Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yes, I am in the minority, but I do use my Treo as a laptop replacement. With Chatter I have little reason to use a PC to check mail. The bottom line is that SnapperMail and Chatter allow for this functionality on the POS, and it kind of spoils you into believing that the much more robust WM should have its own solution, if not many solutions. I'm sure if the functionality was there, a lot more people would use it. (As in my case- I only started my insane storage ways once Chatter allowed SD storage).

Anyway, hopefully FM will have this in a future release so the point will be moot.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  2.    #22  
    Been testing FlexMail and it is too buggy to use at the moment. They are beta testing version 2 which promises better reliability and IDLE support. We will have to wait and see. I don't expect a release for at least another month.
    I didnt like it so i deleted it,!

however now link is on my programs menu! how do i remove this?
  4.    #24  
    try reinstalling then uninstalling through control panel.

This software needs a good couple of more months of development. its still full of too many bugs.
  5. joe
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Here is a question for all you flexmail users out there. With a treo 700wx and hosted exchange via 1&1, should I install the current production version (2007 Build 988) or the latest stable beta (Rev 2 Build 1066)?

I don't mind a little experimentation, but I don't want to be missing emails and so forth. I looked over at their message boards and am a little scared off, but many of the problems mentioned have to do with fastmail's imap or smartphones.

I guess I am looking for some real-world experiences with treos and hosted exchange before I take the plunge.

Thanks,
    Palm 5000 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony Clie T665 + Tmoble SIdekick > Sony TG50 (+Sidekick) > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > PPC-6700 > Treo 700wx
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    Here is a question for all you flexmail users out there. With a treo 700wx and hosted exchange via 1&1, should I install the current production version (2007 Build 988) or the latest stable beta (Rev 2 Build 1066)?

I don't mind a little experimentation, but I don't want to be missing emails and so forth. I looked over at their message boards and am a little scared off, but many of the problems mentioned have to do with fastmail's imap or smartphones.

I guess I am looking for some real-world experiences with treos and hosted exchange before I take the plunge.

Thanks,
    I would hold off. The application is still very buggy. New bugs are discovered every day. Basic features like notifications, PUSH flags, handling of large numbers of messages don't work well, etc. The official version is not any more stable than the betas. If they address all of the bugs already found, I would think they have another couple of months of solid development. The promise is there with the application, but it has to be stable and relatively bug free with basic features working for it to win over the user base. I would stick with the built in Messaging application with DirectPush support until this thing is ready for prime time.
  7. joe
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Thanks wannatreo, that is the kind of info I am after. I am very attracted to the idea of correctly rendered HTML email on my treo. I registered flexmail 2006 recently enough to get the upgrade to 2007 for free. I had this on my ppc-6700. That was unstable anyway. My Treo is working too well to introduce major messaging problems right now. I just wish the built in messaging app. would do HTML. otherwise, things are perfect!
    Palm 5000 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony Clie T665 + Tmoble SIdekick > Sony TG50 (+Sidekick) > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > PPC-6700 > Treo 700wx
    I've been using Flexmail for about a week. I have the following complaints:

1) There's no today plug-in. It's designed to TAKE OVER your "messaging" (default pocket outlook) plug-in. But in my case I chose "NO, do not become my default" and it does not have it's own today plug-in.
    I have to select "NO" because it's incompatible with XPress Mail and Express mail needs the standard pocket outlook messaging program for it's folder.
    2) I'm using it with POP. I selected "3 days of mail" and it does sync (optional) the mail with pop (delete on server deletes on handset, and vis-versa.) Yet I have mail a week old on my phone. It isn't automatically purging the mail older than 3 days.
    3) It'll delete mail off of pop if you empty the trash on the phone (again an option.) You have the options "empty trash on exit" or "Don't use trash, delete immediately."
    a) if you chose "immediate" it gives you a manditory confirmation question on every deletion (annoying after the first 10 times.)
    b) if you chose "delete on exit" then you have to shut down the app to purge the mail. But I leave the app running so it'll check mail (if you shut down the app it doesn't get mail.)
    Therefore it needs a little fix here.
    4) Not compatible with XPress mail. As explained before, this means I can't have it be my default mail program or I have no access to my xpress mail mail folder (only be accessed through the today plug in which it'll take over.)

The good things about this program:
    1) Very powerful and customizable to your needs.
    2) Full HTML rendering of email. This is the 1 reason I keep using it.
    3) *IF* you use directpush, you can send email replies through a different mail account (SMTP.) So I'll get activesync push through mail2web.com but I can SMTP outgoing mail through my me@mydomain.com. So if you forward mail through mail2web.com for example, you can still reply with YOUR email address and not @mail2web.com

I'm going to try to get my issues addressed (except for #4.) It'll make this much better.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Thanks wannatreo, that is the kind of info I am after. I am very attracted to the idea of correctly rendered HTML email on my treo. I registered flexmail 2006 recently enough to get the upgrade to 2007 for free. I had this on my ppc-6700. That was unstable anyway. My Treo is working too well to introduce major messaging problems right now. I just wish the built in messaging app. would do HTML. otherwise, things are perfect!
    I'm right there with you. HTML mail is the only reason I use Flexmail, and I ONLY use it for my Yahoo POP mail account. Everything else I use the standard messaging app.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    [QUOTE=taylorh;1111656]
    3) *IF* you use directpush, you can send email replies through a different mail account (SMTP.) So I'll get activesync push through mail2web.com but I can SMTP outgoing mail through my me@mydomain.com. So if you forward mail through mail2web.com for example, you can still reply with YOUR email address and not @mail2web.com

Taylorh, this is the main reason I've been waiting for a stable version of Flexmail. I do have a couple of questions, though. If you were to select Flexmail to take over the native messaging app, what might happen to any POP accounts you already have set up on your Treo? Also, how much storage and program memory does Flexmail use? I had demo'd PI a while back but it just seemed to suck up to much of my limitted program memory (700w).

Thanks,

Russ
    I do this for mail2web already via their proxy SMTP service.

I do have the 1.99 a month deal, so I'm not sure if it is part of that but under my settings, I setup a secondary email address for returns, then confirm it and then select. Save settings, done.

Now, whenever I reply back, it "comes from" my Gmail account. Couldn't be happier.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    [QUOTE=tropicaffair;1111736]
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post

Taylorh, this is the main reason I've been waiting for a stable version of Flexmail. I do have a couple of questions, though. If you were to select Flexmail to take over the native messaging app, what might happen to any POP accounts you already have set up on your Treo? Also, how much storage and program memory does Flexmail use? I had demo'd PI a while back but it just seemed to suck up to much of my limitted program memory (700w).

Thanks,

Russ
    Any POP mail (I assum IMAP also) account you set up under the default mail (outlook) will not be visible inside Flexmail. You have to set them up separately in Flexmail. Installation would need to go like this:
    1) Delete POP mail accounts in the mail program.
    2) Install flexmail, tell it to take over as default.
    3) Create the POP mail accounts agian.
    If you don't delete the ones initially, you'll end up with the same pop mail account and folders saparately in two different programs.

This really isn't an issue if you intend to use Flex as your default (takes over.)

As for memory, it does seem like it's eating un unusually large amount of memory. I also use a program called space reclaimer that, as far as I can tell, is cleaining up temp folders after Flexmail (not totally sure.) I need to more investigation here.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

I do have the 1.99 a month deal, so I'm not sure if it is part of that but under my settings, I setup a secondary email address for returns, then confirm it and then select. Save settings, done.

Now, whenever I reply back, it "comes from" my Gmail account. Couldn't be happier.
    So you're just using Mail2Webs SMTP server to send from your own email address, correct? (smtp.exchange.mail2web.com)?
    I also am paying the $2. Mostly so I can have IMAP access to my account through outlook or outlook express.
    That's something I haven't tried. Using mail2web with IMAP instead of directpush. I wonder if mail gets pushed to Flexmail this way as reliably?
    Of course if I was going to do this I should just use fastmail.

I really wish Yahoo would go to IMAP instead of just POP. Hell I'd pay good money for it. it'd make my life much easier.
    I tried Yahoo GO! to sync my email folders through it, and it works beautifully. But then I have the SAME exact issue which is that I can't send mail from my email address, all of the mail through that program comes from xxxx@yahoo.com (BOO!)
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
  14.    #34  

Malatesta, I don't understand how you do this? How would you select a different reply to from within Pocket Outlook before sending a message? You use DirectPush to receive the message to your ActiveSync account but how do you reply with your secondary email account on the device?
    I uninstalled FlexMail today. There's a couple of things I'll really miss about it, but it's a little too high maintinence to be bouncing back and forth between outlook and Flexmail where (because I have accounts in each.) Also flexmail's email notification could use a little work.
    I'll make do with pocket outlook until something better comes a long. It works well enough.

Are you using POutlook or flexmail for this?

Thanks!
    Thanks wannatreo, that is the kind of info I am after. I am very attracted to the idea of correctly rendered HTML email on my treo.
    Would be nice if flexmail wrapped the html on the screen ala PIE
    Hi, I am testing mail2web's activesync. Works like a charm. BUT I cannot figure out how to SEND using my own smtp server (being that of gmail, so all my sent mail ends up in Gmails sent box).

Could you advise?
    Wouter
    directpush using 4smartphone works perfectly, buti'd love to be able to send via gmail's server so that my replies are threaded.now if gmail went imap i'd be in heaven.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12