Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has many advanced features missing from the built in Messaging application. Check it out at:

www.pocketinformant.com
    any comparisons with chatter?

..this might make it or break it for me with the 700wx...
    Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I have a few issues with Flexmail. First, when you go to send a photo from the photo app, it doesn't work with Flexmail. In Pocket Outlook, you go to send a photo from the photo album, and it inserts it into a new email, and is ready to go. Not so in Flexmail (I have it registered as the default email app, etc).

Also, I ended up uninstalling Flexmail (not necessary for me). After doing so, all shortcuts/links/icons to Pocket Outlook were totally gone. I searched my file system over and over and never found Outlook. Did it delete it or something?

Anyhow, went ahead and hard resetted tonight. Was time for a good cleaning.

Flexmail may have it's audience, but Active Sync and my 4smartphone.net exchange server works fine (I sure do miss Chatter, though).
  4.    #4  
    I will be posting a detailed review of FlexMail here including a comparison with Chatter within the next week or two. There are some early release issues with FlexMail (as with any new application) that the developer is aware of which should be worked out by then.

I find it fast and feature rich on the 700. Should be that much better with the 700wx. I think it has the potential to become a real world class application and a reason the jump ship from Palm/Chatter.

Stay tuned.
    still no ssl support though?
    I've played around with it on my ppc-6700-- currently I've setup multiple IMAP folders to my exchange server (inbox, etc.), and my activesync relationship does not sync my email. I've done this in order to reap the benefits of true HTML email with images, which activesync does not support, but still have other PIM synchronization. Here's what I think so far:

pros:
    -HTML email rendering with images (only for IMAP folders, not available via activesync)
    -Fairly intuitive UI--similar to POutlook, so there is not a steep learning curve
    -Ability to set separate sync parameters for each folder in IMAP hierarchy

cons:
    -this is a big one, I haven't been able to get IDLE working properly. The diamond next to my account is green, indicating that IDLE is active, but there is no sync with the server. I'm definitely missing messages compared to my desktop client and my Treo using Chatter.
    -even if I get it to work, the manual is very clear that this is not a two-way connection, i.e. if a message is deleted locally, it is not immediately deleted on the server. It will be deleted on the next synchronization (and who knows when that will be). This is similar to how activesync works, but is a far cry from Chatter.
    -The process to download more of a message is a little cumbersome; the message must be marked for download (via a sub-menu), then on the next sync (user-initiated or automatic) it will be downloaded. It's actually easier to do this in POutlook (fewer screen taps/menus to navigate) and is not as simple as in Chatter.

On balance, when compared to POutlook, if everything works the way it's advertised, then it is a servicable upgrade (assuming you can use IMAP to access your exchange email). Is it worth $20? Maybe, depending on your priorties. But, it hasn't worked for me yet, and if I can't get IDLE to work properly, then I have to move on.

It's definitely not "Chatter for the pocketpc". In many respects it is inferior to Chatter's mail handling, e.g. no 2-way live connection. That's probably the single most-missed application for me, and I'm still looking for a good alternative.

BTW, if someone has any insights about the IDLE issue, feel free to share.

-R
    Also, is it true that there is no today plugin? Is there anything that shows up on your screen to alert you of new mail?
    Quote Originally Posted by dbarrett5381 View Post
    Also, is it true that there is no today plugin? Is there anything that shows up on your screen to alert you of new mail?
    I saw no today plugin available. There is a notification that pops up to alert you of a new message-- it has an auto-preview of the message with sender, subject, etc.

-R
    if only there was a today plugin so that you could tell you have new mail when you turn on your screen........
    Has anyone had an issue where Flexmail keeps maximizing every time it checks the mail? It should be doing it minimized. Maybe I did something weird.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wannatreo View Post
    I will be posting a detailed review of FlexMail here including a comparison with Chatter within the next week or two.
    Is the Flexmail vs Chatter comparison ready for sharing? Thanks.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
    Also, I ended up uninstalling Flexmail (not necessary for me). After doing so, all shortcuts/links/icons to Pocket Outlook were totally gone. I searched my file system over and over and never found Outlook. Did it delete it or something?

Anyhow, went ahead and hard resetted tonight. Was time for a good cleaning.
    Gah. Ditto. Exact same thing. Aggravating. AGGRAVATING.
    FlexMail is an important factor in my potential POS-WM switch. If it can't provide IMAP IDLE messages stored on the card, I would lean very heavily towards POS. If it does so with bugs or slowdowns, I would be very disappointed.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    FlexMail is an important factor in my potential POS-WM switch. If it can't provide IMAP IDLE messages stored on the card, I would lean very heavily towards POS. If it does so with bugs or slowdowns, I would be very disappointed.
    I'm just curious: why is storing messages on that card (as opposed to say, just attachments, which Outlook does out of the box) such an important factor?

I mean, say you had 500 email messages (main mem) w/attachments (on the card): how much space is 500 email messages--just the bodies? Especially when you have 57mb of storage space to begin with?

And won't there always be slowdowns when you are storing/accessing things on the card? Even I noticed that on my 650 w/Chatter.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Malatesta:

I store ALL my messages from the last 18 months+ on my Treo. It's just so convenient to be able to have it all on hand when someone claims to have emailed you something a month ago and you know you never got it, or vice versa.

57MB is nice, but I know from the 6700 days that many apps don't play nice with the card (FM06, NetFront, Resco plugins, etc). And quite frankly, having used PIE and PO, I know I need FM/NF. I used up 30MB+ on my 6700, and I'm worried that I would find more SD-unfriendly apps over time that would eventually make the 57MB seem paltry.
    lol, okay. obvoiusly this follows into the more exteme category of emailing!

17.    #17  
    The developer is currently testing a beta of FlexMail version 2 (which will be much better and come closer to a chatter-like experience on WM). With all of the bugs currently identified, I anticipate that it will take a least another month before they are all stamped out and version 2 is actually released.
    Quote Originally Posted by wannatreo View Post
    The developer is currently testing a beta of FlexMail version 2 (which will be much better and come closer to a chatter-like experience on WM). With all of the bugs currently identified, I anticipate that it will take a least another month before they are all stamped out and version 2 is actually released.
    I already drank that KoolAid. FlexMail 2007 was supposed to be IT. Apparently it is not. I know the developer is very dedicated and supportive, but I'm just not sure his timeframes are realistic. I know we will have a FM comparable to Chatter someday that doesn't slow down the system, but I doubt it will be this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    lol, okay. obvoiusly this follows into the more exteme category of emailing!
    Maybe, but there is an inherent weakness when working with limited memory - I'd hate to be forced into the decision of chossing which emails to keep. I think power users may run into that over time with WM devices as new SD-unfriendly power apps are released and PIE/PO local storage space is reduced.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Maybe, but there is an inherent weakness when working with limited memory - I'd hate to be forced into the decision of chossing which emails to keep. I think power users may run into that over time with WM devices as new SD-unfriendly power apps are released and PIE/PO local storage space is reduced.
    Well, in fairness I have yet to read of anyone suffering a DSOD on the 700wx and there are not too many "SD unfriendly power apps" I can think of.

And I would assume that the attachments issue is more important at this time for most users than storing message bodies on the card. I mean look, your needs and the other poster who has "10,000 contacts" (literally) are really pushing this device to the limits. It's supposed to be something to use while out of the office--not as an office replacement. I mean, 18 months of email on a pda? I know you want that but honestly, that's not what this device is designed for. That's a laptop. And being in the minority, I wouldn't expect the market to exactly jump to fullfil this need.

Considering ASUS released (about 3 months ago) a PPC with 1gb of ROM, I see no reason to not expect the same for PPC phone edition devices in 6-9 months. Maybe more. I mean 8gb nand flash is already out:

Samsung Electronics has stated in their press release that they have started mass producing a 60-nanometer 8GB flash memory. The high-density MLC (multi-level-cell) memory is being produced with 60-nanometer (nm) process technology which is the smallest used today. This new technology has enabled Samsung to gain manufacturing productivity by 25 percent. It will be used in the upcoming mobile phones, DAPs and gaming consoles.
    I think this is a better solution than carrying around or using any type of SD card for critical things like email, PIM etc (it's fine for games, movies, music and pics).
    Last edited by Malatesta; 09/27/2006 at 10:24 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast