Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1.    #61  
    exactly thank u if u dont like it dont buy it or leave sprint, end of story
    too much worthless talk about wifi here. If you need it, there are other products to choose from. I personally don't see the big need for it anyways because out of the places that wifi is available, its either at home or somewhere I'm with my laptop. the places where I really need MOBILE internet include the train, stores, and while driving (look up maps or phone numbers on the web). Wifi won't help in those situations.
    This will be long.....it not interested....skip and don't waste your time flaming because you are too lazy to scroll past it.

Quote Originally Posted by klurfdawg23 View Post
    On the WIFI issue if you need WIFI DON'T BUY A TREO simple as that......If you want WIFI built in and not a card then buy a 6700 or move carriers thats the reality of how it is.

..........Nowif youll all stopcrapping my review thread with wifi stuff thatd be great. Take this dumb rant elsewhere. Mods you can close my thread since people are too immature to stay on topic of the thread
    Whenever a new phone is released a discussion about the possibilities or limitations of the options available to the customer for connectivity is a valid point to discuss in a thread reviewing a new phone. It still fascinates me that this discussion is met with such anti feelings when compared with the same topic on any other brands of phones. It can be a positive discussion of the limitations and what options are available to overcome them to help those make an educated decision to purchase the phone or not based on their needs. It does not help to shun those trying to learn about the new possibilities.

It is amazing....it seems that every year around the end of Q3 or Q4 there is a renewed WIFI breakout here at TC. It happened 3 years ago at this same time, 2 years ago at this same time, last year at this same time....and again this year. Weird huh? Since it is the same comments and the same answers year after year, I would like to share what I said two years ago....as nearly all the points relate to many of the comments in this thread just as the same comments were made two years ago..... followed by how I feel now:
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post

Whiners whining about the Wifi whiners whining about no Wifi!

11/03/2004

Here goes another useless thread on the subject, but man this is getting out of hand.....first of all I cannot believe people are upset that other people may actually need a feature that they don't. There is nothing wrong in saying that if P1 does not integrate Wifi, then please at least support a Wifi card for those who really do NEED it!

We should not have to defend over and over again that there IS A NEED for Wifi beyond the personal needs of the users who are whiners whining about the WIFI whiners whining about no Wifi.

It is not a deal breaker for me, (just one large block in the over all appeal of the phone) but the advantages for my situation is invaluable. I am on the road alot with work (and since a share of Treo users are traveling business people I am probably not alone).

The whiners whining about the WIFI whiners, have used the following arguments to justify not needing Wifi or access to it in other threads....
    • it's a cell phone use your carrier, stupid....in the US that is NOT an option if you roam. If you are out of coverage and in Roam....you loose ALL DATA TRANSFER options through your cell phone carrier!

Even though Sprint has a pretty good coverage area, there are still HUGE chunks of the US that are roaming. I am often times in roaming mode in backwaters, OR, ID, CA, and WY. When you roam...No Vision...No Vision then No Data....No Data then No Internet....No Internet then No Email or Web Access. No Internet or Email Access then I am tough out of luck while sitting in a McDonald's with Wifi waves flying all around me begging to be used for free.

Take a look at the light green on the Sprint map for OR, WA, ID, and WY and you will see what I am talking about, as all of that area has NO data access with the carrier.

EDIT: Here is a link to see how much of the US is still in Digital Roaming: http://www.sprintpcs.com/common/popu...alRoaming.html

Not to mention those outside of the USA who have to pay major money to use their carrier for data when Wifi would be free.

These two points along justify a need for at least an option for a Wifi card.......

• buy another device...nice loyalty to the needs of loyal customers. But since this feature is either included or supported in a wide selection of other smartphones, I know of many people who have done just that...i.e. PPC-6600 (PDA2K).
    • Just use your laptop.....whoever falls on this argument either never travels or never uses their convergence device for business. There are so many situations a laptop is not either convenient or impractical or impossible to use that it is ridiculous....i.e. I cannot use my laptop in the car to get my email, sitting in an airport, during a business meeting and need facts fast.
    • You don't Need it, you are just using for fun, like streaming songs at home or checking stats during the big game. Just use your stereo or desktop.....what is wrong with having fun with a feature that is a widely available option to take advantage of for fun or entertainment. I am a road warrior power user, but I also include entertainment within the value of the device for me.
    • Just wait until you get home to get your stats......This one again must of been from someone who never uses their Treo much for business. Personally I am on daily and weekly deadlines and if I cannot check my stats until I get back home or to the hotel room to discover if there is a problem, I would be fired!
    Is there a need? Yes.

Will EVDO, which is NOT available with the 650, resolve it? Only if it can work while Roaming.

If I had WIFI, and no EVDO, I think I would find myself using Wifi quite often....when I was at home, a free WIFI hot spot, or in Roam as it would my ONLY option, all of which I seem to be in all a fair amount of time. Again, Wifi is not a deal killer if it supports an addon.

I think the bottom line is to give the customer EVERY opportunity to get connectivity in ANY given situation he/she is in. If research shows that Wifi would NOT be supported by a majority of the customers, then at least make it an available addon to those who do want it or, more importantly, to those who NEED it.

It is supply and demand....depending on the demand, then supply Wifi in the phone or as an addon....but the fact is, as several other threads have proved, there is a demand and there should be a supply to meet the demands of those customers.

This is not whining, simply standing up for a great product to meet the needs of the customers who would love to stay with it and not turn to alternative OS or phones for the same amount of money that include these features.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...1263&highlight
    Now with the release of the latest Treo, how do I feel about it?

Bottom line is not as good as I would like but maybe now a workable second place solution. After 2 long years after I took the advice that Dawg offered above and left Palm and my beloved Treos (I am a Treo lover at heart) just so I could have the features that I not only wanted, but needed to fulfill my obligations with my job......I crossed over to the dark side to the world of WM. I was scorned at the time here for such blasphemy by many.....My, how times have changed.....

Anyways, when the 700w was announced I was VERY interested because I still like the Treo and always was hoping (somewhere deep down inside) someday to come back to the fold....if the Treo could meet my needs. But the 700w fell flat without meeting the most basic of my daily multi-tasking needs with being short sheeted with only 32 MB of memory.

Now with 64 MB of memory with WM, that can support WIFI card, it caught my attention again. But the challenge is without built in WIFI, removing the memory card offers obvious challenges. If the following really is true then at least there is a possible solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by klurfdawg23 View Post
    And they are going to solve the memory card/wifi card problem with a wifi card with 1gb memory thats coming out so...that problem is going to be solved.
    But I have heard this rumor for over a year now....any confirmation or source?

If so, then even though I still wish Palm would offer all common connectivity options in a business oriented phone, at least they finally gave my second option after two long years on a phone that actually has the basic standard of memory to run it.

I am still watching this very closely and very tempted (but not convinced quite yet) to jump back into the Treo fold.....

(see....a positive discussion about the limitations of the phone to meet user's specific needs can lead to possible workable solutions....this is what discussions boards are all about!)
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 09/05/2006 at 04:12 PM.
    You can get data if you roam. I've used my data transfer even when roaming internationally. Perhaps this is another CDMA limitation?

Also: Someone earlier mentioned that carriers were losing a "ton of business" for not having wi-fi. Has this been documented anywhere? Exactly how much business are they losing? Are we sure? (Just curious).
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01 View Post
    You can get data if you roam. I've used my data transfer even when roaming internationally. Perhaps this is another CDMA limitation?
    Not a CDMA limitation at all. Sprint is rolling out data roaming on Alltell's networks. It's mostly out West/Midwest now, but it sould be nationwide soon.

Data roaming on CDMA networks is possible with all carriers, they just choose to disable it to steer business their way. This is the only card Verizon pulls on me when I go into their store. I comment about the high cost of their data service, they counter with their superior coverage, get data anywhere, no roaming necessary, blabla. I don't see the need to quadrouple my monthly data fee when Sprint is adding free Alltell roaming as we speak.
    You could just tell Verizon that the GSM folks have even them beat on GSM roaming. These draconion policies of the CDMA carriers are *a* factor in my staying with GSM, in spite of the much slower data speeds.

Thanks for the clarrification. Most appreciated.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    While searching the possibility of other phones phones being released with Sprint, like the Samsung i320 codename Blackjack rumored to be released in Dec for Sprint, I came across this interesting quote while Googling:

---------------------------------------------
    Palm Treo to Add Wi-Fi Capability
    ---------------------------------------------
    Palm will add wireless Internet capability to future models of the Treo phone. The company had declined to add Wi-Fi because it drains battery life. Chief executive Edward T. Colligan would not say when the capability would be added. "We do believe Wi-Fi is an important technology," Colligan said. "There's no question that we'll ultimately put in our products, but at the right time."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...051601773.html
    Which basically means when we darn will feel like, we will do what others have been offering in various phones for the past 1-2 years. Which really isn't a jab concerning WIFI specifically but the way that Palm generally does business as this can relate to nearly any feature, I.E. memory is another big one that I would classify here as well.

I simply have a love / hate relationship with Palm. I love their products, when they get it right. I hate how they take several releases to come up to the standards of the industry that has already been long established. They can be truly innovated and change the entire industry, i.e. the Treo 600. But it seems to be a bad habit of sitting and banking on past success to carry them in the long stretches of time following that. For example they could have continued their reign of success with the 650 and 700w if they simply would have put the minimum industry standard of memory in their next release instead of only 1/2 the standard. Moves like this alienates many Palm customers and forces them to leave (like me) a great concept due to substandard subsequent releases......which often times would not have been hard at all to include originally.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 09/06/2006 at 12:25 PM.
    Another point to make in the Wi-Fi vs Ev-DO argument is that Sprint does not have Ev-DO network wide yet. I am in a large market that is still without Ev-DO. With a device that handles Wi-Fi i could surf at the faster speeds at numerous spots, wheras now i am only limited to the 1x speeds. I think the whole argument boils down to this, somepoeple need it, some don't. To those of you who don't why do you care if someone does need it, for those of you who need it, great don't force on people, why can't we all just get along?
    -Parrott84

The Treo 700wx was a great device. Especially for one handed use, but it would be hard to give up my Mogul now.

myChristianConnection.org
    Great post, Hobbes. But remember, Palm did not invent tne Treo, it was the last flash of brilliance from the folks at Handspring. It seems that Palm was handed this device on a silver platter and doesn't know what to do with it. Just like lottery winners who go bankrupt again because they never learned how to handle money.

On another note, more than anything else, Palm execs' attitude of "you'll get it when WE're good and ready" that really irks me and ultimately drove me away from the Treo I so loved.
    Last edited by treo...not!; 09/06/2006 at 04:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo...not! View Post
    Great post, Hobbes. But remember, Palm did not invent tne Treo, it was the last flash of brilliance from the folks at Handspring. It seems that Palm was handed this device on a silver platter and doesn't know what to do with it. Just like lottery winners who go bankrupt again because they never learned how to handle money.
    I HATE to defend Palm, but you're wrong. Ed Colligan was the CEO of Handspring before the merger and is the current CEO of Palm. I believe Donna and Jeff are still around also, but not as active. For all purposes, the current Palm brain trust was the old Handspring brain trust.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    I believe Jeff and Donna were really forced by lack of capital to rejoin Palm. Palm was and always will be a more conservative culture than companies similar to the beloved Handspring. I own a small business and only with the release of the Handspring Visor and Springboard modules did I decide to incorporate Palm handhelds into the company.

I owned the 600, and I use an unlocked GSM 650 which I still find useful and enjoyable but Palm's glacial development cycle keeps from me from immediately investing in new Palm software.

Maybe that's where leverage can be exerted to make improvements more quickly; from the developers that is.

And while I enjoy the Palm OS, my needs have require I look at the next WM5 device from Palm or whomever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    He is talking about pocket outlook (built-in app, no push). I fwd all gmail to my mail2web account and absolutely LOVE IT. When i first got this phone I used the mail2web account to reinstall my contacts and calendar and email, and I couldn't believe how qick it downloaded everything

I run this same type configuration. It works perfectly! My Treo functions like a Blackberry!

Arc
    In caves all cats are gray...
    I finally got mine today. Everything is ok except for the screen. When it's on what's supposed to be a white screen, it's horribly yellow! Yes I have the ugly yellow tint just like the problems older Treo models had.

I think I'm gonna get it exchanged.
    Mine is much more yellow than my 700p. I don't know if this is common or not though.

Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    I finally got mine today. Everything is ok except for the screen. When it's on what's supposed to be a white screen, it's horribly yellow! Yes I have the ugly yellow tint just like the problems older Treo models had.

I think I'm gonna get it exchanged.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I obsess over every little thing. When I opened my 700WX's box, the battery was not next to the 700WX in the little part made for it (the battery) in the plastic tray, it was laying right on top of my 700WX's keyboard. Weird...
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    I obsess over every little thing. When I opened my 700WX's box, the battery was not next to the 700WX in the little part made for it (the battery) in the plastic tray, it was laying right on top of my 700WX's keyboard. Weird...
    LOL. Glad I'm not the only one. I ran a pixel test (against my better judgement ) and think I have a stuck pixel.

Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
    LOL. Glad I'm not the only one. I ran a pixel test (against my better judgement ) and think I have a stuck pixel.

Your battery was sitting on top of your 700WX's keyboard too?
    No, I was saying I'm glad I'm not the only one who is obsessive...
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
    No, I was saying I'm glad I'm not the only one who is obsessive...
    Ah gotcha!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234