....html#morethat
    After reading this beta tester's comments, I'd say he has missed the whole point of WM 5.0. The thing he hates, non-uniform soft key commands between programs IS WHY WM5.0 is much better than WM 2003, and why the 1 handed operation is much closer to PALM OS now.

I think sending send SMS and dialing and other messaging are actually easier than on 700P, IF you take time to learn the shortcuts, The thing about WM 5.0 is there is often multiple ways to do something and you need to learn what is best for you.

As I have the Verizon 700w (with only 32 MB RAM ), I can not comment on picture mail, since we have a separate MMS mailbox on the 700w to handle that. (not that I ever used it)
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
  10.    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I searched for "infrared" on every page, so I don't think i'm repeating anyone else's question:

In the video, the speaker mentioned that dial-up networking was an option via "usb" and "infrared." Was the speaker mean "Bluetooth" instead of "infrared?"

Thanks, in advance.
    Nope, I meant infrared. haven't actually TRIED the infrared yet, though, so I can't say it works. Bluetooth DUN looks to be unsupported.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeRadio View Post
    How can you easily delete the ENTIRE database.. make it empy.. of lets say Contacts (or calendar or tasks).
    Here's how I do it:

1. Use Sprite backup to backup the Treo onto an SD card, but uncheck the personal database(s) you want to delete.

2. Do a hard reset on the Treo, and then *228-1.

3. Restore the backup. The database(s) will be empty.

A PITA procedure, but it works.

CM
    One of the things i really like about my t650 that was noticably absent from my Q was that I can map shortcuts to the keys on the keyboard. By holding down the H key for a few seconds, it'd call home. D calls my Dad. C brings up the Camera and W loads the local weather radar into Blazer. I've always thought that it made a lot of sense to use the 30 or so buttons available on the front of the device to do things rather than burrowing thru menus constantly.

Please tell me I can still do this on the 700wx!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasondeno View Post
    One of the things i really like about my t650 that was noticably absent from my Q was that I can map shortcuts to the keys on the keyboard. By holding down the H key for a few seconds, it'd call home. D calls my Dad. C brings up the Camera and W loads the local weather radar into Blazer. I've always thought that it made a lot of sense to use the 30 or so buttons available on the front of the device to do things rather than burrowing thru menus constantly.

Please tell me I can still do this on the 700wx!
    Nope, but I can concur that this shortcut is DEFINITELY missed! But like I said earlier, Start key- P - (the first letter of the program) brings up that program, minus a few presses on the D pad if necessary. The difference is only a second or two, so it doesn't kill me, but this was a PALM customization that I was surprised they didn't bring over for the 700w's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    Nope, but I can concur that this shortcut is DEFINITELY missed! But like I said earlier, Start key- P - (the first letter of the program) brings up that program, minus a few presses on the D pad if necessary. The difference is only a second or two, so it doesn't kill me, but this was a PALM customization that I was surprised they didn't bring over for the 700w's.
    Dang it!

Is there any other way to get this 3rd party? Maybe a different Today screen or something that lets you create shortcuts that can be assigned a key combination or something? It seems so simple to me to have hot keys in a program that you can setup.

I did the start key thing on the Q and dabbled with the voice commands. But nothing compared to the simplicty of simply holding O to call the Office.

It reminds me of the the whole 'we can put a man on the moon thing'. We can create a multi-tasking wifi cellphone that can watch streaming television, but we can't hold down the X button to pull up Pocket Express.

Why is it that we have to give something up each time we 'upgrade'?
    Will the blackberry connect feature be available for the 700wx? Will any Windows Mobile phones have the blackberry connect feature? I notice on blackberry's website that the phones in UK have blackberry connect for windows mobile but not here. The reason I need this is because our company will still support Blackberries and I know that I can use outlook mobile for the same feature.
    I think you wrong (at least partly wrong). You can indeed assign any letter on the keyboard to a favorite. So you can do something like type H for dialing home.

What you can't do is assign a key to anything other than a phone number. The favorites on the Palm OS Treos support phone numbers, apps, and weblinks. On the WM5 Treos its only phone numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I think you wrong (at least partly wrong). You can indeed assign any letter on the keyboard to a favorite. So you can do something like type H for dialing home.

What you can't do is assign a key to anything other than a phone number. The favorites on the Palm OS Treos support phone numbers, apps, and weblinks. On the WM5 Treos its only phone numbers.
    Oh, well that's not too bad then I guess. I can do the programs from the Start-P and the Today screen for a few URLs. That'd work.

That was one of my complaints about the Q. It felt like everything was hiding behind two menus and three confirmation dialogs. Just viewing a text message took many more steps than on my T650. Try that while driving- a practice which I, of course, neither condone or participate in...
    MikeRadio, to move through folders in the FileManager, you can use the UP button at the bottom left of the screen to navigate up the tree.

I used SmallMenu to set up a menu structure. It worked like a charm.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    To navigate email folders, you can repeatedly push left on the 5-way.