Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have an issue with this phone...

Yes it seems like a much needed power boost over the 700w. But with EVDO RevA coming out in the next couple of months why didn't they make this the flagship device? Now THAT would have made switching worthwhile! I assume all EVDO RevA devices will be/are backward compatible with current EVDO so what's the big deal? I guess upgrading the RAM is a lot easier than swapping in a new radio.

So now we will probably see a bunch of EVDO Rev A devices hit the market and the 700wx will seem like nuthin. I guess it's time to start the "700wx owners - we got screwed" thread!
    IF (and its a big if) they used a new CDMA EVDO chipset they would be firmware upgradable to Rev A. The Treo 700w is confirmed to have an older chipset which isnt. I personally doubt Palm will do it however. They would prefer you buy a new W in 6 months time.

Surur
    wow -bold title
    I feel that rev a would be nice but not a must have. evdo by it self is a great improvement to the data part of these phones. yes I want the best device for my money as well, but if I waited for rev a devices, it just a mater of time until there obsolete as well.

I feel the wm5.0 on a treo type form factor with the memory upgrade and chat style sms, this device will suit me fine. I understand your comment, but come on. there's always going to be something better in the future. that doesn't make what we got now obsolete.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    I would not expect to see any Rev A compatable PDA phones until late 2Q 2007 by this time the 700wx will be 8-9 months old and in Cell Phone time that is an eternity. Palm will more than likely release a Rev A phone in the May/June time frame, by this time the 700p will be a year old and due for a upgrade.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Do you really expect a 312Mhz processor to handle higher transfer rate that well? Granted, it would be great for those of you that tether a lot, but as far as I'm concerned, Internet Explorer still takes longer to render the page then it does to receive it, so for browsing the web I'm can assure you that you won't be able to tell a difference. And instead of saying "man, I wish EV-DO worked in this area," we'll be saying "man, I wish Ev-DO A worked in this area."
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    IF (and its a big if) they used a new CDMA EVDO chipset they would be firmware upgradable to Rev A. The Treo 700w is confirmed to have an older chipset which isnt. I personally doubt Palm will do it however. They would prefer you buy a new W in 6 months time.

Surur
    I wouldn't even bet on that. Remember, the 6600 had an EVDO radio and Sprint decided not to offer the upgraded ROM to enable EVDO.

Regardless, the wx isn't Rev A. I agree, the bandwidth won't help you much until they boost the processing power. Also, it will take them until well into the second quarter to release Rev A in the top 20 markets is my guess.
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
    I agree, its unlikely. The main advantage of Rev A is simulatenous voice and data however, like possible under UMTS.

Surur
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I agree, its unlikely. The main advantage of Rev A is simulatenous voice and data however, like possible under UMTS.

Surur
    Is it? I know the EVDV was going to do that.
    Kash76

To be honest Rev A won't make much of a difference at all. The biggest bottle neck on these phones is the processor which means real world difference between what we have now and Rev A will be not really noticeable.

If you tether then you'll see a difference in latency but can you really tell the difference when a web page opens at 60k/sec or 90k/sec? Its almost imposssible unless you are downloading a vid.

Less latency would be nice but if you buffer properly you shouldn't have a problem as things are now.

Rev A = yawn! in my book. Knowing Sprint it will be half a year before most of us get it anyways and by then there will be a new crop of rumored phones to drool over.
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    To be honest Rev A won't make much of a difference at all. The biggest bottle neck on these phones is the processor which means real world difference between what we have now and Rev A will be not really noticeable.

If you tether then you'll see a difference in latency but can you really tell the difference when a web page opens at 60k/sec or 90k/sec? Its almost imposssible unless you are downloading a vid.

Less latency would be nice but if you buffer properly you shouldn't have a problem as things are now.

Rev A = yawn! in my book. Knowing Sprint it will be half a year before most of us get it anyways and by then there will be a new crop of rumored phones to drool over.

ditto!
    Kash76

Quote Originally Posted by Kash76 View Post
    Is it? I know the EVDV was going to do that.
    A bit of google shows that Rev A is supposed to do this already.

Surur
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Call me lazy.
    Kash76

Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske View Post
    I would not expect to see any Rev A compatable PDA phones until late 2Q 2007 by this time the 700wx will be 8-9 months old and in Cell Phone time that is an eternity. Palm will more than likely release a Rev A phone in the May/June time frame, by this time the 700p will be a year old and due for a upgrade.
    It is now possible to pre-order a Rev A notebook card (9/1 is the official release date). I seriously doubt we will have to wait a year for a Rev A compatible phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-i-e-i-o View Post
    I have an issue with this phone...

Yes it seems like a much needed power boost over the 700w. But with EVDO RevA coming out in the next couple of months why didn't they make this the flagship device? Now THAT would have made switching worthwhile! I assume all EVDO RevA devices will be/are backward compatible with current EVDO so what's the big deal? I guess upgrading the RAM is a lot easier than swapping in a new radio.

So now we will probably see a bunch of EVDO Rev A devices hit the market and the 700wx will seem like nuthin. I guess it's time to start the "700wx owners - we got screwed" thread!
    If you knew about EVDO Rev A before you purchaed your device and that you wanted that feature then why did you purchase it in the first place. Sounds silly to me.

DREi
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    LOL, sounds like a dog chasing his tail to me.
    Kash76

Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6 View Post
    It is now possible to pre-order a Rev A notebook card (9/1 is the official release date). I seriously doubt we will have to wait a year for a Rev A compatible phone.
    Yes, I know there was a wirless card released, but that is in not a phone. The PDA smartphone industry will not support Rev A for some time. Now you may be able to purchase a "media" or flip phone that is Rev A but you will not see any smart phones or PDA phones for a while.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
  18.    #18  
    I don't have the 700wx, I have the plain old 700w. The point of this thread is that you can really never win the "waiting" game. Whining, suing, etc. won't make this sad, simple truth go away. This industry just develops too quickly and everything is old news by the time you unwrap it. I used the word "obsolete" simply for shock value. Oh well...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post

Wrong. You must have missed that part about EVDO data and voice at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man View Post
    Wrong. You must have missed that part about EVDO data and voice at the same time.
    My calls already ring through on EDVO I could give a **** less if I can surf and be on the phone at the same time. With Multitasking OS I pick up right where I left off regardless.

Regardless what does that have anything to do with not being able to see the small speed difference on your PDA which was my point? This isn't an update like 1x was to EDVO. Its really not worth hammering your head against the wall considering no PDA on the market can take advantage of it and its benefits will affect very few people once phones come on the market that can.

In other words most people don't and shouldn't care.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast