1.    #1  
    Due to new government regulations we are required to encrypt all mobile and PDA devices. Can someone recommend encryption software for all Treo devices 600, 650, 700p and 700w.
    Warden (beta) 2.0 claims to be able to encrypt the SD card's Palm directory
    I had installed Teal Lock 5.65 (http://www.tealpoint.com/softlock.htm) on my 650. Twice in last two weeks my contacts database disappeared while I was on the road, leaving me helpless. Because I had sync'd it, it also wiped out the phone database on my laptop, too. After a hard reset, I was able to restore from other backed up files both times, but I removed Teal Lock last night, not wanting to suffer further difficulties.

Teal Lock gives one the opportunity to select which database to encrypt. I chose only the phone database, so my calendar, tasks, memos, etc., were unaffected. It seems like a nice program, except for the destroying the database issue.

Of course, while my problems occurred after loading Teal Lock, it is hard to say what the actual problem was. Teal Lock might work well for a different user, or with a slightly different setup, but too scary to continue with at the moment.

I am waiting for a response from TealPoint tech support. If they give me a plausible answer and recommend a course of action that seems viable I will reinstall. Otherwise I will try another vendor. UPDATE: THEY RESPONDED AND SUGGESTED I UPGRADE TO THEIR VERSION 6 BETA. THEY WERE QUITE HELPFUL. I WILL TRY THEIR NEW VERSION FOR A WHILE. NO EXPERIENCE WITH IT YET.

I think everyone is realizing that we carry too much info on our treos to not be ultra careful about security, so encryption seems to be a necessity.

UPDATE 11/6/2006: My Treo locked up again with the beta teallock 6. I'm done with it. Taking it off forever!!!!! To add insult, no my Treo is locked (even after a hard reset) and I cannot use it at all at the moment. Keeps saying my password is incorrect. I think Teal corrupted my password.
    Last edited by Macadam; 11/06/2006 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Updated info
    Quote Originally Posted by Macadam View Post
    I had installed Teal Lock 5.65 ([url]
    UPDATE 11/6/2006: My Treo locked up again with the beta teallock 6. I'm done with it. Taking it off forever!!!!! To add insult, no my Treo is locked (even after a hard reset) and I cannot use it at all at the moment. Keeps saying my password is incorrect. I think Teal corrupted my password.
    My guess is that you have not done a hard reset, or did you hotsync after the hard reset, as in it's virgin state after a true hard reset any palm should not ask for a password ?

FWI After a warm reset TL6 will lock your palm.

By default, when you install TealLock and input your first password it (tealLock) changes your old system password to the new TealLock password.

You can turn this off later and have different TealLock and system passwords. But if you set a different password for TL have you tried that one as your system one.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by boobi0823 View Post
    Due to new government regulations we are required to encrypt all mobile and PDA devices. Can someone recommend encryption software for all Treo devices 600, 650, 700p and 700w.
    What Government? I've heard that in the US you aren't supposed to be carrying classified on a PDA
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    For the most part there are a few good ones out there like Pointsec, Safeguard, etc that offer Mobile encryption and kill pill type commands in the even of loss or stolen devices. Goodlink has Mobile Defense that we use and works great.