Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The blackberry really has only had the one benefit of BES with Exchange. The 700WX DirectPush implementation gets rid of the unneccessary BES expense, simply the 20 dollars savings a month to not need hosted Blackberry Enterprise Server is worth it for me.

700WX is the perfect blend of blackberry fast push email, ppc 6700 windows expandability (yes wifi cards work on the 700wx), and the smooth form factor of the 700p (without the battery drain from chattermail)

I completely agree with the review. 700wx is the device to get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    I disagree. The smartphone of choice for business folks today is still the Blackberry, which has little to no support for Wi-fi. Your theory that business people require wifi doesn't make sense.
    Actually with all of the legal uncertainties over the past 18 months with RIM, I know of several large corps that have migrated away from BB to MS Exchange instead when contracts were due. All are now using a WM device of one kind or another. BB do have a large chunk. But if I had a BB, I wouldn't need a Treo. The Treo attracts traveling business people....that by default probably do not have BB. But I still don't understand why some people get so worked up when someone share a valid need for a feature that is common place in the same class of phone among the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach View Post
    Hobbes I agree and want wifi in a phone now after using it, but do we need to discuss wifi here? Jack will just come into this thread and start making rants about how he would fire people and whatever else for using wifi on their phone and how you need to carry a laptop and whatnot. LOL
    Mentioning the need of WIFI in any other forum simply starts a positive discussion of how to use it, it's possibilities, etc.... But bringing up the possibility that a someone traveling while roaming (aka NO DATA CONNECTION) and needs to access email while sitting in a Wifi hot-spot in a Palm forum is often like saying your religion is false, your political views are skewed back wards, you are a self loathing hypocrite, backwater redneck, and your dog stinks.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 09/04/2006 at 11:43 PM.
    klurfdawg23....thanks for taking the time to share.....the 700wx has caught my attention. I am still undecided but positive reports like yours do help!
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Regarding Wi-FI if you watch the Video review of this phone from Treo Central you will see that the Wi-FI card works instantly when he plugs it in. So, Wi-FI is instant and easy on the WX. I haven't tried it myself (nor do I have this phone) but at the end of the video review he plugs in a Wi-FI card and connects to his home network rather easily.
    --Denny
    I think the reality of a WiFi implementation on the Treo would be a rash of reviews/postings complaining that battery life is attrocious. My guess is that Palm has a strong sense of how many returns they would get from users LIVID over "battery life measured in mere moments" when using the WiFi connection and deemed WiFi not worth pursuing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    I think the reality of a WiFi implementation on the Treo would be a rash of reviews/postings complaining that battery life is attrocious. My guess is that Palm has a strong sense of how many returns they would get from users LIVID over "battery life measured in mere moments" when using the WiFi connection and deemed WiFi not worth pursuing.
    Let me put out another view why Palm does not include WiFi in the Treo...

They would lose $99.00 on the sale of their WiFi card.

Palm makes the card work just perfect when you insert it and if you want it you pay $99.00 (retail price) for it. Why would they now give you something for free when they are making money selling you the add-on product? (And no, they don't have a market lock on WiFi cards, but I bet they are turning a profit on the ones they sell).
    I have Wi-Fi in my current phone. I never ever use it. If I'm someplace that I can use it it's generally my office or my home. I'll use my laptop there. In an airport or hotel? Same thing: Use the laptop.

On the road? No wi-fi. Seriously I've only powered it up (wi-fi) occasionally just to play with it or see if it works.

Being a business person myself, I have doubts that anyone "needs" wi-fi. Perhaps if we didn't have unlimited data plans it would make sense, but since we do .....

Each his own of course.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    can you tell us:
    1. how good is skype quality on it?
    2. voice command? a2dp voice command?
    3. push email?
  9.    #29  
    1. havent tried it yet will install tonight n try
    2. voice command doesnt work over bluetooth like all treos, but im sure someone wil figure it out eventually. Dont use stereo bluetooth
    3. dont use push ust normal pop3 but its fast, im sure someone else can easily chime in about push though
    Quick summary of the 700wx - it blows my 650 away. Forget wifi, threaded sms, in the big picture, quit whining and enjoy this huge improvement. This thing does so much more that the 650. It's quick and stable. It feels like I have a computer versus an outdated simple OS. I won't be sleeping tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01 View Post
    I have Wi-Fi in my current phone. I never ever use it. If I'm someplace that I can use it it's generally my office or my home. I'll use my laptop there. In an airport or hotel? Same thing: Use the laptop.

On the road? No wi-fi. Seriously I've only powered it up (wi-fi) occasionally just to play with it or see if it works.

Being a business person myself, I have doubts that anyone "needs" wi-fi. Perhaps if we didn't have unlimited data plans it would make sense, but since we do .....

Each his own of course.
    How about those who don't need unlimited data all the time? I NEED wifi as an option because it makes no sense for me to pay a lot monthly for what I use on a limited basis. I would like the option of choice. I can choose to pay the temporary usage fees of the carrier for when I do get online, or I can choose wifi. But it should be MY choice. Which is why I now will be choosing phones with both data and wifi options. BTW, if you don't have a high speed data card in your laptop, the wifi can come in handy there too.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo View Post
    How about those who don't need unlimited data all the time? I NEED wifi as an option because it makes no sense for me to pay a lot monthly for what I use on a limited basis. I would like the option of choice. I can choose to pay the temporary usage fees of the carrier for when I do get online, or I can choose wifi. But it should be MY choice. Which is why I now will be choosing phones with both data and wifi options. BTW, if you don't have a high speed data card in your laptop, the wifi can come in handy there too.
    exactly.

All I'm saying is you just need that one time where you have no signal but know there is wifi available you'll be glad you have the capability! choice is good.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Folks, I said unless you didn't have unlimited data option it doesn't make sense. You then replied "what if we don't have unlimited data" ... well ... that's when it makes sense. As I stated.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    If they would get the UMTS rolling wide scale here, maybe I'd be convinced to buy unlimited data.

It also doesn't help that we use 1900 when most phones for WCDMA are 2100(except the very few we have for the US). I hear the military controls the 2100 band but may start auctioning it off.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    Palm has no problem putting wifi on their PDAs. The real reason for no wifi is carrier request, IMO.

But each carrier has other PDAs with wifi. Sprint has the PPC6700, Verizon the XV6700, etc...
    I have wondered why it's almost always the same phone model with wifi and it's always the ONLY one with wifi. The 6700s are the same, just look different, and the 8125 is the GSM version. The carriers allow HTC PDA wifi phones and that's about it, it seems.

One less radio, yet the phone costs the same. Not too mention sell the WiFi SD card for even more cash.

Consumers still have a choice and everyone wins. ]
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo View Post
    I have wondered why it's almost always the same phone model with wifi and it's always the ONLY one with wifi. The 6700s are the same, just look different, and the 8125 is the GSM version. The carriers allow HTC PDA wifi phones and that's about it, it seems.
    not allHTCs have wifi, 700w/wx are made by HTC for example

Ok the 700wx has no wifi because obviously Sprint requested this because they want you to pay for EVDO. If you have wifi theyll lose money, easy as that. Plus the fact wifi sucks battery (try surfing on wifi on the 6700 on a full charge and see how lnog that battery lasts, not more than maybe an hour or 2, trust me ive had 2 at diff times) and requires a lot more tweaking to hardware and software. I get they put it on the 6700, but maybe that was just a test to see how a wifi [hone would work out and what percentage of 6700 users get data and assume the rest are using wifi data. Honestly Id guess we wont see another wifi phone for a little bit here.

You have a choice use what you have,buy a 6700 with wifi, or get a wifi SD card- easy as that once again. Complaining wont change Palm or Sprints decision.
    Last edited by klurfdawg23; 09/04/2006 at 01:59 AM.
    The 6700 replacement is supposed to have wifi as well, but not sure when that's due.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast