1.    #1  
    Okay, here are my problem areas. If anyone has any tips, I'd really appreciate any assistance.

-- Messaging - On my old phone, I could text a message to another phone or to an email address. With the Treo, it says I can only send a text message to a phone. I must use email to send a message to an email address. What gives? This can't be right. Any help out there on this?

-- Am I expecting too much from the internet explorer? When I go to a news site, I expect to be able to click on a video link and watch the video clip. Not so. This browser won't play it. I've tried going to these sites through Google, as I read somewhere. It cleans up the appearance for the mobile browser, but still no videos.

-- Is there a way to turn up the intensity of the vibrate feature? It's way too quiet to be useful.

-- Can I synch my phone with AOL or only Outlook? If it's possible to do it with AOL, where do I find the POP and SMTP info or whatever it is I need to manually synch. For those who use Outlook only, Treo did an excellent job of automatically synching with my Outlook account.

-- How do I download from the internet? I've clicked on "download here" links on websites but nothing happens.

-- Any opinions on whether I should get the WiFi card for $199? Or, are there cheaper generic cards out there?

In advance, thank you so much for any assistance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Attman View Post
    Okay, here are my problem areas. If anyone has any tips, I'd really appreciate any assistance.

-- Messaging - On my old phone, I could text a message to another phone or to an email address. With the Treo, it says I can only send a text message to a phone. I must use email to send a message to an email address. What gives? This can't be right. Any help out there on this?
    If you add an email address for someone in your contacts db it will give you an option to send email. Then it will ask you how you want to send it when you click on the send email option. Choose text message.

-- Am I expecting too much from the internet explorer? When I go to a news site, I expect to be able to click on a video link and watch the video clip. Not so. This browser won't play it. I've tried going to these sites through Google, as I read somewhere. It cleans up the appearance for the mobile browser, but still no videos.
    Windows Media Player only supports a limited number of video formats. You may want to install a 3rd party video player such as TCPMP to play the other formats.

-- Can I synch my phone with AOL or only Outlook? If it's possible to do it with AOL, where do I find the POP and SMTP info or whatever it is I need to manually synch. For those who use Outlook only, Treo did an excellent job of automatically synching with my Outlook account.
    You can setup poutlook to download AOL mail by using their IMAP server imap.aol.com and SMTP server smtp.aol.com. You enter your screenname and pw for login info and select outgoing mail requires authentication in the options. If you actually meant you want to "sync" AOL mail you could do that too. Either call Verizon wireless and have them set you up with Verizon's wireless sync and tell them you want to sync AOL mail. Or I think you can enter the same imap and smtp server info in Outlook and sync it that way.

-- How do I download from the internet? I've clicked on "download here" links on websites but nothing happens.
    Some websites don't define the download links correctly which confuses PIE. If the mime type is defined correctly for the file to be downloaded it should work. If it's incorrect on the page there is not much you can do other than report it to the webmaster, or maybe try a 3rd party browser that makes assumptions based on the files extension.

-- Any opinions on whether I should get the WiFi card for $199? Or, are there cheaper generic cards out there?

In advance, thank you so much for any assistance.
    I bought a WiFi card when I first got my Treo, but rarely use it since I always seem to have data access wherever I go.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Attman View Post
    i've seen WiFi SD cards w/ built in 1gb memory go on sale for $35. pm me if you need link to the site that had it on sale. i don't think i can afford $200 wifi sd cards...

Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    Windows Media Player only supports a limited number of video formats. You may want to install a 3rd party video player such as TCPMP to play the other formats.
    how can i set TCPMP as my default player? i'd like to watch cnn videos on my treo, but it doesn't want to work when i click on any of those video links that normally work in my desktop Windows Media Player.
    Quote Originally Posted by ft5117 View Post
    how can i set TCPMP as my default player? i'd like to watch cnn videos on my treo, but it doesn't want to work when i click on any of those video links that normally work in my desktop Windows Media Player.
    Try the instructions at this link

http://www.htcwizardweb.net/node/230/
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    Try the instructions at this link

http://www.htcwizardweb.net/node/230/

thanks for the link!

i tried following the instructions, using Total Commander, but wasn't able to locate the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\
    Shell\Rai\:WMPLAYER"... any ideas?

"The Core Pocket Media Player is the ultimate replacement for Windows Media Player. The software formerly known as BetaPlayer supports a broad range of audio and video codecs out of the .cab, and there are additional codecs available on the TCPMP website.

TCPMP is the ultimate companion for your Orb account. Windows Media Player has problems with playing multiple songs from a streaming playlist, replacing Windows Media Player with TCPMP as the standard application for streams works around this. Some tweaking is required to have your streams played by TCPMP instead of Windows Media Player:

* Associate TCPMP with Windows Media (.asx) in the TCPMP configuration (Options > Settings > Select Page > File Associations)
    * Use Total Commander to navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\
    Shell\Rai\:WMPLAYER
    * In the String Value 1, replace wmplayer.exe with the path to TCPMP (“\Program Files\TCPMP\player.exe” when you have TCPMP installed in main memory, “\Storage Card\Program Files\TCPMP\player.exe” when you have TCPMP installed on your memory card. Include the quotes!
    * Perform a soft reset by holding the Power button for 5 seconds

Of course, if you like TCPMP better than Windows Media Player, you can go to the TCPMP configuration to associate more or even all media types with TCPMP."
    Quote Originally Posted by ft5117 View Post
    thanks for the link!

i tried following the instructions, using Total Commander, but wasn't able to locate the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\
    Shell\Rai\:WMPLAYER"... any ideas?
    hmm. I see it on mine. I use Resco Registry editor. I never tried Total Commander.