Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    not this year, the HTC product map has nothing for the rest of the year for us, bunch of GSM and 2 for verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo View Post
    Palm has no problem putting wifi on their PDAs. The real reason for no wifi is carrier request, IMO.
    Actually, the first problem at hand is that PalmOS can't handle a wifi radio and a cellular radio at the same time (and Palm doesn't want to take time to make it work), so the 600, 650, and 700p were automatically ruled out from having wifi whether Palm wanted it or not. Since the PDA's don't have cellular radio's putting wifi in is a lot easier.

As far as the the 700w and 700wx not having wifi, I think that's Palm being lazy and not pushing forward like others are doing. Eventually, I think Palm is going to have to start putting wifi on their Treo's, but it's probably gonna be a while....

Quote Originally Posted by klurfdawg23 View Post
    not allHTCs have wifi, 700w/wx are made by HTC for example
    They are manufactured by HTC, not designed by HTC. HTC just builds them, Palm made the decision not to include wifi.
    Engadget had a story a week or so ago about CDMA htc tytn and breeze equivalents coming to Verizon soon. If the Titan does not have wifi it would be really amazing.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by klurfdawg23 View Post
    You have a choice use what you have,buy a 6700 with wifi, or get a wifi SD card- easy as that once again. Complaining wont change Palm or Sprints decision.

I actually dumped Sprint several years ago and I now use unlocked phones that have no carrier restrictions. The 700wx is cool though and if they ever came out with the GSM version, I might take a look at it.

And YOU indeed may not see another wifi phone for a while on Sprint. But I have 2 new ones.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    Actually, the first problem at hand is that PalmOS can't handle a wifi radio and a cellular radio at the same time (and Palm doesn't want to take time to make it work), so the 600, 650, and 700p were automatically ruled out from having wifi whether Palm wanted it or not. Since the PDA's don't have cellular radio's putting wifi in is a lot easier.

As far as the the 700w and 700wx not having wifi, I think that's Palm being lazy and not pushing forward like others are doing. Eventually, I think Palm is going to have to start putting wifi on their Treo's, but it's probably gonna be a while....
    I've heard that before about the Palm OS. I was never sure if that was really true. But I may not use another Palm OS phone anyway, at this point. It's beginning to look obsolete.

And the lack of built-in wifi on the WM5 phones makes me believe they have no problem making people buy their card after they've already spent $650.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I've heard that before about the Palm OS. I was never sure if that was really true. But I may not use another Palm OS phone anyway, at this point. It's beginning to look obsolete.

And the lack of built-in wifi on the WM5 phones makes me believe they have no problem making people buy their card after they've already spent $650.
    Good observation... I think Palm also designs their phones as primarily phones and not net devices. They consider it a smartphone, not a PDA so wifi isn't a real important feature for them. If you want/need wifi, there are plenty of other products out there that serve both, but I also feel that they are not as 'handy' or functional from a phone standpoint. Besides.. with EVDO speeds so fast, do you really need wifi?? I for one, can't think of a real selling point to wifi, even in corporate environs where EVDO will not get email etc as fast or nearly as fast as wifi would.
    The Treo actually is a serious PDA phone IMO.

One wifi selling point for me, choice of data connection not determined by the carrier alone.

I actually dumped Sprint several years ago and I now use unlocked phones that have no carrier restrictions. The 700wx is cool though and if they ever came out with the GSM version, I might take a look at it.

And YOU indeed may not see another wifi phone for a while on Sprint. But I have 2 new ones.
    Whats the significant advantage of moving to an unlocked GSM phone, when HSDPA speeds are less than EVDO, that too when HSDPA availability is still limited? Are there any other features which are superior?
    Yes, but it's more on a personal choice basis, which probably doesn't apply to everyone. I'm just not interested in many of the phones US carriers offer.

HSDPA is not slower than EVDO, and ha a higher ceiling on speed in the future.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by athreya View Post
    Whats the significant advantage of moving to an unlocked GSM phone, when HSDPA speeds are less than EVDO, that too when HSDPA availability is still limited? Are there any other features which are superior?
    I can tell you that here in NY, Cingulars HSDPA is alot faster then sprints evdo.
    You know this talk about wifi has been beaten to death. If Pa1m is not interested in providing choice and competitive features to its customers, then it's time for those customers to move on.

By the way, I've been surfing on my MDA for the last 2.5 hours on my MDA via wifi and I still have 50% battery left. Oh yeah, my MDA was not charged last night. The point is, if Pa1m wanted to do provide built-in wifi, it could.

So, as empowered customers, let's vote with our wallets and send Pa1m a message: sell products with technology that's a day late and a dollar short and, just as quickly as we have made the Treo a success (and I've owned the 600 and the 650), we will make it a failure.

Only problem is that for every experienced customer who becomes enlightened and moves on, two or three more suckers are born saying, "Why do we need built-in wifi? Why can't we just pay an extra $100+ for an add-on that does not allow us to use the sd slot for the internet cache or internet dependent software? And, heck, why don't we throw in an extra $30-40 per month for a data plan we once three times a week? After all don't Pa1m and carrier execs deserve their big fat bonuses?!"
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by athreya View Post
    can you tell us:
    1. how good is skype quality on it?
    2. voice command? a2dp voice command?
    3. push email?
    update: installed sype 2.0 "low cpu" for PPC, works well, bogs the phone down a little bit but it did that on the 6700 also just a big program, but the quality seemed ust fine. Im sure itll depend on your location and evdo signal strength

On the wifi issue if you need wifi DONT BUY A TREO simple as that. On the "not offering competative devices" qute youre totally wrong the 700wx has equal specs to any pda phone out now and runs just as well, maybe in the past treos werent up to par but they are now for US standards. You name me besides the 6700 another CDMA wifi pda? None thats right. GSM is a totally diff situation because it impacts the rest of the world more than the US so their standars are different.

You knew before you bought it that it didnt have wifi built in yet you still spent the money on it. Dont go out and buy it and THEN complain. If you want wifi built in and not a card then buy a 6700 or move carriers thats the reality of how it is. This is because of 2 situations, you all complain about the proce of the treo imagine if they added wifi how much itd raise the price and they can only do this so much until people wont buy them let alone the space to cram it into the casing considering the treo is smaller than most 6700/mda type devices, and second most treo users are used to no wifi and they offer a card if you do theres your solution. And they are going to solve the memory card/wifi card problem with a wifi card with 1gb memory thats coming out so...that problem is going to be solved.

Nowif youll all stopcrapping my review thread with wifi stuff thatd be great. Take this dumb rant elsewhere. Mods you can close my thread since people are too immature to stay on topic of the thread
    Last edited by klurfdawg23; 09/04/2006 at 09:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtrader View Post
    Let me put out another view why Palm does not include WiFi in the Treo...

They would lose $99.00 on the sale of their WiFi card.

Palm makes the card work just perfect when you insert it and if you want it you pay $99.00 (retail price) for it. Why would they now give you something for free when they are making money selling you the add-on product? (And no, they don't have a market lock on WiFi cards, but I bet they are turning a profit on the ones they sell).

Guys,

You are thinking like customers and not like a business. Verizon is trying to get EVERYONE on the unlimited data plan. If wifi is available for all Verizon phones, no one would have the unlimited plan. Plus, let's face it, Verizon's data coverage is EVERYWHERE......unless you are in the middle of EBF. And in that case you are in the minority which Verizon is willing to take.
  15.    #55  
    exactly. its like say youre a computer tech and make house calls for $100 an hour. Are you really going to give your customer a computer repair booklet and software for free and say there you go and leave? um no its a business your out to make money for your services, just like Sprint is for their evdo service, they arent going to give you free internet access sorry people

Like I said i belive the 6700 was just a test to see how a wifi phone went and if people still bought data sinc other carriers were trying it. And there is no confirmation of a 6700 successor let alone the fact itd evn include WIFI

thats end of story on the wifi, it is how it is, the end deal with it or change to GSM
    Last edited by klurfdawg23; 09/04/2006 at 10:33 AM.
    Dawg, you wrote:
    "exactly. its like say youre a computer tech and make house calls for $100 an hour. Are you really going to give your customer a computer repair booklet and software for free and say there you go and leave? um no its a business your out to make money for your services, just like Sprint is for their evdo service, they arent going to give you free internet access sorry people."

So dawg,

It's okay to shaft unsuspecting customers instead of providing "real" products and services. Is that how you would treat your customers?

I think your example is an insult to techies and a large part of the reason why we are earning such a horrible reputation. Techs are supposed to provide real services and to educate users on best practices, not try to squeeze every last penny out of customers for even the most basic of services that you hype up to sound impressive. It's called customer service. (I know I'm an antiquarian.)

Nonetheless, your example gives us all clear insight into your perspective and I guess we should be grateful.

P.S. I wonder why you singled me out for thread-crapping. I was just following the thread as it had developed. But I guess when the truth hurts it's time to call for mom, I mean mod. BTW, lamenting the the lack of wifi is a legitimate item when discussing the latest Treo device.
  17.    #57  
    no wifi is not a standard for phones yet so they arent required to give it to us on a pda yet. And i wasnt insulting techs, ive done tech work, i was just simply stating thefact you dont give stuff for free (were talking working for a company not a personal business you run) service calls still cost the customer money. I can think of 10 or more example where business does not give away free service to their customers thats how business works and companies have worldwide headquarters and billion dollar revenue and such. They arnt going to give up their money which is their power to help you out, this is not a mom and pop business out for the customer.

i wasnt signaling you out per say just everyone who decided to turn my review thread into a wifi discussion, simply start a new thread on wifi, mine was meant for review of the phone

Mods close this thread asap
    So poor service, overpriced products and businesses looking out only for themselves is normal. Is this the ultimate evolution of capitalism? What about growing a business by serving the customer well? Oh that's too mom and pop for you. Tell me that the next time your cell phone company is jerking you around.

That's right, MOM, I mean MOD, please close this thread. Save the space for someone who can handle tough debate.
  19.    #59  
    if u dont like sprint service LEAVE, geez
    If ya want wi-fi, then pay for the card. Those who use the reasoning of not buying a device because it does not have wi-fi built in BUT that does allow for it (wi-fi sd card) are silly in my opinion
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast