Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 122
  1. richpjr's Avatar
    Posts
    98 Posts
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Actually I think there is a good case for a class action suit. Palm should know, they have lost enough of them in the past.
    Were you deceived about the amount of memory in your phone when you bought it?
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by richpjr View Post
    Were you deceived about the amount of memory in your phone when you bought it?
    Certainly not. I do my research. I wonder however if you can find out how much RAM the Treo 700w has on Palm's website? People are STILL showing up confused about this.

    Surur
  3. #23  
    When Sony was making palms, I remember people complaining in the same way. They'd buy the newest and coolest device only to find Sony in sometimes just 2 or 3 months coming out with a newer more advanced model. I know I loved my sony clie ux 50 when I had it and didn't worry about anyone else. Now Sony is gone form plam OS and we have been stuck with these incremental upgrades from palm that happen about every year. So there you have it. People will b*tch no matter what. If you get too frequent upgrades, they complain. If they don't upgrade, people complain. Me personally, if I had to choose bewteen the two extremes, I prefer newer tech coming out all the time. I am not about "being better than someone else." I am about loving being better than I WAS before. I just compare me to me. I don't want to impress anyone else. I just really love having the best tech I can to do my job. This ranting is kind of like someone going into an ice cream shop and blaming the boss: "hey, you got too many flavors in here!" What do you want, only chocolate and vanilla? At least you guys on the windows mobile platform have something going on. My treo 700 was really kind of a yawn "upgrade" for me. I kinda regret leaving my 650. The 700 really doesn't do enough different for me to justify the full price I paid. But hey, what's done is done. I plan to keep this at least until summer 2007. At that point, after 10 years with palm OS, I will open my eyes to whatever is the best thing out there at that moment in terms of features and also value. You can't spend your life lusting all the time after what your neighbor has, be it it his wife, car, or smartphone. You gotta enjoy what YOU have when you HAVE it.
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Actually I think there is a good case for a class action suit. Palm should know, they have lost enough of them in the past.

    Here, let me help the lawyers:

    Surur
    Personally, I am sick of all the lawsuits in this country. I think we all wind up paying for it later. Palm needs to spend more money on R & D to develop better products to differentiate itself in a market where these smartphones are becoming more and more like commodities. I don't think they need to waste more money paying out for lawsuits. Nobody forced any of use to be the first kid on the block with the newest phone. I bought the 700p too soon. I realize that and blame no one but myself. It is hard to do, but the best strategy is to hang back a few months and let the other guys be lab rats and test stuff for you.

    I think I am finally learning that myself. Many of us, yours truly included, easily get swept up in the mania when a new model comes out. It is smarter though, to hang back a bit. I would advise the same thing with the 700wx. Wait 3 months before you get it. Otherwsie you guys will be back here in 4 or 5 months doing guess what?
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
  5. #25  
    I just want to know when the 700wx will be on Verizon ... I want to upgrade from my VZW Treo 600 so bad I can taste it ...
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by maharashii View Post
    I just want to know when the 700wx will be on Verizon ... I want to upgrade from my VZW Treo 600 so bad I can taste it ...
    Seems like you will be in for a real upgrade
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
  7. robdam's Avatar
    Posts
    535 Posts
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    #27  
    Do we know for a fact that the 700WX will be available through VZW?
  8. #28  
    AdamT, don't even waste your keystrokes on this idea. I said something vaguely similar a long time ago when the 650 first came out. If you recall, it had supposedly the same amount of memory as the 600, but because of the bolluxed memory setup, it effectively had much less. As a physician I don't believe in lawsuits, and I urged people to email Palm or otherwise express their discontent. I got resoundingly booed off the stage. The pent up demand for a new Treo was (and is) so great that the masses will accept anything they get. And the joys of being an early adopter should not be lost on any of us technophiles.

    Bottom line: vent here if you can stand the negative response, and either buy the latest and greatest Treo, or switch products. Palm doesn't care about you, me, or anyone else, except maybe for Verizon. Personally, I switched to a PPC-6600, and I am very happy with it. I may consider the new Nokia E-62 when it comes out for Cingular. It's just a phone, not a way of life....
    http://www.doctordalai.com
  9. #29  
    We are paying the price for being early adopters. Technology changes all the time. If we all waited for the next big thing, or the next better technology, we'd all still be carrying StarTac's....

    Would I like more memory, YES... Would I like better memory management, YES... But I don't see the need to blame anybody for the fact that I jumped into the smartphone game when I did...
  10. #30  
    Skipster....I totally agree with you. The only thing I have a problem with is like when Palm released the 700. Look back at the threads at that time....even with all the techies here, it took us several weeks to confirm how much memory the 700w actually had....even after it was released.

    The standard in the industry for 1 1/2 years was 64 with some starting to offer 128 MB of Memory. Then Palm comes along with the latest and greatest with only 32 MB of memory and only 12-18 MB of user available memory after the OS and factory installed utilities load. No problem with that, except that the website hid this vital fact. No one in the stores new or could confirm the actual memory as Palm would not tell them when they called right in front of me to find out. As I said I was interested in the 700 when if first came out and I called Palm directly 3 times drilling for confirmation of the amount of memory the 700 really had with no one willing or able to give me an answer.

    It is one thing to be an early adopter of technology and have another option come out with more features 8 months later, that is a given, that is life in the technology world. It is another all together when a high profile new phone comes out with 1/2 the industry standard for the previous 1 1/2 years and actively attempts to hide and suppress that fact from the consumer and retailers.

    Heck, I am not even upset that they short sheeted the 700 with their memory, as long as they made it clear and easy for the consumer to confirm what they were really buying...and this is where I have my concern.

    And again, with all of that said, if the 700wx for Sprint does have 64 MB of memory, I will take a second look and may even buy.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 08/24/2006 at 12:34 PM.
  11. #31  
    Yeah, good luck with your suit. Personally I think you are SOL. This new litigious lifestyle that we now lead is such a poison on society. No offense to you lawyers out there, you got a right to make a buck as much as the next guy, but many of you are enablers and bid yourselves to the lowest common denominator. But I guess that's just how it is...no one's ever gone broke underestimating the American Public.

    That being said, I'm with you in terms of how you feel about the phone. I hate this piece of crap. It freezes all the time, it's slow, it's underpowered, and it's a PITA. But you know what, I still bought it b/c I felt it was the best phone available at the time. I couldn't wait any longer b/c my old phone was dead so I punted and bought the 700w. In fact, I waited almost 4 years, nursing my crappy old Motorola waiting for a worthy smartphone to come out. It never happened, and it still hasn't.

    What is the holdup here? Well, this industry is still where computers were in the mid 90's...operating in the past with the hardware trying to catch up with the software. The "newest" models still have oudated processors, 1.3 MP cameras (which have been out for YEARS), too little RAM (even 64 mb isn't that much) lagging screen resolutions, crappy reception, minimal battery life...etc.

    It will still be at least 5 more years before the hardware starts to catch up and then things will breeze along. I hope one day they will offer customizalbe smart phones much as they do with computers today where you can choose your features and price. That's a LONG way away. Until that day we will all suffer with outdated hardware forced upon us due to cost restraints (who wants to buy a $1000 cell phone?) and corporate complacency until cell phones are so great they become boring (like computers today) and then we'll have to find some other tech industry to b*tch about - hopefully the crappy mileage on our hydrogen fuel cell cars
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-i-e-i-o View Post
    Until that day we will all suffer with outdated hardware forced upon us due to cost restraints (who wants to buy a $1000 cell phone?) and corporate complacency until cell phones are so great they become boring (like computers today) and then we'll have to find some other tech industry to b*tch about - hopefully the crappy mileage on our hydrogen fuel cell cars
    Except that 2 Megapixel seems to be the standard now, and the better devices 3.2. Its not that everyone is behind times, but mainly Palm, while still charging as much as everyone else.

    Surur
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Except that 2 Megapixel seems to be the standard now, and the better devices 3.2. Its not that everyone is behind times, but mainly Palm, while still charging as much as everyone else.

    Surur
    Touche, although I am specifically referring to smartphones. I know a lot of the new "multimedia" enhanced cell phones out there have the 2mp and up but most smartphones and PPC's seem to be stuck on 1.3, or were in January when the 700w was released.
  14. xtant21's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    #34  
    Sorry...I heard someone say class action lawsuit because the 700wx has 64mb of RAM and my ears perked up. Class action...please. It's already been said but let us reiterate the facts. Granted we ALL feel the 700(whatever) should have had 64mb in it. Is it a design flaw that keeps the device from functioning in it's advertised manner...absolutely not. For those who never owned a Treo they may have felt 32mb was enough. Maybe they don't plan to add 30mb worth of extra programs.

    Bottom line is Verizon got the exclusivity on the new Treo and those who jumped over to Verizon and paid their astronimical data prices are now feeling the effects of having no restraint. We are a society of gotta have it now...where not even a fast-food drive thru is fast enough for us anymore. If you can do like our parent's and grandparents had to do and wait for things you would have more choice...but no we have to have it NOW. We feel like we are entitled to everything NOW. I have to wait 5 minutes?! I don't think so. So now everyone with a Verizon 700w is screaming foul. I purposely would never own a Verizon phone because of their plans...both data and voice but had I done so...I would not feel cheated. It was the best Windows Mobile powered Treo at the time it arrived. 8 months later...there is a new better one. 2 months after that it looks like there will be another better one. Then we get to wait another year for the next silly season of what ifs.

    Let it go people...the only person rich enough to keep jumping carriers to keep up with the next best coolest phone, treo whatever is Bill Gates himself. Other than that...enjoy what you've got. Be patient and make a well-rounded decision of what to buy. We all deep-down inside knew this would happen...crying foul about it is just lame. Let's all lose the impulse to buy NOW and maybe just maybe...we'll send a message that putting products out to market that don't fit the market need aren't going to fly...won't be purchased and therefore won't be made. But until WE learn how to control ourselves...companies will keep turning out products that we don't really want but have enough awe to draw on our inability to utilize restraint and wait.

    Let's slow down our lives a bit people. We don't need to kill ourselves to have the latest/greatest and cause severe financial strain (class action) on society because whaa whaa we didn't get what we really wanted; (but now we could have). Suck it up already.
    Last edited by xtant21; 08/24/2006 at 12:39 PM.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you suck forever!
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by xtant21 View Post
    Let's slow down our lives a bit people. We don't need to kill ourselves and cause severe financial strain (class action) on society because whaa whaa we didn't get what we really wanted; (but now we could have). Suck it up already.
    or... Palm can be punished after the fact, and may stop playing the game the way it does.

    When some-one is defrauded, do you say "You should have known better, why are you trying to get the conman arrested?" I hope not. You say "You should have known better, you better report him to the police so he does not do the same to the next greedy *****".

    Palm has already settled two class action law suites, one for Sudden USB Death Syndrome, and one for the flip lid on the older Treo's.
    http://svenontech.com/mypalmlife/ind...-class-action/

    http://mytreo.net/archives/2006/08/p...tion-suit.html

    Palm is also currently the subject of a class action lawsuit alleging the Treo 600 and 650 was of poor quality, while advertised as being of high quality.
    http://classcounsel.com/news/treo.html

    Eventually Palm will learn how to behave responsibly.

    Surur
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-i-e-i-o View Post
    Touche, although I am specifically referring to smartphones. I know a lot of the new "multimedia" enhanced cell phones out there have the 2mp and up but most smartphones and PPC's seem to be stuck on 1.3, or were in January when the 700w was released.
    I agree. In fact, only just now are real PDA phones with 2.0 megapixel cameras (such as the HTC TyTN/Hermes) coming to market. The worry is that Palm is always so doggone slow in releasing new phones...but perhaps the 700wx is a sign that updates will be more frequent.

    Steve
  17. #37  
    So back when new Intel's were coming out every month, was everone available for a free upgrade for 8 months? I remember when 1GHZ processors came out...8 months later they were passed 2GHZ already. I have every program I want on my treo, and never run out of memory. I can't open a VERY LARGE pdf with picsel viewer, but thats IT. Download magic button for free, instead of paying for lawyers' fees.
  18. xtant21's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    When some-one is defrauded, do you say "You should have known better, why are you trying to get the conman arrested?" I hope not. You say "You should have known better, you better report him to the police so he does not do the same to the next greedy *****".

    Palm has already settled two class action law suites, one for Sudden USB Death Syndrome, and one for the flip lid on the older Treo's.
    http://svenontech.com/mypalmlife/ind...-class-action/

    http://mytreo.net/archives/2006/08/p...tion-suit.html

    Palm is also currently the subject of a class action lawsuit alleging the Treo 600 and 650 was of poor quality, while advertised as being of high quality.
    http://classcounsel.com/news/treo.html

    Eventually Palm will learn how to behave responsibly.

    Surur
    In a case of someone actually being defrauded...then yes there should be a punishment made against whomever is defrauding you. When the 700w came out...those that were and did buy it KNEW what they were getting. We didn't know BEFORE it came out if it had 32mb or not...but when the money was planked down on the purchase of the unit...it was known that this thing had 32mb of RAM. Where was anyone deFRAUDed? People feel defrauded now because Palm is finally offering the 64mb version everyone also wanted.

    I took a wait and see approach...when the 700p was still in rumor land...we all thought it MIGHT come out but we didn't know. I don't feel defrauded that Palm turned out a Palm OS version after they turned out the WM5 version. I mean how DARE they put out another 700 with a letter after it when I just bought this one with a W on it? I'm going to sue them...where's my lawyer.

    As for the other settlements...that's what they are settlements. They said ok...to shut you up and make you go away we'll pay you some money. Do they really end up with a blame label attached to them...no. It's hush money...a legal way of telling you to keep your mouth shut and get off my back...or else. I'll pay you to not bring this up anymore. The last suit...it has no real grounds and won't make it. Almost any product you buy at wal-mart could be taken to court if the general public had to decide what is high quality and what is low quality. Sometimes...yes you get some defective units. I never saw Palm claim they are utilizing six sigma in their manufacturing process. Can anyone verify that for us?

    But...the hinge problem...that may be a TRUE design flaw...the hinge was designed and made flimsy. Could I agrue that you should treat your stuff better so you don't break the hinge...maybe. Where is the personal responsibility in the world anymore? Someone has to pay a lot of money because you couldn't make your gorilla paw treat an electronic device a little nicer? The fact that the 700w does not have more than 32mb in it does not detract from it functioning. It does work...just not the way you want it to. You wanted 64mb.

    Rumors swirled all over about new treos coming out all year this year and some people chose to buy the first one. Others decided to wait and see. At the rate things are going in this country I can't wait to see the first class action lawsuit filed against someone filing a class action lawsuit for filing a class action lawsuit.

    Quit trying to make it sound like you were cheated...you bought the best WM5 Treo available at the time. You were not mislead. And being a long time member of this board...I know you knew Palm was planning to launch 6 Treos this year...do we file a suit for every one of them because they may be better than the one you bought at the beginning of the year?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you suck forever!
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by adamt View Post
    Okay, folks, instead of starting a massive flame war over "how we got screwed as early adopters" and playing the blame game with Palm and Verizon, the point of this thread is to actually do something constructive and figure out how we can upgrade our units to the 700wx. Specifically, let's start with addressing the following questions:

    1) Will Verizon or Palm offer a trade-in or upgrade program for 700w owners to the 700wx?

    2) Will they offer to somehow retro-fit the existing 700w units?

    3) When will Verizon even carry the 700wx, if at all?

    4) Are Verizon business customers being given special treatment / upgrades or being notified of any special business programs?

    5) What exactly are Verizon CSR's saying about this right now? Do they have a clue what you're talking about when you call in about the 700wx?

    6) Any chance to get out of contracts over this?

    More questions and answers welcome!
    No sympathy here either. There is already an upgrade to the 700w but many of us are still waiting for an upgrade to our 650s.
  20. Fittske's Avatar
    Posts
    607 Posts
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    #40  
    All I can say is...
    Each and everyone who bought a treo 700w had 15 days to return it.

    Somewhere during that 15 days you learned that it only had 32MB of memory.

    On day 16, it becomes your fault not Palm's.

    Stop complaining.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions