Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Ok, my burning question is this: I have a Treo 650 on Sprint, and I would label it (rather generously I might add) somewhat unstable. I find it crashes almost every time I run Chatteremail and Verichat at the same time. So, that said, one of the most important factors for me is stability. how does the stability of the Treo 700wx compare to the 700p?
    1. Skype? Hows the voice quality and latency? Does skype work with wifi as well?
    2. Can one use the camera with a biz card software like with other WM5 devices?
    3. can one SMS voice notes and how does that work? Does regular SMS work with GSM phones? (you couldnt SMS with Sprint till a couple of years ago)
    4. Any improvements to the keyboard?
    5. Can you talk and surf at the same time?
    6. can you handscribble a note and SMS it?
    7. Does it have a2dp and how well does WM5 voice command work?
    8. What kind of speeds are you getting with Sprint EVDO? hows their coverage? used to be fairly limited as per a pcmag article a couple of months ago.
    Last edited by athreya; 09/03/2006 at 09:02 PM.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I would imagine you cannot talk and receive data at the same time. It is my understanding that this is a limitation of CDMA, not the Treo 700wx. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by gjlowe View Post
    I would imagine you cannot talk and receive data at the same time. It is my understanding that this is a limitation of CDMA, not the Treo 700wx. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    i think you can if you can use both wifi and the evdo radios together. not sure though. u can with cingular umts now
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    I don't see a way. If I make a new contact and click on categories, it gives me a list of the existing ones. I don't see a way to add a category or delete a category in the contacts app.
    On the contacts screen, tap on the contact > Menu Softkey > Edit >tap on the Categories > Tap on the New Softkey

Surur
    I just wanted to verify... the 700wx does not have Sprint TV capability? In your opinion is the 700wx better or worth upgrading from a 700p??
    From what I have read, this is a limitation of CDMA only with the existing hardware. With the broader band that EVDO has, EVDO CAN have the capabilty to send data and voice at the same time. I say 'can' because the current EVDO hardware DOES NOT allow it. Future EVDO hardware (EVDO REV A - which is what I was asking about earlier) is said to be able to do data and voice simultaneously, regardless of CDMA.
    It's been said that the word now is that this REV A hardware upgrade (for cell phones) is not due out till the 2nd quarter or 2007.
    Hope that helps.
    Ok, my burning question is this: I have a Treo 650 on Sprint, and I would label it (rather generously I might add) somewhat unstable. I find it crashes almost every time I run Chatteremail and Verichat at the same time. So, that said, one of the most important factors for me is stability. how does the stability of the Treo 700wx compare to the 700p?
    I had a 650 which I was pretty good at stabalizing: WM5 is rock solid. I'm not just blowing smoke either. It's extremely rare that it will "crash" or hang and it never just "resets" randomly, in fact it can't do that.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by mrnoproblem View Post
    I just wanted to verify... the 700wx does not have Sprint TV capability? In your opinion is the 700wx better or worth upgrading from a 700p??
    no but it has MobiTV which is not only similar but better (more live tv) for the same price ($10/month).

is it worth it? depends on how attached to Palm OS you are. I have no problems in saying this is the best WM5/phone combo out there though. but it's up to you to decide if it's worth it.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    You are right. I don't know how I missed the New softkey. There isn't a way to delete an existing one? It comes up with some defaults like "Seasonal" which I would never use.

Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    On the contacts screen, tap on the contact > Menu Softkey > Edit >tap on the Categories > Tap on the New Softkey

Surur
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Does the 700wx have anything different or better than the 700p? other than the operating software....
    Septimus,

-What is your experience with mobile outlook on the 700wx?
    -Can u post a screen shot?
    -Is it a real extension of the desktop and does it sync ALL folders (sent,deleted ....)

I use Goodlink (which is a SOLID email client, but at a cost) on my 700p but now there's the activesync option on the 700P which I thought I would try out cause it is free.
    UNFORTUNATELY it uses Palms email program worsamail ( I mean versamail) which has been causing stabilty and lag issues, as I and so many threads can testify to now.
    If Mobile Outlook runs stable and has a good interface on the 700wx it would be another reason to look to switch from the 700p to the 700wx.
    tia.
    You are right. I don't know how I missed the New softkey. There isn't a way to delete an existing one? It comes up with some defaults like "Seasonal" which I would never use.
    I cant find it in the built-in client, but if you are going to be living in the PIM, and you want great customizability, maybe you should try pocketinformant 2007? It does come with a category editor.

Surur
    Septimus,

-Does the voicemail icon indicate the NUMBER of voicemails waiting to be heard?

for some reason sprint never activated this feature on their Treos even though it exists on other phones.
    OK... A few questions I know are probably basic... But I am at a loss so help is so apreciated....

1) I tried putting Sprint PCS Connection Manager on my laptop. I selected the Treo 700wx... Did everything it said. However it just sits there saying CONNECT PHONE....

a) What am I doing wrong.... It says that it should detect my phone as a device once this is installed, but no such luck.. Didnt recognize it... What is wrong? I took down firewalls and all that...

b) Also, I am correct in assuming this will turn the phone into a modem (hispeed) I will be able to use with the computer for internet access aetc on the road through Sprint vision.. or I am totally wrong?

2) I have been looking at people taling about Pocket Informant... Will this sync perfectly with DirectPushed Items from Microsoft Activesync Exchange Server which my company uses?

3) I am looking at a program Caller ID Picture Pro... Does anyone know if this will work WITH the pictures in Contacts or is it totally different? The pics inc ontacts are updated by our server, and I wold get this program if they work together...

4)How can you easily delete the ENTIRE database.. make it empy.. of lets say Contacts (or calendar or tasks). It was easy with palm but I can not find where the DB files live, and do not know what would happen if I deleted them (would the ap still work),... Can anyone help?

Thank you!

Mike
    I just bought a 700p from Sprint a few days ago. I am still within my window to return it and pick up another phone, and I have been considering snatching a 700wx instead.

1st. Is the Screen Resolution noticibly worse on the Wx? (IE MobiTV, Movies etc) [From what I can tell, I can get MobiTV, and not Sprint TV, and I will lose Fox News =O]

2nd. Does the W's use of Media player and windows programs increase ease of use for someone not familiar with a Palm OS system? (Im not familiar with a mobile-Win either, but have been using it on my PC forever)

3rd. Does the Media player in the W more easily adapt to media files? (IE do you need less 3rd party applications to do things such as use a mp3 for ringtones etc)

4th. Are there any apps that will thread text msging like the 700p does by itself?

Thanks!
    Last edited by xMattx; 09/04/2006 at 04:21 PM.
    when using the sd wifi card on the 700wx and connected to a home lan, can the phone receive and make calls? also, will the 700wx stay connected to the internet lan when left idle (lets say that i wanted to leave an instant messenger program running all day when at home connected to my home lan).
    Q: Can I listen to music wirelessly using bluetooth headphones with the 700wx?
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by watever75 View Post
    Does the 700wx come with A2DP support out of the box?
    Nope. That's a limitation of Windows Mobile 5. To my knowledge, there's not a hack similar to what's available on the PalmOS to make it work. But I would LOVE to be corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by sbono13 View Post
    Can you go to the Sprint homepage and download ringers, games, etc? As I understand it, older WinMob devices did not interface correctly with the Sprint over-the-air download store...
    I don't believe so. Do you have the URL for sprint's download page? WM5 should be able to handle midi files for ringtones at least. As for games, likely that'll be a Java-type thing and I haven't looked into it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeRadio View Post
    I have been trying for hours to Sync the phone with Activesyncc over bluetooth. I am able to get bluetooth to recognize a port... But when I go to COnnect with Bluetooth to sync it doesnt says it has no bluetoioth connection.. and activesync can not find th ephgone as well...

What am I doing wrong? Does it have to do with COM port creation or something.. it was much eaiser and flawless on the 700P

Thanks for the help.

Mike
    Ooh. tough one. I only have bluetooth on my Mac, not on my PC.. I can get it to sync via Missing Sync. To be perfectly honest, if this hasn't been addressed in the forums yet it definitely could use a thread of it's own.

One last stupid windows mobile question, how do you erase or format an existing SD card? I've searched here and on google and the only replies/answers I see are "format the card". How? I can't find any option or anything to do this. The only thing I can find is to delete files in File Explorer, but I want to reformat the card. Easy in Palm OS, but I can't find anything here except to view the available space on the card.
    There are no stupid questions when it comes to a new and unfamiliar device.

In the File Explorer, you can hold the stylus down over the storage card "folder" and one of the context options is "format"

So let me get this straight, on the device itself there is no way to:

a.) Erase an SD card?
    b.) Edit categories in Contacts?
    A) See above
    B) I think this got answered? I installed Pocket Informant pretty much right away to try and handle the anemic screen real-estate so I can't recall offhand how to do it in the regular contacts app. Lemme know if this didn't get answered for you.

Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    free with the exception of movie times!
    You know- this is actually a little aggravating- er, not your post, the issue. I can't tell what's free and what's trial. Some things say "starting trial" and some don't. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by coorspate View Post
    Not yet. I'm taking it a little slow on hacking the thing until after I get the full review up. I'll definitely give it a shot, though, thanks for the link!

Compared to my t650 it's ...about the same, actually. It seems so far like it lack stability in different areas than the 650 ...I'll tell you one thing, if it's multitasking that's giving you fits with the 650 or 700p. the 700wx handles it fine. Especially Verichat, which I was running alongside a dozen other apps with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by athreya View Post
    1. Skype? Hows the voice quality and latency? Does skype work with wifi as well?
    On the list the try, will letcha know.

2. Can one use the camera with a biz card software like with other WM5 devices?
    presumably. I've been meaning to review a few of these services but haven't gotten around to it yet.
    3. can one SMS voice notes and how does that work? Does regular SMS work with GSM phones? (you couldnt SMS with Sprint till a couple of years ago)[/quote]
    SMS works - but only text. Sprint can't handle much more than that. If you send a voice message that's an MMS and it will go through, but the user on the other end will likely just get a link. Will test more.
    4. Any improvements to the keyboard?
    Not to my eyes or fingers. Not significantly, anyway. The backlight on the keyboard does seem a touch dimmer than the 700w, which to me is an improvement.
    5. Can you talk and surf at the same time?
    Nope
    6. can you handscribble a note and SMS it?
    Nope. Again, you could do it via MMS, but with the above limitations
    7. Does it have a2dp and how well does WM5 voice command work?
    No AD2P. Voice command works like a champ. a CHAMP I say! Although I'll note that I was getting odd "out of memory, VC is quitting" messages for awhile despite having plenty of memory. That problem hasn't cropped up recently... requires more testing.
    8. What kind of speeds are you getting with Sprint EVDO? hows their coverage? used to be fairly limited as per a pcmag article a couple of months ago.
    Coverage is a tough thing to gauge. Generally the signal in my apartment is terrible, but it was before. Around town (minneapolis), both Sprint and Verizon are speedy and have good coverage.

you are not wrong. The next rev of EVDO will support this, but it's anybody's guess when that'll be on a phone.

I saw this was answered above. no sprint tv built-in, but you could buy mobitv if you wanted to.

Does the 700wx have anything different or better than the 700p? other than the operating software....
    HOOO. tough call. Does the mac have anything different or better than a PC? Yes and no. The operating system really is the only real difference - and deciding whether you want PalmOS or WM5 is a tough choice. Research research research.

Quote Originally Posted by aacnyc View Post
    Septimus,

-What is your experience with mobile outlook on the 700wx?
    -Can u post a screen shot?
    -Is it a real extension of the desktop and does it sync ALL folders (sent,deleted ....)
    I'm liking outlook mobile quite a bit. It's aggravating that you can't easily select folders with the 5-way, but otherwise it's a very capable and quick email client.

Re: outlook syncing - oof. Haven't tried that yet - a very quick setup didn't seem to do the job for me, but I haven't spent time with it yet..

I use Goodlink (which is a SOLID email client, but at a cost) on my 700p but now there's the activesync option on the 700P which I thought I would try out cause it is free.
    UNFORTUNATELY it uses Palms email program worsamail ( I mean versamail) which has been causing stabilty and lag issues, as I and so many threads can testify to now.
    If Mobile Outlook runs stable and has a good interface on the 700wx it would be another reason to look to switch from the 700p to the 700wx.
    tia.
    It's hands-down better than versamail.

Quote Originally Posted by aacnyc View Post
    Septimus,

-Does the voicemail icon indicate the NUMBER of voicemails waiting to be heard?

for some reason sprint never activated this feature on their Treos even though it exists on other phones.
    Doesn't appear to.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeRadio View Post
    OK... A few questions I know are probably basic... But I am at a loss so help is so apreciated....

1) I tried putting Sprint PCS Connection Manager on my laptop. I selected the Treo 700wx... Did everything it said. However it just sits there saying CONNECT PHONE....
    could be tough to troubleshoot. Did you:

1) reboot your laptop after installation?
    2) turn on modem-link on the Treo?
    3) turn OFF active sync on the treo?

b) Also, I am correct in assuming this will turn the phone into a modem (hispeed) I will be able to use with the computer for internet access aetc on the road through Sprint vision.. or I am totally wrong?
    Not wrong. It works very well for me so far

2) I have been looking at people taling about Pocket Informant... Will this sync perfectly with DirectPushed Items from Microsoft Activesync Exchange Server which my company uses?
    Dang, again I don't know. It *should* - PI uses contact's database, so updates pushed from your server should show up just fine no matter what PIM you use.

3) I am looking at a program Caller ID Picture Pro... Does anyone know if this will work WITH the pictures in Contacts or is it totally different? The pics inc ontacts are updated by our server, and I wold get this program if they work together...
    If the pics show up in your contact info page on the treo they show up on caller id.

4)How can you easily delete the ENTIRE database.. make it empy.. of lets say Contacts (or calendar or tasks). It was easy with palm but I can not find where the DB files live, and do not know what would happen if I deleted them (would the ap still work),... Can anyone help?
    Probably - but not me. Your specific questions dealing with syncing with your sever and getting rid of databases probably deserve their own thread.

Quote Originally Posted by xMattx View Post
    I just bought a 700p from Sprint a few days ago. I am still within my window to return it and pick up another phone, and I have been considering snatching a 700wx instead.

1st. Is the Screen Resolution noticibly worse on the Wx? (IE MobiTV, Movies etc) [From what I can tell, I can get MobiTV, and not Sprint TV, and I will lose Fox News =O]
    No and yes. Photos and day-to-day use is not a problem at all. I do find that web browsing is a little bit more of a hassle, though, with the reduced real estate. You definitely should try one out in the store if you're concerned about this.

Losing fox news isn't a loss at all.

2nd. Does the W's use of Media player and windows programs increase ease of use for someone not familiar with a Palm OS system? (Im not familiar with a mobile-Win either, but have been using it on my PC forever)
    Not so you'd notice it. There are some things that *feel* familiar to windows and that's comforting to many - esp. pocket word, pocket excel, etc. But at the end of the day it's a different operating system with different metaphors for how to use them. I don't find it much more complicated than the PalmOS, to be perfectly honest, but it isn't an exact match for windows desktop.

3rd. Does the Media player in the W more easily adapt to media files? (IE do you need less 3rd party applications to do things such as use a mp3 for ringtones etc)
    Eh. not really. but TCPMP is always available.

4th. Are there any apps that will thread text msging like the 700p does by itself?

Thanks!
    I'm reading in other threads that there are, but they seem to be hacks. haven't tried yet, but will eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by burger510 View Post
    when using the sd wifi card on the 700wx and connected to a home lan, can the phone receive and make calls? also, will the 700wx stay connected to the internet lan when left idle (lets say that i wanted to leave an instant messenger program running all day when at home connected to my home lan).
    You can make and receive calls, but it's a little ..odd. There's a warning that pops up letting you know that there can be interference between the two, and I have experienced some weird things now and then - but nothing I can pin down just yet.

It idles out but connects pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by adrecord View Post
    Q: Can I listen to music wirelessly using bluetooth headphones with the 700wx?
    Nope. sorry.

PHEW. Sorry I don't have all the answers yet. I'll endeavor to find more out - in the meantime a lot of other folks here have been answering questions (thanks!). Really complicated questions probably deserve a search of the forums and if there isn't an answer yet, their own thread.
    septimus,

Thank you so much for your answers. A follow-up to one of your answers. You said that you use the 700wx as a modem with the laptop. I did this with my 600 using PDANet. From what I've heard, that feature is now available without PDANet, but it costs $40 per month. Can u shed any light on this?

Thanks,
    Andy
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast