Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    I recently went to a Verizon 700W from my Sprint 650 (and a T-Mobile 650). I have pros and cons for the differences in operations between W and P some of which are the service provider I think.

    But something I miss from the 650s was the "chat" mode when using SMS. When I replied to a message it would be listed immediately after the IN message so I could always see the history of the IN/OUT messages with others. And it kept all messages from a particular number together so I did not have to search to find the last message sent to or received from that number. It seemed to be the only reasonable way to do it.

    Is there any way to do that with the 700W? Is it the handset or the service provider.
    Treo 650, Treo 700W
    Windows XP-Pro
  2. #2  
    I'm 99% sure it's the handset. Many people love Palm OS Treo's because of the texting app Palm has on it, it's considered the best texting app. I felt the same way when I was trying out the ppc-6700, I wished it had a text messaging app like the 650.
    Jimmie Geddes
  3. #3  
    Give the program 'Txtman' a shot. I think it's exactly what your looking for.
  4. #4  
    Here's the link. It works on the 700w as well as the Q.

    http://benhirashima.com/software/
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
  5. psywzrd's Avatar
    Posts
    455 Posts
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvDucs
    Give the program 'Txtman' a shot. I think it's exactly what your looking for.
    I've tried it and didn't like it. While it's better than anything else that's available "aftermarket" for the 700w, it's nowhere near as good as the app on the 650. It's too slow,it doesn't integrate with the home screen at all, and it needs to be running at all times in order for your messages to go to that program rather than the built-in Outook app.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvDucs View Post
    Give the program 'Txtman' a shot. I think it's exactly what your looking for.
    Thanks for the input. I tried TxtMan and while it works per the publisher's information it really doesn't fit the bill since it doesn't integrate with the messenger service on the phone. Rather, it intercepts the messages and sorts them in a seperate app and the notification of receipt capablity is less than satisfactory. The app has to be running at all times and it does not incorporate messages on the phone prior to installation.

    I also thought it had a negative impact on overall device performance. The other thing I found was that when I uninstalled the app the messages that were being tracked by TxtMan were erased from my phone.
    Treo 650, Treo 700W
    Windows XP-Pro
  7. #7  
    It might be a good idea to list the features a sms chat app needs to have to be consider acceptable and give it to the developer.

    Some ideas:
    1) thread not only text messages that are received while the app is running, but also the msgs currently in poutlook.

    2) when intercepting msgs have an option to insert a copy into poutlook.

    3) make the app a system task so that the opsys will not try to kill it when it runs low on memory and have an option to start at boot.

    4) It must be light on ram and system performance.

    5) It must load fast (less than 5 seconds)

    6) It should be able to load in sms messages received while the pda is in suspend mode.

    I think this app needs to be written outside of the .Net framework to make it acceptable btw.

    Any others?
    Last edited by hannip; 08/25/2006 at 09:20 AM.
  8. psywzrd's Avatar
    Posts
    455 Posts
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    It might be a good idea to list the features a sms chat app needs to have to be consider acceptable and give it to the developer.

    Some ideas:
    1) thread not only text messages that are received while the app is running, but also the msgs currently in poutlook.

    2) when intercepting msgs have an option to insert a copy into poutlook.

    3) make the app a system task so that the opsys will not try to kill it when it runs low on memory and have an option to start at boot.

    4) It must be light on ram and system performance.

    5) It must load fast (less than 5 seconds)

    6) It should be able to load in sms messages received while the pda is in suspend mode.

    I think this app needs to be written outside of the .Net framework to make it acceptable btw.

    Any others?

    I'll make it even easier. Just give us the same SMS app that we had on the 650 and we'll all be happy.
  9. dimitri's Avatar
    Posts
    881 Posts
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    #9  
    Maybe we should send this to Palm and maybe just maybe we can get what it is that we want.
  10. #10  
    If you can wait that long that would be the preferred option
  11. dimitri's Avatar
    Posts
    881 Posts
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    If you can wait that long that would be the preferred option
    As for me I never had the Treo 650 so this SMS chat isn't that big of a deal for me. It sounds interesting but not a deal breaker in my case.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
    As for me I never had the Treo 650 so this SMS chat isn't that big of a deal for me. It sounds interesting but not a deal breaker in my case.
    It is not a deal breaker; I haven't thrown away my 700 because of it. But it sure is nice when you ask a question and you get a return note that is simply "yes". If the "yes" response is attached to the note sent it might put things in context without have to search through the "sent" and "inbox" folders to try and figure out which note might have prompted the response.

    Now that I said that, it would be helpful to at least be able to do away with folders in "messages". That way the in / out messages would be in chronological order and easier to track.

    I like the suggestion of being able to sync messages with OutLook as mentioned above but I don't track them like I USED to be able to track phone calls to Contacts with Agendus for Palm on my 650.
    Treo 650, Treo 700W
    Windows XP-Pro
  13. #13  
    It was neat but unecessary for the most part. And after a while, it slowed down the SMS app too much.
  14. psywzrd's Avatar
    Posts
    455 Posts
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
    As for me I never had the Treo 650 so this SMS chat isn't that big of a deal for me. It sounds interesting but not a deal breaker in my case.
    I can see why you might say that since you never had the 650. It's one of those things where once you get used to it, you can't have it any other way (kinda' like once you have Tivo, you can't imagine living without it).

    I'm so puzzled as to why Palm couldn't figure out a way to give us this same capability on the 700w. I'll be very curious to see if it made its way into the 700wx (or whatever Sprint's version is called).
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by psywzrd View Post
    I can see why you might say that since you never had the 650. It's one of those things where once you get used to it, you can't have it any other way (kinda' like once you have Tivo, you can't imagine living without it).

    I'm so puzzled as to why Palm couldn't figure out a way to give us this same capability on the 700w. I'll be very curious to see if it made its way into the 700wx (or whatever Sprint's version is called).
    I'm using an 8125 without this feature and don't mind at all. When I want to send a text msg I don't have to wait the 5second count I used to when I had a bunch of txts from a person sitting there using my 650.
  16. psywzrd's Avatar
    Posts
    455 Posts
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I'm using an 8125 without this feature and don't mind at all. When I want to send a text msg I don't have to wait the 5second count I used to when I had a bunch of txts from a person sitting there using my 650.

    Not sure I understand what you're saying. Please explain...

    Also, it's unbelievably annoying when you try to delete messages from the 700w's SMS app. Let's say you received 20 SMS messages and responded 20 times (and we all know that's not a high number). To delete the messages you have to first delete all of the messages from the inbox. Then you have to delete the sent items from the sent items folder. Finally, you have to delete all messages from the deleted items folder. That's three steps to accomplish what you can basically do in one step on the 650. Not to mention that with the 650 you at least have a record of your conversation that keeps everything in context. With the 700w, all you have are a bunch of messages with no context and it's very difficult to follow the messages if you need to refer back to them for any reason.
  17. #17  
    I seem to remember a PURGE function on the 650.... that was nice...
  18. #18  
    here is another one. i dont know how good it is though.

    http://www.trianglepowers.com/ppc670...App.aspx?ID=40

    its called sms threader 0.9
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by benjimatt View Post
    here is another one. i dont know how good it is though.

    http://www.trianglepowers.com/ppc670...App.aspx?ID=40

    its called sms threader 0.9
    I think you need to use this version:

    http://www.trianglepowers.com/ppc670...App.aspx?ID=37

    The one you posted is for the WM smartphone OS, not the PPC OS as the treo 700w/wx is.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by psywzrd View Post
    Not sure I understand what you're saying. Please explain...

    Also, it's unbelievably annoying when you try to delete messages from the 700w's SMS app. Let's say you received 20 SMS messages and responded 20 times (and we all know that's not a high number). To delete the messages you have to first delete all of the messages from the inbox. Then you have to delete the sent items from the sent items folder. Finally, you have to delete all messages from the deleted items folder. That's three steps to accomplish what you can basically do in one step on the 650. Not to mention that with the 650 you at least have a record of your conversation that keeps everything in context. With the 700w, all you have are a bunch of messages with no context and it's very difficult to follow the messages if you need to refer back to them for any reason.
    Actually, you can save a lot of this effort. Go to the account you want to clear out and go to "tools>clear "xxxxx account". This will put all inbox and sent into deleted items. Then click "tools>Emopty deleted items". Whole process takes only a couple seconds.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net

Posting Permissions